POSSIBLE CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 650A FAULT...

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello there.

To keep this brief, is it possible that a Cambridge Audio 650A, Cambridge Audio 640C, and a pair of Eltax Symphony 6.4 speakers could in any way be incompatible?

Many thanks.

aml74 said:
Hello there.

To keep this brief, is it possible that a Cambridge Audio 650A, Cambridge Audio 640C, and a pair of Eltax Symphony 6.4 speakers could in any way be incompatible?

Many thanks.

Why do you think they might be?

I would say probably not but you could do better on the speaker front. These are quite large and require a good bit of room. The are also quite an old design. What size of room did you want to use them in? Do you have any chance of auditioning them or are you thinking of buying blind off of eBay?

Also you mention 'possible fault', do you already own this set-up?

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello Al.

Yes, i already own this set-up. The incompatibility question was just a shot in the dark, as i am at my wits end.

I am experiencing (all too often!) sound drop-out from one speaker or the other. Interestingly, switching from CD to AUX and back again restores sound from both speakers.

Assuming this was an amplifier problem i had Richer Sounds send it to their engineers - who heard no fault whatsoever over the course of six weeks.

Naturally the problem reoccurred once i got the amp home...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
aml74 said:
Hello Al.

Yes, i already own this set-up. The incompatibility question was just a shot in the dark, as i am at my wits end.

I am experiencing (all too often!) sound drop-out from one speaker or the other. Interestingly, switching from CD to AUX and back again restores sound from both speakers.

Assuming this was an amplifier problem i had Richer Sounds send it to their engineers - who heard no fault whatsoever over the course of six weeks.

Naturally the problem reoccurred once i got the amp home...

Try another set of phono cables, then each input by turn.

Sounds like cables to me, specially if the amp checks out ok.

By the way, 6 weeks is unacceptable, complain long and hard.

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello Dave.

I recently bought new cables (Cambridge Audio) to replace my unbranded ones, and also some Cambridge speaker wire. No change, unfortunately.

I involved Richer Sounds customer service as i was disatissfied with the service. They instructed my local branch to refund the £40 i had paid in advance.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It certainly sounds like something wrong at the front end as switching the source rectifies it. Just on first principles it would seem to be something wrong with the source selector but it's very odd that the testing didn't find that. Did they just test the amplifier or the source and speakers as well?

Chris

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello Chris.

According to Richer Sounds the engineers performed a "soak" test on the amplifier and found no fault.

That's all the information i was given.

wclough

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
You could try and get the use of another amp, any amp, and see if the problems goes away with everything else as it was

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Tried that. I informed Richer Sounds (and customer service) that there was no longer a problem when i plugged in my old Cambridge AM1...

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't honestly say how old the amp is. I bought it off ebay maybe six months ago, and the fault occurred overnight a few months later.

My old Cambridge AM1 works fine with this set-up, as did the 540R which preceeded the 650A.

The amp is connected to the 640C and a Toshiba laptop.

A strange one. As a matter of interest when you tried the AM1 did you have both CD and laptop connected up?

Perhaps the only other course of action is to find an independent engineer in your area although this, eventually, could cost more than the amp did in the first place.

It does however have 6 line level inputs, you could try completely different sockets.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
If what you say is true its obvious the amp has a problem. Some times you can get bad luck with intermittent problems when taken for repairs, thats if cambrigde audio is not trying to play a qiuck one.

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
A strange one. As a matter of interest when you tried the AM1 did you have both CD and laptop connected up?

Perhaps the only other course of action is to find an independent engineer in your area although this, eventually, could cost more than the amp did in the first place.

It does however have 6 line level inputs, you could try completely different sockets.
Yes, had exactly the same set-up.

I have tried different inputs - but not all six.

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Native_bon said:
If what you say is true its obvious the amp has a problem. Some times you can get bad luck with intermittent problems when taken for repairs, thats if cambrigde audio is not trying to play a qiuck one.

"If what you say is true..." ?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had a problem in the past where the main driver cuts out on left of right during play with some old speakers - this was during listening at low volumes where the speaker maybe wasn't getting enough power due to the volume control being quite low. Once the volume was turned up the drivers would be fine. I would look at the speakers as well unless you know the amp is defeinitely faulty. Can you test the amp with some cheap spare speakers. For example, ones from a micro-mini system. 6 Ohms, roughly.

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I did try the amp with some Cambridge S20 bookshelf speakers recently, but only briefly.

The problem didn't occur but the music sounded so "thin" i reconnected the Eltax and took my chances.

It tends to happen more when i adjust volume.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It might be a good idea to run the 650a with a different set of speakers for 1-2 hours at various volumes. If there are no problems with the new set of speakers - then its most likely your existing speakers that need changing.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
aml74 said:
I did try the amp with some Cambridge S20 bookshelf speakers recently, but only briefly.

The problem didn't occur but the music sounded so "thin" i reconnected the Eltax and took my chances.

It tends to happen more when i adjust volume.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that this old amp has issues at its front end, maybe with the source selector or maybe it's an intermittent volume control. I don't know if it is old enough to have the old style volume control but if so they would wear out after enough use and then the circuit would be intermittent. You need an independent electrical engineer to have a look for you.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
I take it the 650A is out of warranty.

Assuming it is I would suggest, before taking it to a qualified electrician, is to disconnect from the mains, take off the lid, and give the volume pot / source select control a liberal coating of this:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-contact-cleaner-200ml-jp17t

I didn't recommend that as I am wary of "amateurs" fiddling inside electrical equipment but it is what I would do too.
regular_smile.gif

Chris

aml74

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
I take it the 650A is out of warranty.

Assuming it is I would suggest, before taking it to a qualified electrician, is to disconnect from the mains, take off the lid, and give the volume pot / source select control a liberal coating of this:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-contact-cleaner-200ml-jp17t
Out of warranty i'm afraid.

Is what you suggest as simple as removing the lid and spraying the components? I like the idea, but don't know if i trust myself...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts