PMC GB1i or FB1i in small living room

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I am finally ready to purchase my speakers, to go with my AV9 P7 setup. Sources are apple TV for lossless music and Pioneer LX51 for blu ray/DVD.

My living room is 9.5 foot by 11 foot.

I have fallen in love with the synergy between PMC speakers and the Arcam, having had many demos of various brands, the only other I would consider is Kef Reference but cannot hope to afford a full set of those speakers.

Ideally I was hoping to get the FB1i, but I keep coming back to the size of my room, and whether as front speakers the GB1i would be more appropriate. The rears will be wall mounted DB1i most likely.

I have only been able to demo the speakers in considerably larger rooms than mine.

What would you guys advise, or which would you go for?

A

Anonymous

That's not a big room and quite a lot of speakers! I'd be tempted to say that the FB1s would be too big. Home demo would be the best solution if possible.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if i was going for pmc, i think i would stick with the db1i's. thats a very small room, and they will need some space around them to sound anywhere near their best. as igg says, home dem pretty much essential!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
With the P7 I would be looking at the FB1's at least. If your budget will allow then the newly released FACT8 would be the ideal option with your electronics/room size

A

Anonymous

I'm running a pair of GB1s in a room with an approx 9ft width / listening distance. The sitting room area is approx 11 ft long but runs into a further 10 ft or so of open plan kitchen. It works fine. Can't say how a pair of FB1s would fit in but keen to know.

gregvet:

I am finally ready to purchase my speakers, to go with my AV9 P7 setup. Sources are apple TV for lossless music and Pioneer LX51 for blu ray/DVD.

My living room is 9.5 foot by 11 foot.

I have fallen in love with the synergy between PMC speakers and the Arcam, having had many demos of various brands, the only other I would consider is Kef Reference but cannot hope to afford a full set of those speakers.

Ideally I was hoping to get the FB1i, but I keep coming back to the size of my room, and whether as front speakers the GB1i would be more appropriate. The rears will be wall mounted DB1i most likely.

I have only been able to demo the speakers in considerably larger rooms than mine.

What would you guys advise, or which would you go for?

Like the others say, the floorstanders will be too big and the sound will swamp the whole room. Clearly, you're taken by PMC and I would suggest audition both DB1's and with thextra bass, TB2's.

It's a dilemma I have at the moment. My living room only measures 18' x 13' and that is pushing the limits of my RS6's, so unless you worship bass, the sensible solution would be the ones I've mentioned.

Good luck, PP.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Neither the FB1's or the GB1's will swamp your room. With the amplification you should have no issues and the gains from the larger speaker are huge. Low volume listening in particular will be improved.

TheHomeCinemaCentre:

Neither the FB1's or the GB1's will swamp your room. With the amplification you should have no issues and the gains from the larger speaker are huge. Low volume listening in particular will be improved.

I dunno - i think the OP is really pushing what's acceptable is a relatively small room. The OP seems to be keen on PMC otherwise I would look at other brands, such as Spendor A5, Leema Xones or even Wilson Benesch Square Two.

A

Anonymous

On it's own it (GB1s) might not swamp the room ...but as understand it the plan was to add them to a surround sound system with rear DB1s. That might be a bit too much for a room that size.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts