Pioneer SC-LX88

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I used to use an R300 AV package with an SCLX85 (then an 86) and the system sounded great. The KEFs like clean sounding amplification with plenty of control, which the Pioneer provides. The MA Silver or Golds will work fine too, and I have no doubt the Pioneer will do a good job driving them as they're not too demanding. Any comments about Pioneer and MA being bright together (there usually is!) are null and void, as Pioneer's X-Curve feature can be used to curtail the top end by up to 3dB in 0.5dB steps - works very well with some speakers in certain rooms.

If you like your music clean, I'm sure you'll enjoy either combination.

D

Deleted member 2457

I once got recommended the Monitor Audio Silver 8 with a Pioneer amp by Sevenoaks.

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everybody for your replies.

I personally trust you guys more with your own experience than my own "listening sessions". Very helpfull endeed.

Jerry

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I would say, and this is the only downside of Pioneer AV receivers, is that they use a global crossover point - whichever speakers you set to small, will all have to share the crossover point of the smallest/least capable speaker, which isn't the most ideal option when using floorstanders at the front, with a smaller centre, and even smaller rear speakers. You can leave the front left/right as large, but I've never been a fan of sharing bass between speakers and subs.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree completely with what David says.. I have been doing a lot of reading up on mcacc. Before I had my fronts set to large for dd, dts hd ma etc. I have now got various combinations for say music, movies, sport etc. Started using the all channel adjust in the advanced mcacc settings too..

John

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think a single crossover point is largely better anyway.

The sub has to integrate with multiple speakers - the difference between say 70hz and 90hz is huge when it comes to a crossover blend between sub and speaker - so dont let that put you off.

By this I mean if you have different speakers at different crossover its impossible to get a perfect blend with all of them

The time I can see a different cross over being of benefit is front and back seperation.

With the best intentions getting a sub dialled in perfectly with the front 3 speakers is difficult enough and I think it will be out of phase with the rears anyway depending on location - not 100% on that

So you can have a higher crossover for the fronts something like 80 - 100hz which gives a real punchy sound but run a lower crossover for the rears of say 60hz so the rear channels have a bit more weight / fullness to them then they would at the higher crossover.

This is just a theory as I cannot do this in my setup either - whats the thoughts on this idea ???

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jerryapril@msn.com said:
I personally trust you guys more with your own experience than my own "listening sessions".

Really? Why? You're the one that's going to be living with it for the next X years, if you think the combination is bright and you don't like it, don't buy it! They're your ears, nobody else can listen to it for you.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
jerryapril@msn.com said:
I personally trust you guys more with your own experience than my own "listening sessions".

Really? Why? You're the one that's going to be living with it for the next X years, if you think the combination is bright and you don't like it, don't buy it! They're your ears, nobody else can listen to it for you.
Completely agree.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:

The sub has to integrate with multiple speakers - the difference between say 70hz and 90hz is huge when it comes to a crossover blend between sub and speaker - so dont let that put you off.

By this I mean if you have different speakers at different crossover its impossible to get a perfect blend with all of them
I always try to recommend the same crossover point for all speakers, and also usually recommend they be set to small as well (even large speakers) at least for normal 5.1/7.1 systems anyway. For Atmos type systems, I think it would be fine to set the height speakers to a different crossover, as they're most likely not going to be exactly the same as the front speakers.

So you can have a higher crossover for the fronts something like 80 - 100hz which gives a real punchy sound but run a lower crossover for the rears of say 60hz so the rear channels have a bit more weight / fullness to them then they would at the higher crossover.

This is just a theory as I cannot do this in my setup either - whats the thoughts on this idea ???
The problem I see with that is that you're making the assumption that the rear speakers are going to firstly, be capable at 60Hz, and secondly, be big enough to be that capable, which most rear speakers won't be, as they tend to be smaller than the front speakers.

David@FrankHarvey said:
ellisdj said:

I always try to recommend the same crossover point for all speakers, and also usually recommend they be set to small as well (even large speakers) at least for normal 5.1/7.1 systems anyway. For Atmos type systems, I think it would be fine to set the height speakers to a different crossover, as they're most likely not going to be exactly the same as the front speakers.?

The problem I see with that is that you're making the assumption that the rear speakers are going to firstly, be capable at 60Hz, and secondly, be big enough to be that capable, which most rear speakers won't be, as they tend to be smaller than the front speakers.

I was about to say the same thing. My rear speakers' frequency range starts at 60Hz, so 70-80Hz would be the minimum crossover in my case.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That scenario was based on my setup - but the theory I think is credible and I explained it to try and help the op not make the wrong decision there based on feature set. I not been able to try it but I preferred my rear channels when they were on 60hz - but the rest of my setup is a million times better on 100hz crossover so that wins overall - compromise made there

BB your situation with your speakers

if they are rated from 60 hz you will get 60hz out of them with the xover set at 60hz.

if you set it at 80hzxover 60hz will be pretty inaudible because of the 24db crossover.

Bat in the middle 70hz will probably be best

I will try and post some pictures to demonstrate - it will also show the difference between the 2 xover and how big it is and why having different is probably not the best.

Atmos ceiling is different - I wouldnt know whats best for them without a good play

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
also worth me stating my rears are about 3 metres behind the listenign positon which is different to a lot of people that sit on top of the rears. This could well ruin my theory

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The_Lhc said:
jerryapril@msn.com said:

Completely agree.

Completely disagree.

Look at the response I got here to my question: Both MA and KEF's good with Pioneer AVR so now I can go and audition these kits if I wanted to.

If replies would be negative, why should I ever waste my time and try to audition what was negatively reviewed by folks here on this forum?

I once visited my local Hi-Fi dealer also posting here and he rudely showed me off his shop for just asking him if he would match the price of an auditioned kit with other dealers advertising on the internet. His reply was: I work for the money, do not you?

ellisdj said:
if they are rated from 60 hz you will get 60hz out of them with the xover set at 60hz.

I was reading Audioholics article on subwoofer calibration which advised to go at least 10Hz above the minimum that the speakers are capable of, to set the crossover point. So minimum 70Hz for my speakers. Of course, nothing is black and white and a bit of experimenting will help.

jerryapril@msn.com said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
The_Lhc said:
jerryapril@msn.com said:

Completely agree.

Completely disagree.

Look at the response I got here to my question: Both MA and KEF's good with Pioneer AVR so now I can go and audition these kits if I wanted to.

If replies would be negative, why should I ever waste my time and try to audition what was negatively reviewed by folks here on this forum?

I once visited my local Hi-Fi dealer also posting here and he rudely showed me off his shop for just asking him if he would match the price of an auditioned kit with other dealers advertising on the internet. His reply was: I work for the money, do not you?

I think you've missed the point. Yes, seeking advice from us to shortlist your equipment for audition is fine. But trusting our advice (when we may not have auditioned) over your own demo experience is not something we would recommend.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

I was reading Audioholics article on subwoofer calibration which advised to go at least 10Hz above the minimum that the speakers are capable of, to set the crossover point. So minimum 70Hz for my speakers. Of course, nothing is black and white and a bit of experimenting will help.

Generally with a crossover the speakers blend and support each other - I have just checked and there is not as much difference as I was expecting.

You are looking at roughly a -6/7db at 60hz if you crossover at 80hz - so its likely 60hz is pretty inaudible for rears, different for fronts. There was only about a -3db at 70hz though which is very audible.

So the audioholics 10hz minimum suggestion seems spot on

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jerryapril@msn.com said:
Completely disagree.

I may recommend a system that I think is pretty amazing, but that doesn't mean that everyone who hears it will think the same thing. Sometimes, when individuals slate a particular system, it may be that they have an axe to grind, or they had a bad experience at a show or dealer of that particular speaker package or something. Quite a few on here (including a dealer) would say that a Pioneer/Monitor Audio system would sound bright when the question of the system working together as whole was brought up - yet a few forum members on here have this combination and love them. I always contested the bright accusation because of a feature the Pioneer has that makes it easy to tailor the HF response of all of the speakers at the same time.

If you choose not to audition a particular option, regardless of what has been said about it, you might lose out on hearing the system that could be perfect for you.

Hi, I've got the Pioneer SC-LX88 with five KEF LS50's and one SVS SB-2000 sub. I WISH I had the R's... that might be the only upgrade I do if I move my entertainment gear into a much larger room.

I mainly use my system for listening to music (over 90% of the time).

I used to stick with stereo mode for music (never gave the other modes a listen) but when I read Sound & Vision's review of the Elite SC-89 (equivalent to the LX88), the reviewer really liked music in the new single 'Dolby Surround' mode.

So I thought I'd see what the reviewer was talking about and for a month or so I listened to all my music in Dolby Surround mode and personally it's now the only setting I use for music, and I just leave it on that for TV/movies also.

I had an Anthem MRX 710 for about a month, with the same speakers + cables etc, but for my ears (and maybe due to the Pionee+KEF pairing?) the LX88's with these KEF's played my music exactly the way I want it.

Love it !

As always though, try and organise a demo, with your own music preferably !

Cheers :)

Completely agree! I started with a 2.1 setup, with a pair of LS50's and the Peachtree Audio Nova 125SE (also Class D amplification) and the same SVS sub.

The Pioneer receiver was the only receiver I could find that produced the same sound for music as the Peachtree (to my ears) setup and it had the the added bonus of surround sound, for TV/movies (and now music). It was sad to let the Peachtree go at first (sold it), but there was no backwards step in enjoyment when it came to listening to the new setup.

Anyway hope this helps somebody out there :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts