Please does anyone know the line-input voltage on the Marantz PM6006?

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I am thinking of using a Chord DAC and a Marantz PM6006.

The line out voltage of Chord DACs is set to 3V. Whereas the line-level voltage I am more familair with is 2.2V. I am aware that line level can be variable because the Rega Elex-R has an input voltage up to 10V.

Anyway, I have looked at the specifications page for Marantz PM6006, but no information on this. I have looked at the Contact Us page for Marantz, but that requires registration. (I might have to just go ahead and register I think.)

The PM6006 is a recent release amplifier though so I suspect information might be scarce. Maybe some folks know what the line-level in, is for the PM6005 which I guess will be similar.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought that with the MOJO for example, you can actually set the output to lower than 3v (or maybe that's by using the volume controls rather than a fixed setting. I didn't look too closely).

A Chord DAC seems like overkill for a PM6006. Also, if I were looking to use an offboard DAC, I probably wouldn't be buying an amp with an DAC built in. Seems like a waste of money, and -- in theory at least -- for similar money you should be able to buy a higher spec amp by buying one where part of the budget hasn't gone into including a DAC section.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
When you set the line level on the mojo, if you press the down vol button 4 times you then have a recommended line level of 1.9v . You'll have to read up, but I think the dac remember this line level for the next time line level is set

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Folks thanks, yes the line-out level on the Mojo and the Hugo can be varied. However yes I do own the Mojo but it doesn't mean that I intend always using the Mojo.

I don't think it's right to assume that a Chord DAC is in any way over-priced or over-kill for the PM6006. I use my Mojo on a lesser amp-speaker set up now and it's quite perfect. In fact right this second I am listening to Classic FM through the Mojo at 128kbps. It's not overkill for that.

Thanks for this advice. However whether or not an amp has a DAC in it or not is neither relevant to me. I have thought my situation through, and only keen to learn the line-level of theMarantz PM6006.

I mean it confuses me that Chord use 3V so standardly, when I thought line-level was 2.2V standard. However with the Rega having a more variable input, it makes me wonder. Or if line-level on many or most amp is 2.2V I need to re-think.

What matters is:-

a. The useable volume range on the amp, so that full power isn't at 11oclock.

b. Whether the amp input might clip at 3 volts - which is highly unlikely.

The DAC is set "loud" either to falsely impress on demo, or to drive a power amp fully, depending on your technical/sceptical thoughts.

I'd turn it down it down as advised above and not fret about measurements. Line inputs are pretty bomb proof, unlike RIAA phono inputs. The sensitivity is rarely quoted for that reason. The usable volume range is what matters.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Many amps can take various voltage input levels. I know this isn't what you asked.

I was in a similar situation to you recently trying to decide if the chord mojo would be suitable for current and future upgrades.

I have a marantz pm4200 and no instructions, but downloaded the Manual off the net. In the specs sheet it gives me the suitable values. I'd be sure if you download the pm6006 manual you'll find those specs also

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
On page 45 of the manual it gives a spec of 102db at 2v. To me this would suggest anything above 2 v is not 100% ideal. Obviously a 2.2v output CD player wouldn't cause an issue until the volume is at crazy levels, but I'd be slow to input a 3v dac

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
We had a similar question about three weeks ago and sadly there is still not a definitive answer. It's unlikely 3V would over power it, but it would make low volume adjustment tricky.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
We had a similar question about three weeks ago and sadly there is still not a definitive answer. It's unlikely 3V would over power it, but it would make low volume adjustment tricky.

Id tend to agree. My memory of the 6005 with the matching CD player was that it got loud pretty quickly, even with a relatively quiet CD I used. It certainly felt close to its limit before halfway.

Have you considered using it with a power amp, or getting an amp that has adjustable gain on the line in? (Do the current Arcam integrateds allow this? They at least list a max Vrms of 4.something).

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the hint about the manual; that's excellent. I will grab it.

I am just having a look at the Arcam FMJ A19 specifications but no mention of line-level voltage. (Seek the manual again then.) Heavy price though, and no built-in DAC back-up if the primary Chord DAC fails. Better amplifier though. I still have a Meridian Explorer as a back up DAC, but it's not as clear as a Chord. Or I think as clear as the DAC chip in the PM6006 will be. (The PM6006 uses the same DAC chip that the CD6006 will use/uses I think. The 6005 series did.)

The Mojo or Hugo are probably the most suited for this task, as they have variable output. However I am not entirely convinced using a battery powered device left plugged in all the time is perfect. I might move to another Chord DAC, so I was puzzled by no specs.

I was aware that Rob Watts suggested for the Mojo, to reduce four clicks down from 3V to attain 2.2V. However I have to question that. When I change over to my Meridian Explorer, its noticably quieter at 2.2V line-level than the Mojo. Secondly if four clicks takes it from 3V to 2.2V. Then logarythmically there would only be about ten more clicks (if that) to max volume, (I think).

Basically I am a little shaken by Chord's 3V line level. I know however it produces a better sound, rather than amplifying a lower level from a DAC.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
With my current system, the Mojo causes clips at 3V, and that's precisely why I am asking. Therefor it's imperative to deciding on amplifiers and Chord DACs. (I won't always be using a Mojo which can be varied.)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Definitely check the manuals. That's where I've been looking.

Not sure why you'd feel a backup DAC built into the amp is so important.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Actually no, it's the Meridian Explorer that is quieter than the Mojo at line level. I think four clicks down from 3V on the Mojo, might be a bit conservative.

I want a half-good back up DAC because after the Mojo, the Meridian Explorer isn't up to par. If whatever Chord DAC I were using at the time was out of service for whatever reason, I want back-up.

With Chord DACs having line-level voltage of 3V though, it really confuses the issue. I think I recall Rob Watts saying it's because that's power-amplifier input level. It makes pairing an integrated amplifier needing research effort.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes I see it's a 2V input. That would be 1.7??V rms input. Not going to pair with a Chord like the 2Qute which is set at 3V output. I would have to get a Chord with a variable output voltage. Am going to press on and look at other amps.

Thank you.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes I see it's a 2V input. That would be 1.7??V rms input. Not going to pair with a Chord like the 2Qute which is set at 3V output. I would have to get a Chord with a variable output voltage. Am going to press on and look at other amps.

Thank you.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
The Arcam FMJ A19 -- Line and AV inputs: Maximum input; 4V RMS.

No data on the Cambridge Audio CX60A.

I know the Rega Elex-R is up to 10V line level in. (The Elex however has no headphone socket so a Chord DAC would have to have one.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts