Power amp match w. Arcam A85

Soul-Man

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have the Arcam diva A85 running my Dali Ikon 6.

Considering adding a power amp to the set up. As the Ikons are an "open" rather "bright" speaker, I'm looking for a warm sounding power amp, maybe go bi-amped.

Any tips, you guys?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
But isolating the pre from the power is supposed to bring gains in quality.

Whether the gains are worth the extra outlay though, I couldn't say, as I've never done it. If I bought an extra P85, I'd probably be looking at tri-wirable speakers to use all the power amp available to me.
heavy-metal-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe so if they are dedicated pre and power combinations gains can certainly be had.

Simply not using the power amp in your integrated amp and using exactly the same power amp in a different box, nah, no gain to be had.

A

Anonymous

I would think that using the integrated amp as a pre amp would make some difference. With the power supply not having to supply the power amp part of the integrated amp, the pre amp part would receive a "cleaner" supply. Isn't this the idea behind pre/power combos?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is the idea behind seperate pre and power amps and it can work well as it is designed from the ground up.

Not using the power amp in your intergrated amp will not make the power supplies to the preamp any cleaner. The power supplies for the preamp are well regulated at a much lower voltage and are far removed from any fluctuations from the power amp. Hoping to get any audible improvment from this is fiction at best.

Soul-Man

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! The P85 from Ebay looks good. I live in Denmark, however. Just discovered a Delta P290 from a local seller. Around 80 british pounds. How you reckon this would match the A85?

(Must say so far the Arcam really struggles to improve on my vintage Pioneer A88-x, but hopefully a bi-amped solution will let it shine)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Delta 290P would be a possible, but it'll be pretty elderly by now - would that worry you?

Not sure how the gain on this one would match up with the integrated you have - the point of mentioning the P85 was that it is gain-matched with the A85

Soul-Man

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I written Arcam support an email, asking if the Delta 290 would match in terms of gain etc.

Arcam claim to be matching gain between all current models, and since the Divas... but it would be nice to know if this thing goes back to older models.

Soul-Man

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I written Arcam support an email, asking if the Delta 290 would match in terms of gain etc.

Arcam claim to be matching gain between all current models, and since the Divas... but it would be nice to know if this thing goes back to older models.

Soul-Man

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Patience or not :roll:

Bidding on a P85 (or FMJ P25) failed due to sellers not wanting to ship internationally or prize levels...

But this would work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-A85-Amplifier-/170989727223?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27cfc82df7

I mean:switch on the back allows me to bypass the preamp and control section of the A85 making it work like a P85. The volumebutton doesn't work on this one... But as I see it, it's completely irrelevant when I intend to use this a the power amp, driving either LF or HF.

What u think?

Soul-Man

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Patience or not :roll:

Bidding on a P85 (or FMJ P25) failed due to sellers not wanting to ship internationally or prize levels...

But this would work

I mean:switch on the back allows me to bypass the preamp and control section of the A85 making it work like a P85. The volumebutton doesn't work on this one... But as I see it, it's completely irrelevant when I intend to use this a the power amp, driving either LF or HF.

What u think?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Aaah... Sorry.... Didn;t realise you meant getting another A85 and using that as a P85.

Yeah, why not, as long as it's only the pre-amp section that's faulty.

EDIT: That one looks a bit ratty for £150. It's obviously been abused and I'd be worried about the longevity of such an item.

I still think you should remain patient and hold out for a P85 in good condition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts