PMC 25 24 Home Demo

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello All,
As the subject says - I have a pair of PMC 25 24 on home demo. I like what I hear so far .... Just getting used to the bass - very powerful (compared to the ls50s) tuneful and not boomy .... I'm wondering whether the 23s might suit my room. However the reason I went for the 24 is that I wanted to hear and feel a kick drum (as an example) as it should.

The imaging on the 50s is better but the PMCs have that sparkle and clarity, without being harsh, which is appealing.

My dealer is being very accommodating as next on my list is a pair of KEF ref 1 which are an ex demo pair being dropped off on Monday .....

Hmmm decisions .... ?

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I bet you'll prefer the Kefs....but I'm (very) biased. *angel*

It will be interesting ... I fancy something with more presence cno ... The ls50s are great but a 5ish inch driver in a small box has limitations.
The PMCs are also discounted hence them being on the audition list ... I do like a hi fi bargain.

The wife doesn't like the looks but it not a deal breaker ... She is very accommodating to my hi fi needs.

While at the hi fi shop they had a pair of blade 2 playing in the background .... The bass! They weren't being played loud .. just background sound but the quality of it had so much presence ... So effortless :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
My bet is with floorstanders *biggrin*

That's because you haven't heard the Ref 1s...which have the same Frequency Response as my Floorstanders [45Hz- 35kHz (±3dB) and 30 Hz in room response].

I also feel PMC massage their Frequency Response.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
As always your room will dictate the future of your upgrade, bass is very nice and needed to have a full scale representation, but if in conflict in the room will hide other frequencies and detail in the sound stage.

Play with them, ie, find the right positioning, some times is hard with new gear.

Most important, have fun! *drinks*

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
My bet is with floorstanders *biggrin*

That's because you haven't heard the Ref 1s...which have the same Frequency Response as my Floorstanders [45Hz- 35kHz (±3dB) and 30 Hz in room response].

I also feel PMC massage their Frequency Response.

Could be, it was more of an overall comment. Not really aimed at Kefs or PMCs in question.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
my advice is go with the more bass speaker then apply management to it.

You can't add bass that's not there but you can manage what is

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
As always your room will dictate the future of your upgrade, bass is very nice and needed to have a full scale representation, but if in conflict in the room will hide other frequencies and detail in the sound stage. 

Play with them, ie, find the right positioning, some times is hard with new gear. 

Most important, have fun! *drinks*

I hear ya! Sound advice.
I started with them firing straight down the room, which looked odd from my listening position and have now settled on a slight toe in .... I have some accoustic panels which I am experimenting with ... I think they make a difference ...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
what’s the specs compared with the LS50...?

PMC Twenty5 24s floorstanders costing £5,000

KEF LS50s standmounts costing £800.

Not exactly an even fight. A bit like Anthony Joshua v Amir Khan really.

You are knocking at the right door, believe me, just upgraded my Dyns that have costted 850€ 9 years ago, for some 4490€ ones... But got them 35% less as they were demo units.

Kubs said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I hear ya! Sound advice. I started with them firing straight down the room, which looked odd from my listening position and have now settled on a slight toe in .... I have some accoustic panels which I am experimenting with ... I think they make a difference ...
Yes, I’d be starting with them firing down the room, as the top end is a bit exposed. But not too close to side or front walls because you don’t want any undue emphasis for the bottom end. Toed in a shade, but with the inside cabinet edges being clearly visible should be good. They should be delightfully airy, but as Cno notes, it isn’t truly accurate but can be very pleasing.

The Ref 1s sound like floor standers to me, with a huge sound stage, and very powerful low end. More accurate than the PMCs, but maybe not to everyone’s taste. One dealer is selling the twenty 26, the older model, for four grand. I take it you’ve not had a chance to try any ATCs?

Take your time with the listening, and good luck!

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
nopiano said:
Kubs said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I hear ya! Sound advice. I started with them firing straight down the room, which looked odd from my listening position and have now settled on a slight toe in .... I have some accoustic panels which I am experimenting with ... I think they make a difference ...
Yes, I’d be starting with them firing down the room, as the top end is a bit exposed.  But not too close to side or front walls because you don’t want any undue emphasis for the bottom end.  Toed in a shade, but with the inside cabinet edges being clearly visible should be good.  They should be delightfully airy, but as Cno notes, it isn’t truly accurate but can be very pleasing. 

The Ref 1s sound like floor standers to me, with a huge sound stage, and very powerful low end. More accurate than the PMCs, but maybe not to everyone’s taste.     One dealer is selling the twenty 26, the older model, for four grand.   I take it you’ve not had a chance to try any ATCs?

Thanks nopiano - I quite like the airy tuning of the PMCs ... But will reserve judgement when I hear the KEF ref 1s.

The dealer doesn't stock ATC ... Nor have I found a good deal on a pair in satin White. I have heard them a while back ... the 40s, but they didn't grab my attention ... to be fair I didn't give them much time as I was listening in passing ....

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Kubs said:
nopiano said:
Kubs said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Yes, I’d be starting with them firing down the room, as the top end is a bit exposed. But not too close to side or front walls because you don’t want any undue emphasis for the bottom end. Toed in a shade, but with the inside cabinet edges being clearly visible should be good. They should be delightfully airy, but as Cno notes, it isn’t truly accurate but can be very pleasing.

The Ref 1s sound like floor standers to me, with a huge sound stage, and very powerful low end. More accurate than the PMCs, but maybe not to everyone’s taste. One dealer is selling the twenty 26, the older model, for four grand. I take it you’ve not had a chance to try any ATCs?

Thanks nopiano - I quite like the airy tuning of the PMCs ... But will reserve judgement when I hear the KEF ref 1s.

The dealer doesn't stock ATC ... Nor have I found a good deal on a pair in satin White. I have heard them a while back ... the 40s, but they didn't grab my attention ... to be fair I didn't give them much time as I was listening in passing ....

Actually it's not tuning at all *smile* , PMC speakers using the ATL ( Advanced Transmission Line ) bass system are one of the very few speakers that do not only reproduce the music accurately, they also reproduce and allow you to hear the space and acoustic the music was created in whether it's natural or created by the recording engineer.

This allows the music to sound live and natural and 'airy' , deep undistorted bass that is in phase with the rest of the output is the only way of achieving it, this is why once you get used to real natural bass and space from an ATL is is very hard to go back to a conventional speaker .

https://pmc-speakers.com/technology/atl

Edit .

If you are in doubt about the frequency response claimed by PMC, run a good quality frequency sweep though the speakers and you will hear that the figures are absloutely spot on. *smile*

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Electro said:
Kubs said:
nopiano said:
Kubs said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Yes, I’d be starting with them firing down the room, as the top end is a bit exposed.  But not too close to side or front walls because you don’t want any undue emphasis for the bottom end.  Toed in a shade, but with the inside cabinet edges being clearly visible should be good.  They should be delightfully airy, but as Cno notes, it isn’t truly accurate but can be very pleasing. 

The Ref 1s sound like floor standers to me, with a huge sound stage, and very powerful low end. More accurate than the PMCs, but maybe not to everyone’s taste.     One dealer is selling the twenty 26, the older model, for four grand.   I take it you’ve not had a chance to try any ATCs?

Actually it's not tuning at all *smile* , PMC speakers using the ATL ( Advanced Transmission Line ) bass system are one of the very few speakers that do not only reproduce the music accurately,  they also reproduce and allow you to hear the space and acoustic the music was created in whether it's natural or created by the recording engineer.

This allows the music to sound live and natural and 'airy' ,  deep undistorted bass that is in phase with the rest of the output is the only way of achieving it, this is why once you get used to real natural bass and space from an ATL is is very hard to go back to a conventional speaker .

https://pmc-speakers.com/technology/atl

Edit .

If you are in doubt about the frequency response claimed by PMC,  run a good quality frequency sweep though the speakers and you will hear that the figures are absloutely spot on. *smile*

Thanks for the clarification Electro ... My poor choice of words! Whatever PMC are doing, through ATL, 'tuning' I likey :)

I'm afraid you've lost me with the frequency response sweep ... Too techy for my interests - thanks anyway though.

Have you experimented with cables using your PMC?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Kubs said:
Thanks for the clarification Electro ... My poor choice of words! Whatever PMC are doing, through ATL, 'tuning' I likey :)

I'm afraid you've lost me with the frequency response sweep ... Too techy for my interests - thanks anyway though.

Have you experimented with cables using your PMC?

In the past I did mess about trying and buying different cables and spent quite a lot of money chasing my tail to no real advantage,it just ended in frustration and confusion so I sold all the valuable cables and went Van Damme.

For the last few years I have been using Van Damme 4mm hifi speaker cable and Van Damme starquad interconnects plus a few other leads from Maplin.

I have now got complete peace of mind as far as cables are concerned and can concentrate on the things that realy make a difference like room acoustics and equipment quality.

https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme-cable/speaker/HiFi-Speaker-Cable-Oxygen-Free-Copper/

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
now you have got better room acoustics you will likely appreciate the benefits of better cables more electro as their benefits won't be masked dude

FWIW, Kubs, I think you were spot on about the tuning. Pace, electro, the PMCs in this range are not and were never ‘flat’. They boost the top end to add ‘openness’ which is a legitimate choice, not to be confused with accuracy to the source, however. It’s hard to find relevant reviews to link, but here’s a frequency response test with comments about the elevated treble and prominent bass. Electro will appreciate it even if you don’t!!

https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/twenty5-24%20review%20HiFi%20Critic%20Sept%2017.pdf

Where I can agree with electro is over the cables. I’d stick with the van damme 4mm OFC, as that’s what I currently use!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts