Pioneer SC-LX87

Ian C79

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Dear What Hi Fi team

I just read your first test of this receiver. As a system builder you recommended B&W CM 9 speaker package. What about other packages (Monitor Audio, KEF, Dali, etc.), did you test them with this receiver? Which speaker cables did you use?

It would be great to get more details what kind of equipment did you use.

Thanks

Flax

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not to answer your question Ian but I am considering the Pioneer SC-LX57 for use with my Monitor Audio Silver Series speaker package. I currently use these speakers with Audiolab / Cyrus kit as I prefer a lean precise sound but I am not sure if these speakers are considered to have the bright sound that What Hi Fi advises not to partner with the Pioneer - so any further comments on this topic would be appreciated. Thank you in advance people

D

Deleted member 2457

WHF in the past have recommended the Pioneer amps with Monitor Audio RX 6 package and Monitor Audio Apex, I doubt this has changed.

Flax

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Gel - always best to have a shortlist to audition. On another note does anyone have an opinion on sticking Cyrus pwr amps (50 w) onto the Pioneer (er..more than 50 w). Thanks peoples

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
The bulk of the SC-LX87 test was done with our two reference speaker packages. These packages are based around Monitor Audio PL300s and the Mordaunt Short Performance 6s. Both packages are highly revealing, but have quite different characters, so helping us judge how well the Pioneer would cope with different flavours of speakers. We used Chord Epic Twin speaker cable for this test.

As far as recommending speaker packages goes we think the the B&W CM9 set-up is a good match in both performance and price terms. It has the refinement and tonal balance to suit the Pioneer. However, that doesn't mean rival alternatives wouldn't work. Our schedules are tight, so we're limited in the variety of alternatives we can try.

buzz_lightclick

Finally caught the review in the mag, 5 stars as expected and little to separate it from the Yamaha 3030, just a different sound signature which is down to personal taste. However I was surprised that there was no mention of the fact that it only comes with the standard IR remote control now, there is no longer any option to order an RF remote for the receiver. I wonder why Pioneer have decided to do this, is it just to keep the costs down?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The fact that both iOS and Android are now supported by apps, it almost renders the conventional remote as useless. The layout (which is identical to my receiver) is fussy and VERY counter-intuitive (constantly having to press "receiver" before other buttons will respond to pressing them - what's that about??) and the buttons and text are far too small. (Yes - I do have good eyesight).

The control apps are beautifully laid out, are far easier to fine tune balance or sound modes and just much bigger and easier to see - particularly for internet radio, but for most other functions too.

The only thing I continue to use the remote for is tweaking the volume quickly. So I would imagine that the prevalence of smart-phones in most houses has led to the conventional remote becoming a bit of an after-thought now.

Manos

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought this amp a couple of months ago and matched it with B&W's MT-60D by adding 3 more M1s in order to get the 9.1 (8.1 in my case, one surround back) effect.

The system sounds brilliant, with a bit boosted treble, but the auto MCACC solved that to a great extend. I control it through the very nice iConrolAV 2013. I believe that the sound lacks "body" so I consider adding a pair of B&W CM-10s (bi-amped) mainly for my vinyls and a CM Cetre 2.

I noticed in the receiver's manual that if you bi-amp the front speakers, the front wide speaker terminals on the back of the receiver are faded wich means that they may not be used. Correct?

Any advise from you gentlemen?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts