Playing t .v sound through a hi-fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma regarding my t.v (which is this one) http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Philips_42PFL5522D_HD_Ready_LCD_TV_42PFL5522D/version.asp and hifi / dvd player (which is this) http://www.bargainstock.co.uk/Product.asp?pid=813 . I have connected all the cables correctly as instructed in the manual and everything is working fine except I can't seem to get sound from the t.v playing through the hi-fi. When I put a dvd into the hi-fi, it plays fine on my t.v with sound coming from the hi-fi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my knowledge is a little low in the technology sector, thanks in advance.

P.S I'm waiting on my digital camera to re-charge so maybe I could upload a photo of how i've set my cables up.

A

Anonymous

i think you will need to connect audio cables from the tvs audio sockets[ marked l /r ] to audio sockets on the back of your hi fi!

A

Anonymous

I assume you have your DVD player connected direct to your Hi Fi if the sound is working correctly???

Some TV's have a menu option to turn unit speakers off. This enables external speakers to be used.

A

Anonymous

The DVD and hi-fi aren't two seperate units, it's an all in one combo thing.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Exactly, and that's why when you play a DVD, everything works fine. For TV sounds to come out of the hi-fi, you need a lead going from the TV to the amp to carry the sound. This will most likely be an RCA phono connection (i.e red and white sockets).

A

Anonymous

Yes - be carefull with TV there will be sockets on the back for audio in and audio out. They will most likely be RCA (phono) and the colour code for audio is the same for both in and out. (Red and White as the prof said.)

The audio in sockets are usually near the component video in sockets (red, green blue). The out will be a pair on their own generally.

A

Anonymous

Yea my t.v has red and white sockets on the back which are next to the red, blue and green sockets. It also has red and white sockets at the side, but i've tried plugging the red and white cables into both sets of sockets, still no joy.

A

Anonymous

I had this dilemna at work, I'm 99% this TV doesn't actually have an audio out!

Not certain but don't think so...

A

Anonymous

Those red and white phonos at the back and side are inputs, not outputs. Not entirely sure why Phillips think you would need two sets of these, but there you go. You could run the audio from the TV to the amp by way of the headphone out socket, using an appropriate connector, i.e. headphone jack to phonos.

Obviously the headphone out is variable level rather than fixed line level (i.e. the volume can be varied). I'm not sure if there are any potential issues with this as regards overloading the amp if the TV volume is set too high?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts