Power Amp and speakers to give a Linn Majik DS-i more bounce

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to get new speakers, floorstanders only, and possibly a power amp to see if I can get more bounce from a Linn Majik DS-i.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a possible power amp to use with the Linn? I know the DS-i can be used as a pre-amp but I have a feeling that if I just get a Linn power amp it is still going to sound a little sluggish so I was thinking perhaps a Quad or even a Naim.

I would have about £5,000 to spend on both the speakers and the amp.

The room would be 14 feet square, I listen to progressive rock, 80's, classical and some pop.

I hope someone could help.

Thank you.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried the active speakers that go with the Majik range? I am not sure if they come in at your price point or not. I would imagine they will give you the best synergy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Juxter, I have the Majik DS so I know how good a source it is; but I don't get on with Linn amps at all.

I would propose trying Musical Fidelity M6 PRX (£2995 - should get discount if haggle) + Proac Studio 140 (£1690) or Response D18 (£2145 - my choice).

IMO Stay away from Linn amps/speakers......better can be had for the money.

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I have also been considering a pair of Martin Logan Purity active speakers, available for just over £2,000. I will have to listen to them to see how they sound but the idea of them is attractive and they are certainly nice to look at. I am a bit unsure of a couple of things with els speakers though, do they last as long as cone speakers? Bass isn't a problem and neither is space but the wall I was hoping to put them near has a sloping ceiling, would this hav too much of an effect on the sound quality?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts