power amp - £300 or less

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently looking for a power amp preferably small for not really any more than £300. I will go second hand so then i will be getting more for my money, i have looked at some cyrus amps, but you seem to only be able to get the older models for my budget... are they as good as the newer ones?? i was also was looking at a linn lk100 which looks great but is a little bigger than i was hoping for, I have seen these selling for around £300 second hand. Does anyone have any more suggestions?? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Quad 405 from ebay, ideally MK2 for about £150 'ish. Then send it to Quad for a service for less than £100. You'll have quite an amp then. It'll last forever, Quad customer service is superb and you can get it upgraded really easily to many different levels. Very good used purchase.

T

the record spot

Between the two of you, you've covered my suggestions. Linn - the LK85 or the LK100 are two excellent power amps; the Kolektor/LK85 pre/power combo picked up a top 5 star award in WHF about 9 years back. The Quad power amps run for ever and as igglebert says you can get them serviced; series 300 (33/303 pre/power) are very popular these days, but this really is vintage stuff. Probably more of a project than the 405 to be honest...

Both the 300 and 400 series are out there aplenty. One other option that springs to mind is the Naim range, in the "olive" green finish. Holds its value well and good dealer and support network out there too. Quality is a given.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Quad 405 from ebay, ideally MK2 for about £150 'ish. Then send it to Quad for a service for less than £100. You'll have quite an amp then. It'll last forever, Quad customer service is superb and you can get it upgraded really easily to many different levels. Very good used purchase.

Would that be the very 405 that sets your ears on fire and currently resides in a drawer my friend?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

how about a pair of mono blocks x-a50 from musical fidelity very nice indeed. then if you want home cinema -you can buy more for centre-- speaker and surrounds this makes home cinema really sing - they come up for sale on ebay often. a pair monos about your budget £300

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
igglebert:Quad 405 from ebay, ideally MK2 for about £150 'ish. Then send it to Quad for a service for less than £100. You'll have quite an amp then. It'll last forever, Quad customer service is superb and you can get it upgraded really easily to many different levels. Very good used purchase.

Would that be the very 405 that sets your ears on fire and currently resides in a drawer my friend?
emotion-5.gif

Haha, it's out again and has been for a while. Unless I turn it up quite loud it's good. The thing is, it's a lot more revealing than my RA03 and gives more of everything. Yes, it's not the softest of sounds on the market but at low to medium levels (in my set up) it gives a crystal clear sound. Amazing midrange. Going to get it mod'ed and will experiment with valve pres. Part of my battle is an extremely reflective room and I'm only going to win when I sell my house and move on...at least it works Mr DM, and it's nearly as old as me... :)

A

Anonymous

I think the Quad might be a little too big for me. But i wish somthing of that size that could fit in my bedroom as that would make this alot easier. I have still not decided what to get but i will keep looking. Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

I would be tempted to look at the NVA ebay shop. Very well regarded kit. A30 power amp is £300 new.

TRENDING THREADS