poor is poor, regardless of format

just one example if really poor production, sq, mix, whatever you call it.

Soulfly, Archangel album. i bought this on vinyl when it was released, it sounded horrific. bought it on cd recently and just got round to listening to it. yeah, horrific on cd too! how the hell do poor recordings get through the system and released these days?

no dynamics, flat, lifeless, scratchy, aweful.

i think i'm going to invest in a recording studio, cos i'm damn sure i could do better than the pro's.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

bigfish786 said:

Soulfly, Archangel album. i bought this on vinyl when it was released, it sounded horrific. bought it on cd recently and just got round to listening to it. yeah, horrific on cd too! how the hell do poor recordings get through the system and released these days?

i think i'm going to invest in a recording studio, cos i'm damn sure i could do better than the pro's.

I try not to concentrate on it too much given you’ll get some bad and then other good recordings. Also detracting from the music when there is often not much you can do, if all versions are similar. It’s more pleasing when a good recording does come along, as you can really appreciate it.

i've spent the whole day listening to quite a lot of CD's. some brand new, some are old favourites, but as soon as i put that soulfly cd on, it really burst the bubble of enjoyment i'd been living in all day.

i'd listened to Kreator, Tool, Trivium, Mastodon, etc and all their recordings sounded great. the Soulfly album was just so poor. i turned it off and put the TV on.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
i've spent the whole day listening to quite a lot of CD's. some brand new, some are old favourites, but as soon as i put that soulfly cd on, it really burst the bubble of enjoyment i'd been living in all day.

i'd listened to Kreator, Tool, Trivium, Mastodon, etc and all their recordings sounded great. the Soulfly album was just so poor. i turned it off and put the TV on.
I didn’t no you where a heavy metal fan bigfish I’ve just brought all of the U.D.O albums which are pretty good

rainsoothe

To my surprise, Opeth's latest album sounds pretty wrong. The bass is too heavy and muffled. It's weird because it's mixed by Steven Wilson, who's mixes sound great usually
Dunno what happened there.

Samd

QuestForThe13thNote said:
bigfish786 said:

I try not to concentrate on it too much given you’ll get some bad and then other good recordings. Also detracting from the music when there is often not much you can do, if all versions are similar. It’s more pleasing when a good recording does come along, as you can really appreciate it.

All our comparisons for any purchased item should be between good, very good and brilliant.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It's quite rare that I get a recording that's so bad and depresses me so much that I can't listen to it, but when it happens I usually email the artist or record label and say , " I love the music but the recording is shite and I know you can do so much better than this for your fans, please listen for yourself and see what I mean."

I then snap the Cd and put it in the bin so that I am not tempted to play it again . ( makes me feel better *sad* )

I never get a reply but I live in hope. *smile*

It's worse when the same artist has other very good recordings but messes up your favorite that sounded ok on the radio but a complete mess when played on someting half decent .

Electro said:
It's quite rare that I get a recording that's so bad and depresses me so much that I can't listen to it, but when it happens I usually email the artist or record label and say , " I love the music but the recording is shite and I know you can do so much better than this for your fans, please listen for yourself and see what I mean."

I then snap the Cd and put it in the bin so that I am not tempted to play it again . ( makes me feel better *sad* )

I never get a reply but I live in hope. *smile*

It's worse when the same artist has other very good recordings but messes up your favorite that sounded ok on the radio but a complete mess when played on someting half decent .

the album I mentioned isn’t exactly a favourite, although the artist is.!

they have released some very good albums, with a mix of metal, world music, Brazilian influences etc. There’s a few gems on each album, but this album, Archangel is just poorly mixed/mastered which is disappointing.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I found that with the last black sabbath album 13 it was such a big disappointment I hardly listen to it’s that bad it’s got far to much bass mixed in that album .

not like the old black sabbath albums they sound pretty good a specially the first album

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I found that with the last black sabbath album 13 it was such a big disappointment I hardly listen to it’s that bad it’s got far to much bass mixed in that album .

not like the old black sabbath albums they sound pretty good a specially the first album

But music today is not produce for hifi systems because hardly anyone has them or cares about sounmd quality, too much bass on your system maybe but on car system or cheap heaphones it maybe ok. Lost interest in BS after SBS, 45 years ago. I think analogue recordings are best on vinyl.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
It's quite rare that I get a recording that's so bad and depresses me so much that I can't listen to it, but when it happens I usually email the artist or record label and say ,       " I love the music but the recording is shite and I know you can do so much better than this for your fans, please listen for yourself and see what I mean."

I never get a reply but I live in hope.  *smile*

With the music I like I'd be snapping a lot of cds

I’ve got some really well produced modern albums, on both cd and record, but every now and then, you find a bad one, that has you completely stumped. The latest Incubus Album, (8) I got on vinyl and that has been poorly produced too.

Their earlier stuff. I have on both formats and are all really good recordings. And I’ve enjoyed them all the more since buying the Marantz Amp.

Many a time I've played a succession of poorly recorded material....then think I need to upgrade something in the system......then I play something that has had some thought put into it......ahhhhh it's not my system...it's those cr#%py cd's....grrrhhh.how many folks keep upgrading stuff until they realise it's not their stereo that's garbage but the stuff they put through it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

In defence of Rick Rubin's mix, yes it is a wee bit bass heavy, but not overly so, given the genre of music. It's easy to forget that many rock and metal LPs in the 60s and 70s were by comparison mixed bass-light. They are not a great reference. Build a system so it plays those albums with sufficient weight and authority, and anything modern without the curtailed bottom end is going to sound bass-heavy.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Many a time I've played a succession of poorly recorded material....then think I need to upgrade something in the system......then I play something that has had some thought put into it......ahhhhh it's not my system...it's those cr#%py cd's....grrrhhh.how many folks keep upgrading stuff until they realise it's not their stereo that's garbage but the stuff they put through it.

if someone has very decent hi Fi, they would have to be a bit simple to think they keep needing to upgrade under the circumstances you describe, as it’s so blatantly obvious with good hi Fi that the recording is often key.

OK point taken..Quest..I was over egging a bit...but I think you get my drift.....only you would pull me up on such a quibble...

But actually you could be quite wrong as some younger people are led to believe that by buying a good hi-fi system...all your tunes will sound awesome..my daughter actually was quite taken back when I said her music wouldn't sound too good on the superuniti(usual indie rock).she thought as most her generation do..the more you spend..the better you get..and that includes sound quality with music listening.....nothing about being a "simple person"but just as one would expect it to be...what's so wrong about that?

You my friend are turning into a bit of a hi-fi snob I'm afraid....I like you Quest but some of the retric you spout is utter pi%h.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have a few records that are poor sound quality. Most of my remastered CDs sound bloody aweful as well. But it has always been music first.

The artist/style comes before recording quality for me also.
I can't imagine listening to stuff I don't like but is well recorded.

MajorFubar said:
In defence of Rick Rubin's mix, yes it is a wee bit bass heavy, but not overly so, given the genre of music. It's easy to forget that many rock and metal LPs in the 60s and 70s were by comparison mixed bass-light. They are not a great reference. Build a system so it plays those albums with sufficient weight and authority, and anything modern without the curtailed bottom end is going to sound bass-heavy.
I was told that his mix for Death Magnetic was doctored ‘after the fact’, ending up heavily compressed. Despite producing these albums, producers don’t seem to necessarily have the last word on the finished mix - if the record company execs (or even the artist) want compression, that’s what they get.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts