PMC 25 24 Home Demo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:
CnoEvil said:
I would love to hear from a speaker designer, who can speak objectively and preferably doesn't have a vested interest in either promoting their design, or rubbishing that of somone else.
Me too, but I don't think such a person exists. As there will always be the accusation that any designer will be biased towards the type of speakers that they have designed.

There is actually quite a good objective test. Feed your system single cycle test tones at various bass frequencies. Put a microphone in front of the speakers and feed this into an oscilloscope device that has the ability to record onto paper or a digital file. Compare the resulting signal from the speakers against the single cycle test tone.

The technology was around in the 1960's to do this and was used by at least 1 manufacturer.

Testing done at that time showed that no speaker was brilliant at reproducing these test tones, but that some were a lot worse than others. With ported speakers being particularly poor in this respect.

Funny how arch objectivists like Alan Shaw have never shown (AFAIK) the results of single cycle tests for their speakers?

Is that because they either don't know about these tests, in which case one could question their competence? Or is it because these tests would not show their speakers in the best marketing light?

I don't disagree.

The only brief time I heard PMCs some time ago, I thought the bass sounded a bit disconnected, so was intreagued to read "an" assessment of the design.

Too many people, whose judgement I rate, speak favorably....so either I was wrong, or they have improved over the years.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
No I demo them in shop and the Ref3 which I just ordered.

Good Man.

I bet you will be gobsmacked....and it will take a little while to fully appreciate their talents. IMO. They have better resoloution than Focal, while sounding more natural. A neat trick to pull off. They also have amazing scale, depth and punch. The 35i has enough power to drive them,, but you will notice they require more twisting of the Volume knob than your Focals.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
So I've made a decision and ordered a new pair of speakers.

1030 - dropped off demo pair of PMC 20 24 and exchanged them for KEF ref 1

1130 got home, set up the KEFs. Very well made, look and feel expensive ... I had the dedicated stands which are solid. I recognised the sound straight away as soon as I hit play but more of it (for those used to KEFs will know what I mean) - rich and more forward than the PMCs.

The bass however, was boomy and I quickly concluded they didn't suit my room size or shape - plus I missed the open airy 'relaxed' sound of the PMCs.

I took the KEFs back to the store and swapped them for a new pair of PMC 20 24 in walnut ... They are being run in as I write this.

It's nice to evolve and have a change.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, so much for my prediction.

I'm glad you tired....and found something that suits your Room/System and Taste.

Enjoy your new toys.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

I'm glad you tired....and found something that suits your Room/System and Taste.

Enjoy your new toys.

Thanks. The KEFs were great - looks wise they suited my room .... Sound wise, I need a larger space ... Perhaps when I next move I'll keep that in mind :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
CnoEvil said:

Enjoy your new toys.

Thanks. The KEFs were great - looks wise they suited my room .... Sound wise, I need a larger space ... Perhaps when I next move I'll keep that in mind :)

What size was the room? They do have huge scale for a Standmount. I also think they work well with Linn DS as a Source.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
Kubs said:
CnoEvil said:

Enjoy your new toys.

They do have huge scale for a Standmount.

I agree. When I listen to them they're like medium size floorstanders and sound "faster" and agile than the Ref3 which the dealer saw me grinning.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Yes - they certainly do not sound like a standmount .... Their box volume is that of a floorstand .... And they look stunning.

Hope you got a good deal on your KEF ref 3s .... Unilet have a demo pair for less than £5k....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
It's 16' x 14' with a bay window. The bay window is where I am seated on a 3 seater.

1930s detached house in London (if that helps).

That's a reasonable sized room. It's a pitty they don't work....maybe you are sitting in area where Bass "gathers" - which it seems to do in my Bay Window.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
That's my compromise I'm afraid (got to keep Mrs Kubs happy and on side). Plus the doorway is annoyingly in the middle section of the wall leading to the hallway rather than in a corner to the left or right. Anyway doesn't matter now, I'm starting my new adventure in hi fi.

Streamer and storage solution next .....

Congrats on the PMCs Kubs! Did you actually buy the twenty 24 or the newer twentyfive 24?

Either way they are a musical and elegant design which are sure to please.

PS. Is there a bargain pair of LS50s appearing for sale anytime soon?

D

Deleted member 160668

Congrats.

Ps - you gonna give the cleaner a hifive now for accidentally knocking the original speakers over. I remember the post from a while back which I presume landed you in trial mode...

Every cloud has a silver lining. Lol.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks nopiano - I went for the 25 24 .... I'm really pleased.

Yes - I'll be selling the ls50s for an absolute bargain. They are in full working order and sound great, except for the finger nail size dent in the side when they were knocked over.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
amormusic said:
Congrats. 

Ps - you gonna give the cleaner a hifive now for accidentally knocking the original speakers over. I remember the post from a while back which I presume landed you in trial mode... 

Every cloud has a silver lining. Lol. 

Indeed - that was the starting point :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations !

The longer you own a pair of PMC's the more you appreciate their unique capabilities, they let the music flow and sound so real .

I am sure they will give you years of pleasure. *good*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Fascinating review here: https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/twenty5-24%20review%20HiFi%20Critic%20Sept%2017.pdf

It seems they don't measure flat, but are forgiving and sound very engaging when paired well....and have decent headroom, when paired with expensive kit.

I know from experience that Kef Refs can be fussy...and even though the New Series are a bit easier to match than what I've got....it doesn't take much to push them into sounding a bit hifi and a little analytical.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts