pop up ads

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Is it me...on certain threads or most there appears a high lighted word, can be any word [in blue] if you scroll over it, or click on it thinking it will take you to some thing conected to the thread an advert pops up either Tesco or Asda, in some cases it will take you to there sight, very annoying,can any one explain, or is it paid advertising from these stores. :wall:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Andrew on this. Heaven knows I have highlighted the Stuff, blocking pop-up, annoyance a number of times without anything being done to sort it out but I have no experience of what you describe.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
Is it me...on certain threads or most there appears a high lighted word, can be any word [in blue] if you scroll over it, or click on it thinking it will take you to some thing conected to the thread an advert pops up either Tesco or Asda, in some cases it will take you to there sight, very annoying,can any one explain, or is it paid advertising from these stores. :wall:

How about taking a screen snapshot when it happens and posting a link to it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pioneer7,

You may be running a browser extension or add-on designed to create automatic hyperlinks when it spots certain words: it's an advertising service, and one you should be able to disable simply by removing the extension, which may be described as a 'browser manager' or something similar.

Which browser are you using? Let me know and I'll have a look for extensions you may be running...

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
This happened to me about 2 moths ago and it was a "search" program that had installed into my browser toolbar when I downloaded another program (memo to self always check everything it says on the screen)

The one I had was something.do - sorry I can't remember the "something" but it ended .do

Had to block the browser form using it and uninstall it from the toolbar.

Sorry it's a bit vague, my browser history doesn't go back beyond 1 month to confirm the name

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
found it!

The one that affected me was snap.do and there was good advice on how to remove it on the web.

Symprtoms were as the OP described, random words became links to pop-up adverts

Ok, I misunderstood the OP's post as I was in a hurry. My problem is different: there's an invisible layer of an advert all over the screen. When I try to click a thread, I'm taken to the advert, usually Currys. It's very annoying.

(Even more annoying than the fact that the angry smiley doesn't work!)

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up

But you are asking the wrong question, my knowledge of computors is...well nowt but windows Xp if that helps

Can not think what I have done to have this happen, will ask my daughter later to confirm.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
EErrm ok windows xp home edition and google chrome if this helps :oops:

It's probably a sneaky bit of adware that's got into your computer somehow and is creating this text-to-link thing, called Text Enhance

To get rid of it:

Open Chrome, click on the customise and control icon (three bars or a picture of a spanner) top right of the Chrome screen, and go to Tools then Extensions.

Select the Text Enhance plugin from the list of extensions, and click Uninstall or Disable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts