Possible replacements for my Mission 753's

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi all.
I have been slowly upgrading my hi fi as and when I can afford too and have found an item that proved to be an upgrade. I have managed to sell some non audio related stuff and now have a budget of upto £1300. I would like to replace the mission 753`s with another pair of floor standers. I will off course be home trialling the shortlisted speakers but was just wondering about what too try out, I know it's very much down to my personal audio taste but would value your input. I am not over keen absolute detail or anything that's bright sounding would rather be able to listen comfatably for longer periods of time. Have a Rega elex r, rp3, audiolab cdt 6000 and denafrips ares ii dac. Room size 14ft by 17ft. Was thinking about the wharfdale evo 4.4 maybe. Any thoughts on system matching and speakers apropiate to room size would be appreciated. Also with my budget has speaker tech moved on enough to actually hear an improvement over the 753's. Many thanks in advance

Personally I would say our the Missions are still working fine then keep them.
the Missions were £699 when they first came out and I so I they can be bettered by any speakers below £1300.
If you are determined to get something new then I would suggest Dali Oberon 7 or Focal Chora 826

Reactions: treesey

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Personally I would say our the Missions are still working fine then keep them.
the Missions were £699 when they first came out and I so I they can be bettered by any speakers below £1300.
If you are determined to get something new then I would suggest Dali Oberon 7 or Focal Chora 826
Thanks for taking the time replying, just for clarity are you saying you don't think they can be bettered by any speakers below 1300 or can be? Many thanks. Have seen good things mentioned by about the 2 speakers you suggest was a bit worried if the focals might be a bit forward for my liking though but will compile a short list for home testing. Thanks again

Thanks for taking the time replying, just for clarity are you saying you don't think they can be bettered by any speakers below 1300 or can be? Many thanks. Have seen good things mentioned by about the 2 speakers you suggest was a bit worried if the focals might be a bit forward for my liking though but will compile a short list for home testing. Thanks again
I am saying it might be difficult to find a better speaker below your maximum budget.
Yes, you will find good speakers under your budget but only you can determine if they are better than what you already have bearing in mind you might not get a great deal back if you try to sell those Missions on.
The speakers I mentioned I have heard and think they might work well in your room with your other equipment, but only you can confirm that.

Last edited:

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
I am saying it might be difficult to find a better speaker below your maximum budget.
Yes, you will find good speakers under your budget but only you can determine if they are better than what you already have bearing in mind you might not get a great deal back if you try to sell those Missions on.
The speakers I mentioned I have heard and think they might work well in your room with your other equipment, but only you can confirm that.
Awesome ok got it, thanks again much appreciated. Cheers

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I completely agree and understand this.
Just happened to come across the video and since it was demonstrating the makes mentioned in a £2k HiFi system at the 2020 Bristol HiFi show, I am assuming it must sound good otherwise they would not be demonstrating it.
Certainly worth an audition

treesey

Hi all.
I have been slowly upgrading my hi fi as and when I can afford too and have found an item that proved to be an upgrade. I have managed to sell some non audio related stuff and now have a budget of upto £1300. I would like to replace the mission 753`s with another pair of floor standers. I will off course be home trialling the shortlisted speakers but was just wondering about what too try out, I know it's very much down to my personal audio taste but would value your input. I am not over keen absolute detail or anything that's bright sounding would rather be able to listen comfatably for longer periods of time. Have a Rega elex r, rp3, audiolab cdt 6000 and denafrips ares ii dac. Room size 14ft by 17ft. Was thinking about the wharfdale evo 4.4 maybe. Any thoughts on system matching and speakers apropiate to room size would be appreciated. Also with my budget has speaker tech moved on enough to actually hear an improvement over the 753's. Many thanks in advance

Absolutely get some modern speakers on loan so that you can compare, but if you are happy with the tonal balance of the 753 I can't imagine any modern speaker at that price is going to come close to the imaging, soundstage and especially vocal clarity of the 753s.
I recently sourced some 2nd hand PMC GB1i, which are only :D ten? years old in design, were 1750-1500 GBP list price new back then, and they are nowhere near as good as the Missions in the above traits.... (compared using my various sets of kit, two very different rooms, and ears)

If you do decide to sell the 753s (after a long period of time with any new speakers, just to be sure), prices for good condition seem to be around 400, and 600+ for as-new.

Last edited:

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
I completely agree and understand this.
Just happened to come across the video and since it was demonstrating the makes mentioned in a £2k HiFi system at the 2020 Bristol HiFi show, I am assuming it must sound good otherwise they would not be demonstrating it.
Certainly worth an audition
Thanks for posting

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Mission have a certain sound and when looking for other speakers, more expensive or cheaper I found most brands didn't have the drive of the missions, it's a hard sound to shake from memory.
To be fair that is a very valid point and might be the reason I have had mine from new way back in the early 90s....maybe the grass isn't always greener. Many thanks

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Absolutely get some modern speakers on loan so that you can compare, but if you are happy with the tonal balance of the 753 I can't imagine any modern speaker at that price is going to come close to the imaging, soundstage and especially vocal clarity of the 753s.
I recently sourced some 2nd hand PMC GB1i, which are only :D ten? years old in design, were 1750-1500 GBP list price new back then, and they are nowhere near as good as the Missions in the above traits.... (compared using my various sets of kit, two very different rooms, and ears)

If you do decide to sell the 753s (after a long period of time with any new speakers, just to be sure), prices for good condition seem to be around 400, and 600+ for as-new.
Hi Treesey really interesting to hear thanks for sharing, I think some home demos are in order and side by side comparisons. Will keep you updated on how I get on, think I might be surprised at the results from the sounds of it😁 thanks again

Reactions: treesey

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
To be fair that is a very valid point and might be the reason I have had mine from new way back in the early 90s....maybe the grass isn't always greener. Many thanks

A sound that is very similar is Klipsch, I'd start there. Then maybe if funds allow look at revel or JBL they all seem to have that mission drive and sparkle, JBL combining more of the elements that made mission great back in the day.

BUT i have heard stories of mission re-releasing the 700 series, might be worth the wait (if you can) and see what they come up with. But i highly doubt they'll be cheap like they once were. Especially looking that their latest heritage release.

I wish i kept my 703's, in all honesty, they offered so much that you just don't get today, sure they had their faults but man they were fun! I still have my baby 700s (late 90's early 00) and they still surprise me today with how good they actually are what are they now, 24 year old. If had to scale back from my multi 1000 quid system and use them (700s) with my NAD 320bee i'd happy camper.

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
A sound that is very similar is Klipsch, I'd start there. Then maybe if funds allow look at revel or JBL they all seem to have that mission drive and sparkle, JBL combining more of the elements that made mission great back in the day.

BUT i have heard stories of mission re-releasing the 700 series, might be worth the wait (if you can) and see what they come up with. But i highly doubt they'll be cheap like they once were. Especially looking that their latest heritage release.

I wish i kept my 703's, in all honesty, they offered so much that you just don't get today, sure they had their faults but man they were fun! I still have my baby 700s (late 90's early 00) and they still surprise me today with how good they actually are what are they now, 24 year old. If had to scale back from my multi 1000 quid system and use them (700s) with my NAD 320bee i'd happy camper.
Thanks, you hit the nail on the head there, for me it has to be fun to listen too, I never have been one to search for the ultimate sound from a techincal viewpoint it's what sound I like and ultimately what puts a smile on your face, my hearing is quite over sensitive to harshness in the mid range or treble regions. Will shortlist a couple of pairs, I will have nose at the klipsch, then at least I can compare and probably just be happy and thankful with what I have... Thanks again

Reactions: twinkletoes

TRENDING THREADS