PMC Ob1 Vs Ob1i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I have just had my listening room redecorated and I would really like a pair of Ob1i's.
However I cannot afford to buy them new as the price just seems to be going up, so I have been looking on the second hand market.
Unfortunately with these speakers not being very old it is hard to find them, particularly in my desired finish. If I was lucky enough to find some I would still expect to spend upwards of £3000 which is still a stretch and would take me many months to have that sort of money.
On the other hand there are a few of the older Ob1's around for sale for around £1300 to £1600. Now I am aware that the new model is definitely an improvement on the old one but is it really worth double the price or would I be better off not leaving myself completely bankrupt???

Just to let you know I use a Primare I30 and CD31 with all Russ Andrews/Kimber accessories currently with a pair of RS8's.

A

Anonymous

You could make some fantastic ones for much less - from Wilmslow audio.

I had a look inside some of the PMC speakers at a show, I really couldn't fathom where the money went.

A

Anonymous

Nice idea for a project Globs, however it is not for me. Anyone any further thoughts?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I too saw the inside of PMCs and wondered the same thing!

Either will be quite a change from your RS8s I would have thought - have you listened to either of them? If not, any particular reason why you want these speakers? I'm afraid I've not compared, but I think it's highly unlikely it's worth paying double for the 'i', the OB1s were rated highly and should go well with Primare.

A

Anonymous

stretchabusa said:
Nice idea for a project Globs, however it is not for me. Anyone any further thoughts?

I'd certainly audition speakers from Usher - and ideally with the R1.5 power amp, and swap onto that amp some Tannoys, Spendor etc as available in the shop. Usher are very dynamic _and_ smooth, quite a feat, and Tannoys have always been excellent value.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw

I have talked to two different local dealers and an independent hi-fi accessories company and they have all recommended the Ob1i's and said to try ProAcs.
I decided not to go for anything rear ported due to awkward room acoustics.
I have had a dem with both the ProAcs and PMC’s and I prefer the PMC’s. However I heard the i’s, so I wanted to know if they were alot better or just a bit better than the older model and whether it is worth that extra money (which I haven’t really got spare).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts