Poor speaker placement

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I've had a re-jig of my second and third systems in the house. I now have a Denon mini system powering B&W601 S2 speakers, but the only place I can put the speakers without my wife going crazy is on their side directly on the floor under a bedside table. (i know!)

Table is like this: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70121230/

And the speaker sits UNDER the shelf.

My plan is to raise the speakers about 1.5" off the floor using the bottom plate with spikes from some speaker stands I have - before I butcher my stands, anyone think there will be any benefit considering the really poor placement?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Bedroom acoustics ??? A whole forum needed to itself. Try some bricks or bits of wood maybe to see if there is any difference. I suspect you will struggle to 'change' the sound whatever you do.

Cheers

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
sounds like you need to ditch the speakers and get headphones instead!

+1 and if she want to hear music place the speakers in the propor place... ;)

And Ikea sell this ones as well...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wandi/living-room/ikea-lack-wall-shelf-new/1001339308

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
They do sound quite bad. Too much bass, and I've lost a lot of treble.

Listening position? (you'll laugh) - the bedside tables are each side of the bed at the 'pillow' end, and the listening position is also at the 'pillow' end of the bed i.e my head is up against the same wall the speakers are up against!

The more I write on here, the more it dawns on me that I'll just have to put up with bass heavy music. :(

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Binman said:
They do sound quite bad. Too much bass, and I've lost a lot of treble.

Listening position? (you'll laugh) - the bedside tables are each side of the bed at the 'pillow' end, and the listening position is also at the 'pillow' end of the bed i.e my head is up against the same wall the speakers are up against!

The more I write on here, the more it dawns on me that I'll just have to put up with bass heavy music. :(

Man, why You even bother... That is the perfect positioning To headphones...

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Don't think divorce is on the cards just yet!!

Headphones - I have a pair, but they won't be practial as they tend to get in the way when I'm lying down - mainly listen to music in bedroom whilst trying to get to sleep.

I think I'll try elevating them with wood/bricks to see if it makes a difference. Failing that I'll look into a discreet 2.1 system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts