Playing non-region 2 DVDS on a UK blu-ray player ?

Quoman

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
I have read that Blu-ray discs are available in regions A,B or C (B covering Europe).

With that in mind, do multi-region Blu-ray players exist ?

If I buy a region 'B' Blu-ray player in the UK I have heard that it will play a DVD (note DVD - not blu-ray) irrespective of which region it comes from - is this true ?

Apologies if these questions seem silly.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

I think there ar two models on the sony ones, which is about 20.00 more than the other that will play different regions, I think that includes blu-ray

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Quoman:I have read that Blu-ray discs are available in regions A,B or C (B covering Europe). With that in mind, do multi-region Blu-ray players exist ? If I buy a region 'B' Blu-ray player in the UK I have heard that it will play a DVD (note DVD - not blu-ray) irrespective of which region it comes from - is this true ? Apologies if these questions seem silly. Thanks in advance.Yes, multi region blu-ray players exist, but they are a non standard modification. I have a modified oppo bdp 83 which is multi region for blu-rays AND dvds.

No, a standard region B Blu-ray player will not play a DVD irrespective of region. Blu-ray players modded to be multi region for DVD only are quite common, but again it is a non standard (not supported by the manafacturer) modification.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's a two-stage thing, as the Blu-ray regions have no effect on DVD regions. Yes, it's possible to buy players that are multiregion, but you have to make sure what they are multiregion for: usually it's DVD only, but it's possible to modify a few players so they are multiregion for Blu-ray, or at least can be switched between BD regions.

canada16:I think there ar two models on the sony ones, which is about 20.00 more than the other that will play different regions, I think that includes blu-ray

No, they won't be multiregion for blu-ray discs. Making a player multiregion for blu-ray discs requires a hardware modification, which very few people do for around £150 - £200 over & above the cost of the player, like this one.

A lot of players can be made multiregion for DVDs apart from Sony. The only player I'm aware of which cannot be modded to play multiregion DVDs, is the PS3.

This is one of the cheapest players that's both multiregion for DVDs & blu-ray discs.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Which HMV were selling in-store a few weeks ago for £50!

You need to enter a code on the remote to enable BD multi-region, which I haven't done yet as I don't have any non-UK BDs yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts