Poor motion handling on Samsung LED - what do I do?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm dissatisfied with the second 32-inch LED set I've bought in the last few months. The first, a Sony KDL-32EX703, went back due to backlight bleed, and now I'm starting to get weary of my Samsung UE32C6530's woeful way with motion.

It's so irritating because in virtually every other way the Samsung is very very good - fine object detail in particular is excellent, and the backlight far more uniform than the Sony. But, considering the praise given to the motion handling of most Samsung sets these days, it seems this one missed the boat! The set really struggles to cope with even basic motion during many Blu-rays and Freeview broadcasts - people's faces in particular have a tendency to smudge all over the place, and there is also a very odd kind of 'red lag' issue often present, where people's hairlines and the edges of their faces display a bright red shadow around them when they move. The 'LED Motion Plus' feature seems to do nothing except dim the picture severely, while the 'Motion Plus' options also fail to rid the image of these instabilities. I have fiddled endlessly with every single picture setting to try and minimise/eliminate these problems (including trying different combinations of settings). But I just can't seem to rid the picture of its smeary, smudgy and generally unstable appearance.

As much of a perfectionist as I admittedly am, after lots of deliberation I now firmly believe these issues are distracting enough to warrant some kind of action. But I just don't know whether to take this up with the retailer or with Samsung directly - the TV came with a 5-year warranty, but I'm unsure which party would investigate problems like this first? The Sony just got sent straight back to Amazon, no questions asked, but it's more complicated this time since the Samsung is being paid for on finance.

It's so frustrating since I'm very pleased with the TV in so many ways, but this is pretty much ruining my experience of using it, and as much as it pains me to take issue with yet another new TV, I just can't help it because I'm not completely satisfied.

Can anyone offer any advice please, whether you're one of the WHF team or someone who's had experience of this TV or of the same issues on any other models or manufacturers?

A

Anonymous

Liam. I also had the UE32C6530 for the bedroom to replace my 2007 TX32LMD70.. I bought it from John Lewis with the 5 years warranty and same as you, woeful, woeful motion handling. JL in Peterborough were brilliant and took it back. I paid a bit more and got the Panasonic TXL32D25. Totally different league. I for one won't touch a sammy again, allthough some are impressive. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Have u tried the following settings?

LED Motion Plus - cinema

Film mode - auto 2

Motion Plus - custom blur reduction 10, judder reduction 0

smart led - standard

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
jamesf348:
Liam. I also had the UE32C6530 for the bedroom to replace my 2007 TX32LMD70.. I bought it from John Lewis with the 5 years warranty and same as you, woeful, woeful motion handling. JL in Peterborough were brilliant and took it back. I paid a bit more and got the Panasonic TXL32D25. Totally different league. I for one won't touch a sammy again, allthough some are impressive. Good luck.

Hi jamesf348,

Thanks so much for your comments, it's reassuring to know someone's had the same problem with the same TV! The Panasonic 32D25 has always been on my shortlist, mainly due to WHF's glowing review, but I was put off buying it because of the price (which seems silly now, since the Samsung was only £100 less!). Granted, I don't think it's as attractive as the Samsung, but if the dealer will play ball, I may now look into returning it and paying a little more for the Panny (luckily enough, the only two brands the dealer stocks are Samsung and Panasonic!). I'll report back on how I get on!

Just today received my Blu-ray copy of 24's eighth season (my favourite TV show ever) and in the dark opening scenes the Samsung just fell apart. Just tested the same scenes with my dad's 3-year old Panasonic TH-42PX70 plasma (only HD Ready), and the difference is night-and-day!! While the Samsung obviously has it beaten for fine detail and contrast, the Panny handles motion much, much more solidly, which is far more important in my mind!

So here's hoping that another Panasonic set will (finally!) give me the all-round performance I crave so much!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts