Play.com Mega Monday sale now on - but no Shure bargains this week....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Play.com has some decent deals in its Mega Monday sale - though seemingly more on discs than electronics this week (no cheapo Shures today!).

Still, Tombraider: Underworld (PS3) for £17.99 should make someone happy!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't bother trying to get Tomb Raider any more - I had it in my basket at the £17.99 price and have since been browsing the shop for other presents. I have just come to checkout and suddenly, the price in my basket for Tomb Raider had gone up to £33.99. I'm guessing they decided to only run that offer for a few hours but seems a tad unfair to change the price when I had already put the offered price in my basket - basically for shopping more and spending more money with them, I was penalised.
Has annoyed me quite substantially and as a result, have removed all other items and will get all Christmas shopping elsewhere - two can play that game. I would let them know but their phone number just says it's busy and hangs up and there doesn't seem to be any other way of contacting them. Shame, as I liked play.com and have spent a lot of money with them but the principle means I won't use them now (or at least not for quite a while).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks fella - yup, just got the Xbox version for same price which is excellent (since I'd already promised it to someone at the £17.99 price!). Managed to get through to Play eventually to the old India call centre (never had to ring them before). As usual, took a while to get over what the issue was and she just said it was the £33.99 price at the moment and might go back down later, I'd have to keep looking. After a few more goes of trying to explain I felt a bit cheated and I was long time customer, and getting the same reply, I asked to speak to someone further up the line to explain the issue so she put me on hold and cut me off.
Looks like Amazon will be getting all my custom this year!

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
We've used Amazon for almost all our Xmas shopping this year. Their service has been flawless over about 25 separate orders other than a mix-up over the PS3 bundle we'd ordered. However, as a result of that mix-up Amazon agreed to let me keep the discounted products I had received in part shipment and then order a new bundle with a new set of discounted bundle products. We ended up with FIFA '09, a blu-ray remote and an HDMI cable for £10 in addition to being able to grab extra free games, movies for £7 and so on with the second bundle.

I could not have asked for more and not only was the result excellent so was the service and follow-up. Amazon themselves responded very quickly to my emails and called me twice so that they could tell me what the outcome was going to be.

ÿ

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, I too have had very good service from Amazon in the past, including past mix-ups with the ordering system and also have got timely resolution by email to any issues ensuring future purchases. This is the first time I've had to contact Play about this sort of thing and, whilst I understand completely I had no absolute claim to buy at the cheaper price, I thought considering the circumstances, they would have at least listened to my grievance and possibly done a deal considering the amount of custom I have with them in the past. Apparently that assumption was unfounded.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face and if I see a ridiculously good deal from Play which is unavailable anywhere else, I'll still take advantage of it (remembering to press Checkout straight away of course!), but they certainly won't be my de facto choice of online shops like they used to be.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah always had good service from both, but you can always get better deals from Play and i was lucky enough to get both tomb raider and prince of persia for £17.99 as well as pure for £9.99 on xbox 360 so i can't grumble.It is annoying when prices jump around and i can understand peoples frustration but im sure the price will change again. Just looked at amazon showing tomb raider for new as £17.99 when you click on the subject it shows £33.50 i think so thats misleading. As they both do 3 fo r2 on blurays i always check both as they don't sell the same titles, now waiting for a deal on cod5 and thats it for this year.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Play.com's mailout has the following disclaimer at the bottom:

All products subject to availability. Play.com reserve the right to change prices.
Check website for latest availability and pricing.

But it seems the early birds bagged Lara! (I received the mailout at 6.39am this morning - WAY too early for me...)

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Lobby - Look to your right on the Amazon page. The £17.99 price is available from Amazon. You'll find the higher price displayed is from one of their merchants (I see Amazon do this a surprising amount - seemingly favouring a retailer other than themselves when displaying initial prices).

Do agree though - it pays to keep an eye on both Play and Amazon, and maybe then check on pricerunner, to get the best price.ÿ

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, you've sometimes got to be quick with their 'Sale' prices. That's fair enough to me though, feels much the same as the Richer Sounds "Ah, we've just run out of that (big-brand) item, we do have this (linked company) product instead though" type of patter I used to endure
emotion-5.gif

I've had a couple of problems with Play in the past, but I guess they were more due to the Postal service, as I now live round the corner from them and everything arrives perfectly the following morning. Which is nice.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just as an update to this, got an email from Amazon today apologising as they couldn't get the Xbox version of Tomb Raider out to me for Christmas. Cancelled the order for the Xbox version and got the PS3 version with Express delivery so it arrives tomorrow, then sent an email explaining I needed either version for a Christmas present and if I'd been told last Monday, I could have got the PS3 version without paying £8 for fast delivery. Within a few hours, got a reply saying the delivery charge was being refunded.
And that is why Amazon will henceforth get my business instead of Play - simple good service.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts