Portable Freeview aerial - please recommend

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
If your bedroom window faces the transmitter and you can site your aerial on the ledge, the Telecam TCE2001 with amplifier has worked exceptionally well for me in the past. However, as with all indoor aerials there are provisos.My previous TV was a Sony 32V5500 set-up as above, and it picked up and held on to pretty much every Freeview channel going perfectly (including HD through my then HD box). However, when I temporarily moved in to another room on the other side of the house I lost an awful lot of channels. I can't now remember exactly which ones, but I recall that most of the BBC disappeared.Also, the quality of your tuner will make a significant difference. My Panasonic DVD recorder couldn't tune in to an awful lot of channels, and this continued with my replacement Panasonic TV which I recently bought as well. My Icecrypt HD box performed perfectly but having a TV with an in-built HD tuner seemed to defeat the object, so I had a disused Sky dish hooked up for £66 instead for freesat (sorted!)

If your bedroom window faces the transmitter and you can site your aerial on the ledge, the Telecam TCE2001 with amplifier has worked exceptionally well for me in the past. However, as with all indoor aerials there are provisos.

My previous TV was a Sony 32V5500 set-up as above, and it picked up and held on to pretty much every Freeview channel going perfectly (including HD through my then HD box). However, when I temporarily moved in to another room on the other side of the house I lost an awful lot of channels. I can't now remember exactly which ones, but I recall that most of the BBC disappeared.

Also, the quality of your tuner will make a significant difference. My Panasonic DVD recorder couldn't tune in to an awful lot of channels, and this continued with my replacement Panasonic TV which I recently bought as well (my Sony never missed one). My Icecrypt HD box performed perfectly but having a TV with an in-built HD tuner seemed to defeat the object, so I had a disused Sky dish hooked up for £66 instead for freesat (sorted!)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was contemplating buying one recently, but was told by the guy in Richer Sounds that unless I was in a fantastic reception area, it was a waste of time.

The one that caught my eye for great reviews, and the one that came top in a survey by the Freeview people was this one http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5890712/SLX-Amplified-High-Performance-Indoor-TV-Aerial/Product.html?searchstring=AERIAL&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

I suppose if it doesn't work, you can always return it.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I was contemplating buying one recently, but was told by the guy in Richer Sounds that unless I was in a fantastic reception area, it was a waste of time.

Generally I totally agree.

I probably also should have added that our local transmitter at Lark Stoke is 10-12 miles away facing from my bedroom window which will obviously make the difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts