PMC Twenty.23s

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They deserve to be at the top of your shortlist. Huge, open soundstage, lack of boxiness, mixed with the usual PMC lively sound, makes for an excellent speaker. I think these are now up with the ProAc D18's and KEF R700's on my favourite £2k floorstanders list. Three very different speakers, all worth checking out.

A

Anonymous

Any chance you could give a more detailed breakdown of the differences of the 3 models you mentioned David? Would each brand suit a particular music type more, or any brand better for an all-round music mix based on your opinion?

If coming from the PMC TB2i, what differences would one notice going to the PMC Twenty.23s? I remember you were not a huge fan of the GB1i's, so interested to hear your thoughts...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Mitch

I haven't yet had the chance to sit down and listen to all the models side by side, but I've heard a few in isolation. It's sort of what you'd probably expect really - the .22 and .24 have better depth and headroom in comparison to their smaller brothers thanks to their larger drivers and cabinet volumes, and will be more effortless in larger rooms. The .22 and .24 also benefit from improved efficiency being an extra 3dB more sensitive.

The sound of the whole range I think will suit almsot any type of music - they're not boxy, they're not boomy, not laid back, but not too forward either, just wide open. When I say 'wide open', I really mean it! How they've managed it in comparison to the competition is beyond me. The only thing I would probably say is that for those into rock, you'd be looking at the .22 and .24 models, ideally.

The i-series was a mixed bunch for me. I was never overly keen on the DB1i and GB1i, which I assumed was down to their smaller drivers (although the GB1i could sound great with careful matching), but hearing the .23 makes mincemeat of that statement. It can't be to do with the size, as the GB1i's use the same size driver! Although, the .23's have a little more cabinet volume to play with. While I wasn't a 'great' PMC fan, this range is enough to change that view. I'm loving this range, and so far it's looking every bit as strong as KEF's R series.

In comparison to the TB2i, I think the strong points of even the .21 are enough to outperform them. The TB2i's will still be preferred by those who like their low end, and are used to the more laid back sound (in comparison to the Twenty), and those who like a bit of warmth. In my words, I would say the Twenty models make the i-series sound 'nice'.

TB2i compared to the .22? I would say there is no comparison...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the link Theo, and quick & detailed response David... very much appreciated :)

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi all.

Just thought you might like to know we're getting a review pair of these later in the week - they're going to be featured in the April issue of the magazine...

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Andy, good to hear another review is on the way. If at all possible, it would be great if you could include some thoughts on how the twenty series compares with the i series. This makes sense practically because a) whahifi have previously reviewed various models of the i series & b) both series continue to exist (not to mention the fact series) and anyone contemplating getting one has to decide between them. It is also not easy to find a dealer who is happy to demo all three variants - understandably so.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Recently heard these on an extended demo. They look superb, and have a huge soundstage for such small speakers. Very clear and great bass extension. Beautiful top end and as is said above - no "boxiness" at all. If they're your budget range - make sure you give them a listen.

I am about to get my e credit card out asap. Enjoy !

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Heard the 21s and 22s yesterday. Listening to electronic stuff, complex drum programming challenging for any speaker (Anstam's Dispel Dances album from last year amongst other things). The 21s are very nicely balanced, not quite enough bass for me but will be fine for many particularly in smaller rooms. The bigger 22 actually didn't produce that much more bass, it is well controlled, the treble presentation is the same as the smaller speaker (you get a hell of a lot of detail in that range in electronic music like this), but I found they could get a bit shouty. Leema Tucana II was used, which of course drove them exceptionally well.

I didn't have time to switch back to the 21s to compare again, ideally I will get both of these for a home demo at some point. The room is 6m long and the very forward presentation of the 22 may work well.

Stevee_W

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Andy Madden said:
Hi all.

Just thought you might like to know we're getting a review pair of these later in the week - they're going to be featured in the April issue of the magazine...

Hi Andy

Have I missed something? I have not seen a review of the PMC 23's in the magazines (April & May) or online

Cheers

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts