PM6003 -> TD166 Mk VI noise?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm very new to the world of hi fi and was wondering if anyone had an explanation for a very high level of ambient noise when listening to records on my Thorens TD166 through my Marantz PM6003? My headphones are Grado SR225i's and experience no noise with CDs

I only just picked up the PM earlier today. I also use a CD6003 and experience no noise with that when listening with headphones. However when I switch to the channel for the Thorens (which I have plugged into the Phono "channel") I get a very present and constant hissing through my phones. As this hasn't been mentioned in any review I have read I can only assume something is wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

PS. The Thorens features a little tuning fork-shaped piece of metal on the end of a wire. I can only assume this is some sort of electronic ground so I have loosely attached it to a shelf mounted to my wall. Is this appropriate or should it be attached to somewhere specific?

Thank you for any help you may have to offer and sorry for the complete noobishness! If anyone had a kind of online guide to different aspects of hi fi equipment it would also be highly appreciated!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DopeyTrout said:
PS. The Thorens features a little tuning fork-shaped piece of metal on the end of a wire. I can only assume this is some sort of electronic ground so I have loosely attached it to a shelf mounted to my wall. Is this appropriate or should it be attached to somewhere specific?

Yes. The 'GND' screw-down connector on the back of the amp. (Right above the phono inputs.)

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I just had a look at the back and saw the screw. Listening happily now. Thanks for your help! :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts