PMC OR ATC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well let's face it, they're not designed to bring the house down, that's what bigger speakers are for.

All speakers are compromises. None are perfect. Some compromise in some areas where others don't, and vice versa. Some cover their compromises well, some not so well in certain areas. For the consumer, it's a case of finding the speaker that compromises in areas you can live with. My favourite speakers at the moment are KEF 205/2's. They're not perfect, but they do a hell of a lot right as far as I'm concerned. Others will disagree, but that's life, and that's what forums are about.

All speaker manufacturers have a point or a particular range where their speakers really start to kick ***. For some it might be a couple of thousand. For others it might be £7/8k. For those that start at £8k, they can't just produce loudspeakers that start at £8k, that won't keep them in business. They need entry level, bread and butter stuff. For some brands this is £100/200, for others this might be £1k. These manufacturers who can do no wrong at £10k then have to produce something at £1k which embody the spirit of said manufacturer and be good enough to fly the flag for the company. This can be a stuggle for them, and compromises have to be made. It's just down to how 'budget' the manufacturer wants to go - how much would you compromise on your £20/30k flagship model?

Macspur:
Personally, I'm not one for playing my music at very high levels... it's quality I'm looking for with detail and depth.

Unfortunately, not in a position to lug my equipment to the ATC dealer due to being visually impaired, so will probably arrange for home demo for PMC and ProAc, but to scratch the itch I'll take a trip to Tonbridge Wells to listen to the ATC too!

Hi Macspur

Your amp has good quality of power so you should still enjoy the performance of your components through the SCM11's at low /moderate levels.

As i also said earlier with the size of your room and with the fairly full sounding character of your amp speakers such as the SCM11's with their closed box design and more importantly flat and honest presentation will help make room positioning far easier without the bass getting itself into a twist.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I realise that speaker manufacturers have their larger more expensive speakers, but also need to have their entry level models to appeal to a larger audience.

PMC used to use Dynaudio drive units in their smaller models like the LB1 and AB1. These were great speakers that helped PMC to get where they are today.
But with the introduction of their new range over the last few years, i feel they haven't lived up to their name.

ATC on the other hand use the same bomb proof build quality throughout their entire range of speakers.
And are known for sharing the same sonic character throughout the range, just on a larger scale as you move up to bigger speakers. Other manufacturers claim this also, but none of them pull it off like ATC.

A

Anonymous

Maybe the OP should be considering the AVI ADM9.1 + subwoofer?

Oops what have I said!
emotion-14.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts