Plates On or Off

It is right that some people say that. Accordingly, a number of cable suppliers sell links to replace the plates.

I'm not aware that it is a universal view, though there is no doubt the excitement about bi-wiring has diminished significantly in the 25 or so years since it became fashionable. I can see that less is sometimes more, and bi-wire cables are often bulkier and more costly. Many higher-end designs now seem to come without the option.

I suspect that if you have had your speakers in their original state for several years, cleaning and refastening the plates would be a worthwhile step, but trying links made with offcuts is worth experiementing with. If you buy pre-made links, make sure you can return them (which the likes of Russ Andrews offer) if you aren't impressed.

camcroft

Hi and thanks,what i meant was at the moment the factory fitted plates are on and I am just using single cables not bi-wire ones the + and - are connected to the low frequency binding post with plates connected between high and low frequencies and would the removal of these plates make any difference or improvement to the sound.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Camcroft if you remove the plates and do not replace with cables you will be disconnecting one or more of the drivers so it would not sound good :) :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You could experiment with removing the jumper bars and replacing them with short links of speaker cable. As has already been mentioned, some companies make jumper cables for just this purpose, such as these,

Jumper%20Cables.jpg

but you could just as easily do it with short offcuts of cable.

Whether or not it will sound different will be a matter of 'suck it and see'; ditto whether different = better.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I posted to the same effect as Toyota Man but the computer logged me off as I hit the 'go'! |(

Apart from that, you will find that the jury is out on the whole bi-wire and replacement of the plates malarkey. Best advice is try it and see for yourself, but if you remove the plates and don't put an alternative in, I think it is very likely you will notice an adverse effect.

Other options (with plates in place) are: try cabling to high frequencies instead or even diagonally such that one high frequency and one low frequency is connected by the speaker cable. Views differ.

If it is not likely to do harm to the system, and isn't going to cost much, I always say give it a try. :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
camcroft said:
Hi.I have read somewhere on this site where people removed the bi-wire plates and they said that it improved the sound,is this right or wrong.Thanks

Try it and see, it's hardly difficult. A bit like asking 'will I like Marmite' when the jar is in front of you.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This is the easiest and most cost effective way to replace bi or tri wire plates .

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYvkvVnYUxenrTewiGvws5ucrq-jldM1Yaac9Gxee6V8XHyQIezHWelRU4

It is brilliant yet so simple :grin:

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
posted this on the forum myself, why don't you try it and see for yourself. Cut some speaker wire and put it in place of the links...enjoy!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the picture in the link closely you will see that you don't even have to cut the speaker wire, just strip back a long length of copper on the speaker cable and thread it through the terminals .

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYvkvVnYUxenrTewiGvws5ucrq-jldM1Yaac9Gxee6V8XHyQIezHWelRU4

No jumpers or short lengths of wire needed :)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
If you look at the picture in the link closely you will see that you don't even have to cut the speaker wire, just strip back a long length of copper on the speaker cable and thread it through the terminals .

The only thing that worries me about this set up is that there is too much exposed wire which can cause a shock to any child touching it. Oxidation can also occur too

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
shafesk said:
Electro said:

The only thing that worries me about this set up is that there is too much exposed wire which can cause a shock to any child touching it. Oxidation can also occur too

There is little or no risk of any type of shock if touching speaker cable as the voltage is so low , if there was any risk then manufacturers would insulate the exposed speaker terminals .

You are right that with the extra area of exposed cable oxidization could occur but a quick spray of caig deoxit or a similar product on the wire before connecting should stop this for many years , and if it did oxidise over a long period then just cut of the affected section and bare a fresh few inches :)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm,

Interesting, I will give this a go as have to rewire my system this week after the builders caused me to dismantle everything and have just bought some new van damme cable so to bare a few inches won't be an issue.

Will post my thoughts for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for the idea, have always used the jumper plates and do the high low connecting thing but was told it made little difference but just liked the look of it !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts