Power amp for Creek OBH 22 passive preamp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently researching possible amplification options for my (soon to be got) Monopulse Model S speakers.

I like look of the simple passive Creek pre, but am really unsure what power amp to go with it as I understand careful matching is required?

I don't want to spend anymore than necessary and s/hand is fine.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

The speakers describe well, a decent 24db/oct HF filter should make it sound easier at high levele too. Some people in hi-fi connect up tweeters with a single capacitor (Russ Andrews for instance) without realising that the lower frequencies get through and create huge IM distortions as the driver excursion is exceeded.

As far as I can tell the Creek is a rather expensive pot (I'd expect to be out of pots at that price), so you want something high-impedance to be at the other end like a tube amp. Shame it's not a BDT, transformer or a switched attenuator etc.

I'd tend to go with an integrated tube amp, Yaqin MC10L springs to mind, many other cheapies are not as good sounding or required some DIY to bring them up to scratch (like changing the coupling capacitors, tubes etc).

The most careful matching you need is the amp - speaker one TBH, of which tubes are invariably easier to match.

matthewpiano

Instead of the seperate pre, I'd be inclined to look at the Creek Evolution 5350SE or, better still, the Creek Destiny 2 integrateds. These match the passive pre design to a Creek power amp stage and I feel they are some of the best transistor integrateds around.

Alternatively look at some valve designs as Globs suggests.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Globs said:
The speakers describe well, a decent 24db/oct HF filter should make it sound easier at high levele too. Some people in hi-fi connect up tweeters with a single capacitor (Russ Andrews for instance) without realising that the lower frequencies get through and create huge IM distortions as the driver excursion is exceeded.

what you say is essentially correct albeit not always relevant. if you have low distortion, wide bandwidth tweeters they can be easily connected to first order xovers without any fear for IM distortion or lobing. look here as Seas or Dynaudio or (even better) Manger. Manger is particularly interesting with their innovative wide bandwidth driver which allows them to build 2-way speakers which cut off at 140 Hz (!) and the wide bandwidth driver (it's hard to call it a tweeter) is connected to first order xover. 1st order xovers have some major advantages over other designs, especially the fact that they are transient perfect.

as for amp suggestion. those Monopulses are very tube friendly speakers so I see no reason not to go in that direction. maybe some Icon Audio Stereo 40 or if you can splash out more then Unison Research Preludio SET (I know a place where they can be had for 1500GBP ex-dem).

TRENDING THREADS