PMC Fact 8 or Bowers v Wilkins 805 Diamond?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone compared these two speakers? Realise it's floorstanders v standmount but, nevertheless, I'd be interested to hear any views.

Currently using 805S, fed by Chord QBD76 and Leema Tucana.

Thanks for the input

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
It's a no brainer IMO. The Fact 8 crushes the 805D. I don't even think the 805D wins if you just compare 60hz up. In other words, if you somehow limited the Fact 8s low frequency output to 60hz so it matched more closely the performance of the 805D, I'd still prefer th Fact 8 to the 805D. BUT, when you add in the "fact" that the Fact 8 provides WAY more bass, it's no contest, the Fact 8 is a much better choice. Not saying the 805Ds are not good, they are, but the Fact 8s are a league better in every way. And I'm holding back how I really feel... : )

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Bw and pmc they sound vert differently from each other. If you have been using bw, I would strongly recommend you demo the fact8 at least a couple of times before you make your purchase.

I know these are completely different sets of speakers but I moved from cm5 to 21s and did so without any demo. It took me a little while to get used to the pmc sound, as much as I am enjoying the 21s I still miss the Bw sound.
My next upgrade would be exactly what you are considering either f8 or 805d. For now I am saving the pennies.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
baldy38 said:
Thanks very much - and what if I was to ask the same question about the 804D..?

The 804D is an unnecessary speaker in the B&W line. The 805D trumps the 804 in imaging and resolution. And the extra bass the 804 provides over the 805 is minimal in my experience. The 803D does have good bass, but not the 804 which lacks weight and impact. The 803D is an excellent speaker but it's way bigger than the fact line and I still like the fact 8 more although I could see others preferring the 803D.

Agree with the previous poster that you should demo them with either your electronics or the best the shop has.

What I can tell you is that I've personally owned dozens of high end speakers and I never liked any of them more then the fact line. But that's obviously just how they hit me, your feelings may differ.

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
That's quite a system you've got there. Did you go from the Fact 8s to the Fact 12s? How do you find the difference?

Personally, I'm considering edging towards a Chord Choral-based system.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
baldy38 said:
That's quite a system you've got there. Did you go from the Fact 8s to the Fact 12s? How do you find the difference?

Personally, I'm considering edging towards a Chord Choral-based system.

Thanks. Yes, had fact 8s before the fact 12s. Fact 8s are leaner sounding, but to be honest I could have been happy with the fact 8s for a very long time. I only upgraded because of the great deal I was offered. In a small or mid sized room Id prefer the 8 to the 12. Love the fact 8s. PMC should be paying me.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
FWIW my choice would be the PMCs, though for different reasons than jaxwired.

I don't particularly like the B&W 8** Diamond tweeters. Something about them just grates with me. The PMC tweeters, on the other hand, I find very agreeable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts