PMC 25 24 Home Demo

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Fascinating review here: https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/twenty5-24%20review%20HiFi%20Critic%20Sept%2017.pdf

It seems they don't measure flat, but are forgiving and sound very engaging when paired well....and have decent headroom, when paired with expensive kit.

I know from experience that Kef Refs can be fussy...and even though the New Series are a bit easier to match than what I've got....it doesn't take much to push them into sounding a bit hifi and a little analytical. 
Ahh, I'm familiar with the review as it formed part of my decision making and shortlist.
Have you tried the new PMC range with your amp cno? Give it a go you may be surprised - i recall auditioning a pair of 20.23 s and was unimpressed. They lacked richness and bass - opposite to the new range.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
CnoEvil said:
Fascinating review here: https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/twenty5-24%20review%20HiFi%20Critic%20Sept%2017.pdf

It seems they don't measure flat, but are forgiving and sound very engaging when paired well....and have decent headroom, when paired with expensive kit.

I know from experience that Kef Refs can be fussy...and even though the New Series are a bit easier to match than what I've got....it doesn't take much to push them into sounding a bit hifi and a little analytical.
Ahh, I'm familiar with the review as it formed part of my decision making and shortlist. Have you tried the new PMC range with your amp cno? Give it a go you may be surprised - i recall auditioning a pair of 20.23 s and was unimpressed. They lacked richness and bass - opposite to the new range.

They're not easy to dem here, otherwise I would.

CnoEvil said:
Fascinating review here: https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/twenty5-24%20review%20HiFi%20Critic%20Sept%2017.pdf

Almost as good as the review I linked to in post #25!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:

Almost as good as the review I linked to in post #25!

*blush*

That was a lifetime ago....do you really expect me to remember that far back, especially at my age. *biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
To piss on anyone's parade
I really think the RRP for the PMC 24 is far to costly.

To me it's a standmount speaker pretending to be a floor stander.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review link Cno.

If the vertical scale on the frequency response graph represents what I think it represents, they are shockingly coloured speakers for their £4.4k price tag.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:
If the vertical scale on the frequency response graph represents what I think it represents, they are shockingly coloured speakers for their £4.4k price tag.

TBF NP got there first.

I had the same worry as you, but I haven't heard them....and am all for people getting what they prefer.

Having heard the Ref 1s sound simply surperb, as well as bit "meh", my advice to Kubs would have been not to reject them so quickly. But given his taste, his room and his needs, I respect his decision and wish him well with his choice.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
lindsayt said:

TBF NP got there first.

I had the same worry as you, but I haven't heard them....and am all for people getting what they prefer.

Having heard the Ref 1s sound simply surperb, as well as bit "meh", my advice to Kubs would have been not to reject them so quickly. But given his taste, his room and his needs, I respect his decision and wish him well with his choice.

These were my findings with the Ref 1 too. When I first heard them they sounded dry and Hi-Fi, uninvolving and well, yes, ‘Meh’. Then I heard them again in a different venue with a Devialet and they were superb. Moving day tomorrow, then the quest for new speakers begins in earnest.....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
These were my findings with the Ref 1 too. When I first heard them they sounded dry and Hi-Fi, uninvolving and well, yes, ‘Meh’. Then I heard them again in a different venue with a Devialet and they were superb. Moving day tomorrow, then the quest for new speakers begins in earnest.....

There are some speakers that are more "neurotic" than others, to get sounding "right". The LS50s are a bit like that - but the Refs take it up to another level. If one doesn't want to torture oneself getting this right....which may involve expensive system changes, or room treatment, or (even worse) upsetting the leader of the opposition, then they should probably be avoided. imo

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

There are some speakers that are more "neurotic" than others, to get sounding "right". The LS50s are a bit like that - but the Refs take it up to another level. If one doesn't want to torture oneself getting this right....which may involve expensive system changes, or room treatment, or (even worse) upsetting the leader of the opposition, then they should probably be avoided. imo

I’ll know a lot more about how the new lounge sounds when I set my system up over the weekend. I’ll try the Focals first then the Sonus Fabers. That should then point me in the right direction.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

I’ll know a lot more about how the new lounge sounds when I set my system up over the weekend. I’ll try the Focals first then the Sonus Fabers. That should then point me in the right direction.

If the Focals and the SF had a Love Child, it would probably sound like the New Refs. *crazy*

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
lindsayt said:

TBF NP got there first.

Having heard the Ref 1s sound simply surperb, as well as bit "meh", my advice to Kubs would have been not to reject them so quickly. But given his taste, his room and his needs, I respect his decision and wish him well with his choice.

I too have heard the KEF ref 1 (3 & 5) sound amazing, unfortunately not in my room and set up, which is what I was hoping for. In contrast, the PMCs sound amazing (IMO of course) which is what it's all about.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
that's totally what it's all about. I think you did the right thing tried a few bought the one you preferred.

even if it was the wrong one.... only kidding :) I like the PMC 25's always sounded really good at shows. Sound very good off the AVM 30 kit

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
that's totally what it's all about. I think you did the right thing tried a few bought the one you preferred.

even if it was the wrong one.... only kidding :) I like the PMC 25's always sounded really good at shows. Sound very good off the AVM 30 kit

:)
You're right, if I was purely buying based on reviews, graphs and not having listened to the speaker in my room, then I have indeed purchased the wrong pair .... But we all know it doesn't work like that :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

If the Focals and the SF had a Love Child, it would probably sound like the New Refs. *crazy*

:D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts