PMC Twenty 23

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Today I said goodbye to my much loved PMC BB5SE's, my big Bryston monos and my Audio Research Ref5SE pre-amp. This is a day I have been dreading but one that could not be avoided with another child imminently due and space at a premium in the gazzip household. My chosen replacements are a Devialet 800 and PMC FACT 12's which represent a significant reduction in size. The FACT 12's are on order and may take some time so in the interim my dealer has kindly lent me a pair of PMC Twenty 23's which I am running with the Dev800.

If you are in the £2.5k market for loudspeakers then you simply must audition a pair of 23's. Their sound is big, bold and musical inspite of their diminutive size and to be quite honest I am sitting here with my jaw all but on the floor. Their soundstage is expansive with everything clearly defined and in its rightful place. They are pacey without being at all brittle but they can also plumb the depths of the frequency range with relative ease. The vocal range was one area I thought they would definitely fail to impress but this is really not at all the case.

These loudspeakers are extremely accomplished and if I had to sum them up in a word then that word would be "wow". They really are that good and like I say worth a look if your looking in that price range.

Gazzip said:
Today I said goodbye to my much loved PMC BB5SE's, my big Bryston monos and my Audio Research Ref5SE pre-amp. This is a day I have been dreading but one that could not be avoided with another child imminently due and space at a premium in the gazzip household. My chosen replacements are a Devialet 800 and PMC FACT 12's which represent a significant reduction in size. The FACT 12's are on order and may take some time so in the interim my dealer has kindly lent me a pair of PMC Twenty 23's which I am running with the Dev800.

If you are in the £2.5k market for loudspeakers then you simply must audition a pair of 23's. Their sound is big, bold and musical inspite of their diminutive size and to be quite honest I am sitting here with my jaw all but on the floor. Their soundstage is expansive with everything clearly defined and in its rightful place. They are pacey without being at all brittle but they can also plumb the depths of the frequency range with relative ease. The vocal range was one area I thought they would definitely fail to impress but this is really not at all the case.

These loudspeakers are extremely accomplished and if I had to sum them up in a word then that word would be "wow". They really are that good and like I say worth a look if your looking in that price range.

Does that mean you're dumping the FACT 12's then? :)

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:

Yep, love mine still immensly after 1.5 years ownership. Now I would *love* to have the same amplification you have ;-)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Al ears said:

Nope!

*biggrin*

In my arrogance/stupidity I completely bypassed the Twenty range and went straight for the Facts as the "obviously" better speaker. In all seriousness if I had my time over again I would definitely spend some time auditioning the Twenty series. If the 23's are this good then what do their bigger siblings have to offer?! I have heard it said that the 26's give the Fact 8 a run for their money but at half the price and having experienced what I have today with the 23's I have no problem accepting this.

Having extensively auditioned the Fact 12's I definitely haven't made a mistake. They are better than the twenty 23 of that there is no doubt, but it is a lot, lot closer than I ever thought it would be.

iceman16

Gazzip said:
Gazzip said:
Al ears said:

Nope!

*biggrin*

In my arrogance/stupidity I completely bypassed the Twenty range and went straight for the Facts as the "obviously" better speaker. In all seriousness if I had my time over again I would definitely spend some time auditioning the Twenty series. If the 23's are this good then what do their bigger siblings have to offer?! I have heard it said that the 26's give the Fact 8 a run for their money but at half the price and having experienced what I have today with the 23's I have no problem accepting this.

Having extensively auditioned the Fact 12's I definitely haven't made a mistake. They are better than the twenty 23 of that there is no doubt, but it is a lot, lot closer than I ever thought it would be.

I do like the 26 more than the Fact8.. I heard them both. YMMV

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The PMC 22.6.

I have been lucky enough to have hands on this and the smaller 22.5 in recent times. Based on the Twenty series but fully active with sophisticated DSP.

The improvement in transparency over any passive system (PMC or otherwise) is obvious to my ears but it is not going to impress many hi-fi enthusiasts who insist on warmth and musicality.

They simply give phenominal insight into the music, for me that is what speakers of this type are all about.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
The PMC 22.6.

I have been lucky enough to have hands on this and the smaller 22.5 in recent times. Based on the Twenty series but fully active with sophisticated DSP.

The improvement in transparency over any passive system (PMC or otherwise) is obvious to my ears but it is not going to impress many hi-fi enthusiasts who insist on warmth and musicality.

They simply give phenominal insight into the music, for me that is what speakers of this type are all about.

Horses for courses Dave. Some would take an Aerial Atom over a Ferrari simply because it offers a purer driving experience, whereas the Ferrari buyer is looking for something slightly different. Arguably the Ferrari driver is paying more for less in pure engineering terms but such is the world of enthusiast hobbying where reason and logic can often go out of the proverbial window.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
how much?

The 22.6 is a shade over £4k, the smaller 22.5 a little over £3k.

Ample power amplification is buit in, as is an electronic crossover and sophisticated eq, all achieved in dsp.

They have a dac onboard but not easily accessed by hi-fi type dac/pre-amps unless they have an AES3 balanced output, a Benchmark for example.

D

Deleted member 108165

davedotco said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
how much?

The 22.6 is a shade over £4k, the smaller 22.5 a little over £3k.

Ample power amplification is buit in, as is an electronic crossover and sophisticated eq, all achieved in dsp.

They have a dac onboard but not easily accessed by hi-fi type dac/pre-amps unless they have an AES3 balanced output, a Benchmark for example.

Mark, I've had the twotwo series in my sights for about eight months now. Current bank balance is the only thing that is holding me back from trying to arrange a demo, (I don't want to waste dealers time). Dave knows his onions when it comes to actives and he's always given these little PMC's the highest praise, plus they get excellent reviews on the net. Finances permitting my anticipated demo will be sometime in the next year or so, so if your interest has been piqued and you get the opportunity to demo before me please report back *smile*.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
someone such as Gazzip sing the PMC Twenty 23's praises. For my listening environment they're perfect and I know that with improved amplification and sources a lot more is till to come from them, Mighty little floor standers, I love mine!

One day I'd love to get my mitts on some Fact 12's, enjoy yours whem they arrive Gazzip!

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:

Against the proacs 148 can they survive ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts