please, advice in upgrading cambridge/kef combo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there
I have a system which includes kef iq5, cambridge azur 540a vs2 amp and cambridge azur 640 vs2 cd player. I like the sound, but I got the upgrade bug. Would marantz pm7001 ki amp and sacd player significantly improve the sound of my system? Or perhaps should I consider other speaker options (I prefer small floorstanders)

And what about a carefully matched subwoofer? Would it really improve the sound, like I've been told? My listening room is medium to small, with a wooden floor in an old house... it resonates a bit on lower frequencies, if the volume's up (doesn't, really, if I put in the foam bungs) but I'm afraid something like the Rel Quake would create unwanted vibrations

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You say you 'like the sound but want to upgrade'. Got to be a little careful there otherwise you could end up in a viscious upgrade circle if for no other reason than to find another sound you like.

A lot of the sonic signature you hear is due to the speakers you use. Obviously not everything but a lot nevertheless so unless you're particularely unhappy with them, which you don't seem to be, it may be a good idea to hang on to them just for the moment. I happen to like some of Kef's iQ designs, mostly the larger models. Bass that's tight and does'nt boom. Add a good, small and fast sub and it will further tighten it up, underpin them, sweeten perceived treble and add scale.

As regards to amplifier/player you have a myriad choices but personally I would buy a DacMagic and use your old player/dvdp as transport unless you have more than £500 to spend on a source. The DM is also more flexible.

Same with the amp. You need spending £500 plus to get any real benefit of an upgrade. First port if it was me would be Denon's PMA1500AE or one of CA's products. Perhaps a Roksan K2 if you can stretch.

Hope this helps

PS. The Marantz'es are fine products too. Listen before you buy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I actually like the sound of my iq5s, it is intimate, detailed and a bit on the warm side, especially with voices. I can hear music at low volumes and pretty much hear every detail and intricate textures, just like I prefer (I don't like music painted in large strokes).But I miss a bit of scale, perhaps. I actually have the chance of introducing a marantz pm15s1 amp on the system chain, and at no cost - the owner of an audio shop owns me money and can pay like this. But I fear it may completely unbanlace my system. I tried before advance acoustic amp and cd player with the iq5: didn't like it. Then, I tried CA 640vs2amp... Didn't like it, too, compared with the 540avs2: the 540 had greater clarity in detail.

I believe the subwoofer would be a sensible choice and perhaps improve the sound in the way I feel it has to be improved.

As to the DAC Magic: do you really think my cd player would benefit from it, being used as a transport with a separate dac?

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dinadin:

... I believe the subwoofer would be a sensible choice and perhaps improve the sound in the way I feel it has to be improved.

As to the DAC Magic: do you really think my cd player would benefit from it, being used as a transport with a separate dac?

Thanks

To your last question, probably yes. Whether it is worth £200 in your opinion only you can say but the DM really is good plus it has filter options which do make a difference and are fun.

As for the sub, my usual suggestion for music is BK's Minotaur but I believe it has been discontinued now. It's basically based on the original Pro50 MK1 which is also infrequently on ebay as Ruark Vita50. A little marvel and very fast and musical. Good luck mate.

A

Anonymous

I'm actually considering something similar myself. I have the IQ5SE's but my source is a denon mini (optical out) though a denon avr 2309.

I was contemplating cdp/hifi amp for the fronts but I was advised that there would be little point as the kefs are the limiting factor.

I too like the kefs. I would be interested in learning how you get on and the degree of improvement you find.

A

Anonymous

Actually, I think you can largely improve your sound with good stereo cd/amp combos, and I don't think the kefs would hold you back. I had the chance to audition the kefs with Advance Acoustic kit (map 105 amp, 70 w p/c and cd/player with valve output stage) more expensive than the cambridge audio cd/amp that I currently own. They didn't sound so well. Then I tried a more expensive amp, Cambridge Audio's 640. Comparing it with the 540 amp, the latter provided clearer and sweeter sound and subtler detail. Sometimes it's a bit bright in upper frequencies, but only with some cds... with others you don't notice it at all, quite balanced and very detailed and smooth sound.

The kefs, I think, are great speakers, more refined (in my opinion) than monitor audio br5, for instance. But I never had the chance to hear the SE version. However, WHF seems to think they are even better.

These speakers are refined and never boomy in medium to sized rooms, not expensive, and look great. As long as the electronics match them well, I think they can be included in hi-fi systems costing far more than mine, and sound better still. Anyway, I am SURE they will play better than your current denon mini and AVR amp, as long as they are connected to good hi-fi separates. And they work pretty well with cambridge audio kit, if you like a smooth but energetic sound - no so 'in your face'.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice dinadin! I was actually thinking about CA kit. Depending on funds I was thinking about the 740 (because it has a fixed gain function as much as anything else). The only problem is that the local RS don't do demo's so I'm finding it difficult to justify buying anything 'blind'. Its additionally difficult to find anyone who stocks iq5se's to hear them with something else.

A

Anonymous

They will probably sound very well with CA 740 cd/amp. But of course you should try all you can to hear them playing together before you buy...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts