PMC OB1i or ATC SCM 40

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
If you like Harbeth and Shahihian then I would have thought the PMC's are definitely the wrong speaker for you. They are chalk and cheese. Be warned about the Obelisk 2's: They really are position sensitive and do not like being pushed back against walls and in to corners.

The Obelisk 2's were not that massively different to the PMC's. Just clearer at the top with good treble and fuller in the bass, overall being more cohesive and dare I say more musical? Being on castors meant they could be wheeled out to a good position for listening and easily pushed back again afterwards.

gazzip said:
I would suggest that you also try ATC and EB Acoustics based upon your tendency towards the tighter and leaner sound offered by Harbeth.

It's not a leaner sound that I prefer. The Harbeth's were very clear and open, if a teeny bit too forward at times for my liking.

gazzip said:
I still think the sound you seem to be looking for is quite Kef so I would urge you to try them as well. If your budget is in the £1500 reigon then the R500's might fit the bill. That said they are also rear ported so might compromise your room in terms of positioning.

My original budget allowed for speakers in the £1500 - £2300 bracket, but I've moved up a peg or too price wise since then. I'm considering lowering my sights though in terms of budget, so the R500's would fit the bill. Unfortunately, none of the R series finishes are going to be domestically acceptable. The wood finishes are not to our taste and would clash with our furniture anyway. Also SWMBO doesn't like the white and isn;'t happy about big black boxes in the lounge. I had hoped she'd go for the white finish and was surprised when she said Yuk! Oh for a big basement den or listening room where those sort of compromises wouldn't come into play!

ATC may be my prefered choice, if I can get to hear them. I had been considering the series 2 curved SCM40's and the new active versions appeal. On the other hand I might have to have stand mounted speakers because of placement issues. I feel like I'm back at square one, but now lumbered with £7000 worth of equipment that I may have to sell.

SteveR750

Thanks for your input Go, it's greatly appreciated. I wonder if the problem with your sound is your amp. I found the C390DD to be somewhat dull and lifeless with all of my recordings, isn't the M2 the same Class D amp configuration?

Mind you, I found the Twenty 24 to be a bit overblown upper bass that was smearing into the mid, especially on close mic'd vocals. The ATC route might work for you, being infinite baffle then the room interaction of the bottom end will be different. I've also got a bass node problem right where my listeing chair is, and not much scope to move it. I'm hoping the ATC offer something all round that compensates or mitigates it.

Good luck with your search and keep sharing your experiences, they are invaluable for everyone who has the itch...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I found the Twenty 24 to be a bit overblown upper bass that was smearing into the mid, especially on close mic'd vocals.

Hmmmmm..... I wonder whether this is PMC voicing and/or a transmission line thing? This is a phenomena that I have experienced with both the MB2SE's and the BB5SE's. I cannot really remember the PB1i's well enough to comment.

Has anybody else reading this thread experienced such an issue with PMC's?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
SteveR750 said:
I found the Twenty 24 to be a bit overblown upper bass that was smearing into the mid, especially on close mic'd vocals.

Hmmmmm..... I wonder whether this is PMC voicing and/or a transmission line thing? This is a phenomena that I have experienced with both the MB2SE's and the BB5SE's. I cannot really remember the PB1i's well enough to comment.

Has anybody else reading this thread experienced such an issue with PMC's?

This is not something I have never noticed, in fact I would say that most PMC speakers have a slightly dry upper bass that can leave vocals and the midrange in general a little exposed and stark on first listen especially if you are used to conventionally loaded speakers .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts