PM6004 and the CD6004 + what floorstander?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Imo, all the speakers suggested here are worth auditioning.

But my thoughts on some of them:

Monitor Audio (neutral sounding to me) works great with Marantz (slightly warm) and NAD (warmer) electronics,

Kef Q500 (bright, overpowered bass) were not so great on Marantz but listenable on Nad (when you turn down the bass), but they need a pretty stable amp that can drive speakers with low impedances since they dip to 3ohms. The Q300 is easier to drive (dips to 4ohm) and has a more neutral sounding bass, but is still bright.

Also, don't focus too much on the rated power of the amps. When I was auditioning the RX8 with the Marantz PM15S2 and NAD C375Bee, the NAD felt alot less powerful even though on paper it had more power.

Have fun finding what works/sounds best for you :)

mm_jld

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
kevinJ said:
Imo, all the speakers suggested here are worth auditioning.

But my thoughts on some of them:

Monitor Audio (neutral sounding to me) works great with Marantz (slightly warm) and NAD (warmer) electronics,

Kef Q500 (bright, overpowered bass) were not so great on Marantz but listenable on Nad (when you turn down the bass), but they need a pretty stable amp that can drive speakers with low impedances since they dip to 3ohms. The Q300 is easier to drive (dips to 4ohm) and has a more neutral sounding bass, but is still bright.

Also, don't focus too much on the rated power of the amps. When I was auditioning the RX8 with the Marantz PM15S2 and NAD C375Bee, the NAD felt alot less powerful even though on paper it had more power.

Have fun finding what works/sounds best for you :)

Thanks for your thoughts!!

mm_jld

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
hi guys, how about Monitor Audio M6 with PM6004? compare to BX5?

thanks again!
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

mm_jld said:

thanks again!
smiley-cool.gif

Do you mean the Monitor Audio RX6?

If so then they'd work ok with the PM6004 but the amp wont drive them to their fullest capabilities. However the BX5's are an easier load and they'd work very well with the PM6004 indeed

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I appreciate that it's all subjective, but the Q series isn't hard to drive. A Denon DM38 can drive any of the range to decent levels without breaking a sweat. Q series impedance isn't an issue like it might be for R series, which dips to 3.2ohms.

mm_jld

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
mm_jld said:

thanks again!
smiley-cool.gif

Do you mean the Monitor Audio RX6?

If so then they'd work ok with the PM6004 but the amp wont drive them to their fullest capabilities. However the BX5's are an easier load and they'd work very well with the PM6004 indeed

No, pls see below link.

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/m-series/m6/

A

Anonymous

Looks like theyre only available in the States as thats the USA site you're looking at...

mm_jld

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
Looks like theyre only available in the States as thats the USA site you're looking at...

could be, since I cannot find any reviews on the website..

maybe no one in europe have that speaker... :wall:

A

Anonymous

The M/A BX5's or RX2's on decent mass-loaded stands will be more than adequate

A

Anonymous

Have just got Tannoy Mercury V and they are great with a new Marantz 6004 amp.
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS