please reccomend an All Round Amplifier for stereo and 5.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I'm in the process of renovating my living room and want to build a new entertainment centre. I already own a HD sony TV /sky HD, PS3. I am looking for an all round amplifier that will give great 5.1 sound for films and great stereo sound for music. Ideally I want two decent floor standing front speakers as part of any 5.1 speaker system. I am totally confused. I have read that many 5.1 amps dont do stereo very well. Also does 5.1 only work with the 4 small satellite speakers , a centre and sub? Surely two top qualilty speakers can do the job of the fronts and sub. I dont really want to go down the two amps route and therefore loads of speakers cluttering my living room. Can anyone help? My budget is around 1K.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Unless you're a real hi-fi perfectionist I think there are quite a few AV amps that will perform well at stereo. Until recently I used my 5.1 amp for this and thought it did very well with my BR5 fronts.
Regards a sub. It def does add to the film experience, normal speakers will not find the low level bass a sub will, however I was using my set-up without a sub for a couple of weeks and I was very please with it. My fronts are floor standers btw.
Perhaps start with a good 5.0 system and then borrow a sub and see if it adds anything or at least enough for you to add one.

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for the response.

So for my fronts can I use floor standing speakers rather than the ones that come with a standard 5.1 package- ie the little satellite ones. My concern is that most of the systems I'm seeing have really small front speakers and I couldnt see how they could provide high quality stereo sound

Also would you recommend Yamaha or Onkyo or Teac- just some brands I've seen for the amp that is

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes. You don't have to buy a 5.1 set of satellite speakers. You can have floor standers at the front, it's a good idea to buy a centre that matches the characteristics of the front. For instance I have a pair of Monitor Audio BR5 floor standers at the front and the matching BRLCR for the centre. Then you can be a bit more flexible with your rear speakers. As PP says something like the Q Acoustics package would be a good starting point.
You say your budget is £1000 does this include all cabling, or is it just for amp & speakers ?
I think amp from Onkyo & Yamaha should suit your requirements judged by other forum comments. I have no experience of them myself
When you're looking to buy, I'd say also consider ex-demo from a good dealer. You'll still get the warranty and get a bit more for your money.
Does 3d matter to you ?

A

Anonymous

No I dont care about 3d. As for budget total is 1k amp/speakers and another 200 or so for adhoc stuff like cables, brackets etc. I'll check out the brands you mentioined. Yamaha does seem to be highly rated in this price. bracket

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts