Power amp, or Bi-wire, or new speakers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

Hello everyone.

I am a complete hifi beginner so please forgive anything obvious. I am hoping for some pointers from people on here with considerably greater knowledge than me!

I have a humble setup of a Linn Classik Music connected to Bowers and Wilkins 601 S2, single wired at present. I am fortunate to have some funds to spend to improve what I am having and do not know the best thing to do? I have read some reviews but got conflicting messages so hoping I can seek some advice.

I am considering wither upgrading my speakers and leaning towards KEF LS50, or possibly 2nd hand PMC's. The other possible options would be to buy a power amp and biwire my setup and retain my existing speakers until I can afford to upgrade these.

My queston is which has the greatest musical benefit?

1) add a Power amp

2) Biwiring (appreciate can also be with a power amp)

3) best quality speakers I can afford.

I am in search of the best sound quality possible for my budget, and can and will upgrade elements as I can afford them. Which should I pick first?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you go for option 1): be sure to use the pre-outs (thus bypassing the power amp in the Linn, and using it purely as a pre-amp).

Forget option 2): money wasted.

Option 3) is sensible too.

Set a budget. Go to some shops. Be sure to use your own stuff in the demo (if at all possible) --- once you've narrowed your options, see if a home demo is possible, before pulling the trigger.

(personally, I think I'd go for option 1)

Oh, and welcome to the club!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have really liked the combination of current Linn amps and LS50s....can you get down to a Linn/Kef dealer and try stuff out?

I too would forget Option 2.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thank you for replies.

I have already looked at a LK85 and these are well within my budget...

So to sum up comments so far. In order of importance:

- I should get a power amp first. (and forget abut biwiring). Maybe a LK85. However I plan to trial stuff to see how it sounds.

- I should upgrade my speakers but this is less important than the power amp.

- I should forget about biwiring. This is a wate of time and money. (is this always the case?)

Another question then - Some other reviews are excellents for Linn power amps with Linn Speakers and Aktiv cards present. Should I think about getting a Linn power amp, Linn speaker and Aktiv card or would the the much newer KEF LS50/PMC speaker options be better?

Thank you for all answers so far.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
None of it will make you enjoy music more. But if you want to enjoy the equipment itself and this hobby then my vote goes to Linn power amp, Linn speaker and Aktiv card. Looks cooler to me.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If equipment made people enjoy music more, older gents with high priced hifi systems will enjoy music more than teenagers with cheap IEMs. We know this isn't the case.
When you buy new equipment it makes you happy and those happy hormones mix with the music listening experience (of usually million times heard albums) and it comes off as better overall. As soon as the gear novelty wears off you are back to the boring pure music listening, so you then seek another fix, an upgrade. Same thing with CD and Vinyl hoarders that have thousands out of which they only listened to maybe 20% of it.
I'm a box swapper and I love gear, but I'm not fooling myself that it makes me enjoy music more.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If equipment made people enjoy music more, older gents with high priced hifi systems will enjoy music more than teenagers with cheap IEMs. We know this isn't the case. When you buy new equipment it makes you happy and those happy hormones mix with the music listening experience (of usually million times heard albums) and it comes off as better overall. As soon as the gear novelty wears off you are back to the boring pure music listening, so you then seek another fix, an upgrade. Same thing with CD and Vinyl hoarders that have thousands out of which they only listened to maybe 20% of it. I'm a box swapper and I love gear, but I'm not fooling myself that it makes me enjoy music more.

older gents! - you are being kind Vlad (for a change). - very negative post Vlad. My hormones are......oops! Multiple 100s of CDs - all over the place. And we don't like music as much! tut tut

By the way - what you say - it's mostly true!

tonky

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You decided to take negative interpretation of it. That is your problem, not mine.

You believe electrical appliances make one enjoy music more, I don't. Let's agree to disagree.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
You decided to take negative interpretation of it. That is your problem, not mine.

You believe electrical appliances make one enjoy music more, I don't. Let's agree to disagree.

Sorry Vlad - mollom got me the other day - couldn't reply.

I was just being facetious - I actually agreed with your post - as much as it pains me too!. The thrill of music when you are younger (live and/or recorded) is a feeling you can't bottle. It's still very good now but the hormones are different!

regards tonky-

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts