Play us your turntable!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thought this might be a bit of fun for others to contribute to with their own kit, I'll start off, though I realise very few people have the means to record their hifi except via their speakers from a phone-mike. Only after I came up with what I thought was a great idea for a bit of fun did I think about the fact that, because of copyright, videos like this will probably get pulled down faster than newlyweds' underwear on their wedding night. But hey ho, it was just something to pass a dreary damp Sunday; watch it while you can.

Album:[/u] Band On The Run, Paul McCartney & Wings, 2010 Archive Edition

Gear:[/u]

Turntable and cartridge: Thorens TD160 (Mk1 with TP16 arm); Ortofon MC-3 Turbo, Baerwald aligned using the TP16-specific alignment protractor from VinylEngine.

Pre-amp: Mission Cyrus 2

Recording hardware: Apple Mac Mini (2010)

Recording software: Apple Logic Pro @24bit 44.1kHz

Audio post-processing: Normalised to 0dBFS (no addtional eq, compression nor any other modification).

(Video footage: iPhone 5S)

https://youtu.be/_3o-RfB5xUM

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
listening through my headphone set up! ;-) Something about watching black pieces of plastic spin around even if they belong to someone else! Good idea, doubt though I'd be able to get a half decent sounding video recorded but may still try...

I will watch the whole thing when I settle down for the evening...

:Lovely looking turntable too,

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Its a good idea, should be more of it on this forum.

Not sure about youtube regs, mostly single tracks on the turntable videos I've seen.

To be honest I'm not a Wings fan.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
And the point of the exercise is ?

It still all sounds cr*p through my tablet. :)

nothing other than to see and hear (limitations of YouTube not withstanding) other members' setups for a bit of lighthearted fun. No great meaningful deep purpose.

MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
And the point of the exercise is ?

It still all sounds cr*p through my tablet. :)

nothing other than to see and hear (limitations of YouTube not withstanding) other members' setups for a bit of lighthearted fun. No great meaningful deep purpose.

Thought so Major. Just didn't want to promote what some posters have done lately concerning being able to hear the differences between two cartridge by listening to Youtube. ;-)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
spend a fair amount of time looking at kit particularly turntables on Youtube, because I'm sad like that... ;-) They have a visual magic about them (especially the more exotic ones) that few other areas of hifi can match so I never bore of it.

luckylion100 said:
spend a fair amount of time looking at kit particularly turntables on Youtube, because I'm sad like that... ;-) They have a visual magic about them (especially the more exotic ones) that few other areas of hifi can match so I never bore of it.

Nothing sad about that. Just as long as you realise the sound effects for same are meaningless. ;-)

MajorFubar said:
So no one else yet fancy posting up a tune?

I think that you might have limited response due to the difficulty of actually posting a photo on this forum. This is why I have never attempted it. Most first timers have difficulty in sizing pictures to suit., and as for adding a link to YouTube, gods help us!

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
luckylion100 said:

Nothing sad about that. Just as long as you realise the sound effects for same are meaningless. ;-)

realise it. Like I said it's entirely the visual aspect I enjoy. I have no peers with a passion for hifi, when I mention my keen interest, most people reply along the lines of, "Oh yes I like music I play it on my Nano everyday." So for this 'Billy No Mates' it's either the hifi press, social media and the internet in general of which Youtube can be a great resource for sage advice, to drool over and for experiencing diverse opinions and debate.

That's my 300!! ;-)

Gray

Despite the limitation of YouTube audio and my, pathetic, farthing sized, laptop speakers, I've heard a lot worse. Mind you I've always liked Wings and I've got a 160S (which probably just means a bit of felt damping stuck to the chassis cost me extra money)

I'll give it a go through DAC / hi-fi next to give it a better chance.

Wouldn't be too concerned about copyright, nobody else seems too bothered on the old YT do they?

You mentioned Claire Anderson on the tuner thread, 'The Late Lounge' 2CD compilation is worth a go - even if you just borrow it from a library and don't record it.

I can't fault your music taste Major, keep it up.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
So no one else yet fancy posting up a tune?

Given previous history of people maliciously posting every fact they can find about me on this forum you'll forgive me if I don't show the world the inside of my house and its contents.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Just tried watching and it says video not available
very strange...it's definitely still there.

i hope someone else posts up a video, otherwise it will look like I only started this thread to parade my own kit, and that wasn't the intention.

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
jimbofisher said:
Just tried watching and it says video not available
very strange...it's definitely still there.

i hope someone else posts up a video, otherwise it will look like I only started this thread to parade my own kit, and that wasn't the intention.

Video is down.

I bet if you check you've got either a Copyright Strike or Content ID claim against that video.

Not a great idea in the first place given where Copyright strikes can lead...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
this morning! ;-) Setting myself up here I know...

Love a bit of early morning Wings. It's still plays on my web browser probably because the laptop had been left on overnight. But yes it's sadly gone on other devices...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Playing on my laptop still, haven't checked any other devices.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Meh...If people can no longer see it, I may as well delete the video and throw it into my "seemed like a good idea at the time *unknw*" basket, which is getting rather full.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
...but it's a bit of a faff. I think what we really need is a video chatroom where sharing things like this is much easier. Sort of a skype thing, I guess. In terms of enabling communication in the digital age, this site is pretty analogue tbh. You would then have the option to watch or, if you felt comfortable, to share. Maybe I'm just a goddamn agitator.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts