Pioneer PDP-428XD

billsmith1of8

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Having read in What Hi Fi "Best TVs you can buy" a Pioneer PDP-LX508D is available in full HD, does anyone know whether the Pioneer PDP-428XD will be superseeded by a full HD model, as I am in the market to buy a new TV, and I am undecided whether to wait for this, or go for a Sony KDL40X3500.

Any views please?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We haven't had a Full HD 42in plasma from Pioneer yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one in the pipeline. I'll check with Pioneer on Monday when I'm back in the office and let you know.

A

Anonymous

Hi there !

I am also interested on that information. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I'm Interested tooooooo :D I would have got the 428xd 2moro otherwise!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Pioneer has no plans to release a 42in Full HD Kuro in the current range - ie in at least the next 6 months. It believes you need a bigger set to notice the difference - and when the 42in looks better than anything else, even with Blu-ray etc, who's to argue!

A

Anonymous

When I first saw the PDP-428XD it was showing an ordinary DVD and I was simply stunned by the line definition, depth of colour, vividness, etc. However I was slightly less impressed when the screen was displaying Blu-ray because it wasn't actually that much better than with the DVD; I thought the image, whilst having wonderfully rich colours, was too soft / not detailed enough and seemed to have too much background noise compared to Full HD rivals such as Panny's PZ70. Does anyone else have a similar opinion?

A

Anonymous

I have been watching a lot of my old DVDs since my recent purchase of a PS3 and 428XD. I agree the pictures are stunning. So much so that I have not rushed out to buy a load of Blu-ray discs unless there is only a small price differential.

However, when I do watch my few Hi-defs, I am equally stunned. I only have a Dav-is10 to look after my audio, but anybody with one of those big Onkyo (or similar) jobbies could really take advantage of HD.

I agree the Panny was superb when I was looking. Just a bit wide!

A

Anonymous

David I'm sure your Pioneer is delivers a great picture but if you look closely, don't you notice a little grain in the background? And don't you find that the colours are maybe too vivid, and slightly unnatural? The reason I ask is because I was in a branch of Lakes where I live, and they have a 428XD on display showing A night at the museum on Blu-ray, and then the LX508D showing a Blu-ray demo disc, which in my opinion was much better. Now, I don't know if the improved picture of the LX508D is all because of the extra resolution, or partly because of different quality discs. I just wish that I could go back to the What Hi-Fi show and see the tvs again, side by side showing the exact same content, although I do seem to remember the thinking the same thing about the 428XD; brilliant colour and vividness, but not the sharpest picture around, which dissapointed me after reading the raving reviews from the mag, but I guess it proves what they say in the mag about quality of televisions and hifi kit being a personal matter with different people valuing different attributes. Anyway, David, how do you rate specifically your set's line definition and sharpness?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We have no argument with you - the Pioneer PDP-LX508D is better than the PDP-428XD - that's why it won an Award as best 46in+ set in our Awards and we clearly described it as the best TV we'd ever seen.

However, it's got a list price of £3700, compared to the 42in TV's list price of £2000 - we know that both the size and price of the bigger set are beyond the vast majority of people's living rooms/pockets.

That's why we made the 42in set our Product of the Year - for the money, it's the best TV you can buy by far.

If you have the room and cash for the 50in, go for it - it's awesome.

A

Anonymous

Hey Claire. I was just wondering if you knew any really good television shops in the west London / Berkshire / Bucks area where I can see a range of the top sets around at the moment (Pioneer 428XD, Pioneer LX508D, Panasonic 42PZ700, Panasonic 42PZ70, Panasonic 42PX70, maybe some LCDs, etc.) side by side like they were at the show, so I can have a good compare? Like I said before, I wish I could go back to the show! Anyway, cheers.

A

Anonymous

I will stick on my 'night at the museum' blu-ray tomorrow and report back.

As Clare said, the lx508 is an alltogether different beast so it would be pushing it a bit to say that it is because it is 'Full' HD it has the better picture ergo the Panny 42pz70, because it is also 'Full' HD, will have a better picture than the 428xd.

I wish I could get hold of some of those HD Demo dvd's. How to impress your friends!!. They are shot and shown to extol the virtues of HD so you were correct when you suspected that the discs may have played a part in your judgement.

I think the reason that Pioneer have not brought out an lx428d would be price. Given the mark up of the lx508 over the 508xd, asking £2500 for a 'Full' HD 42" telly when any improvement may be negligable at that screen size would probably be pushing it a bit.

The various (and numerous) picture controls on the Pioneer have allowed me to costomise to a level that suits me. It took time - and I will no doubt continue to tweak. Innitially I got a bucket full of settings from that other big AV site that has a forum that we are unable to mention here, and then used the THX and DVE discs. I have also just bought (from the States) the Spyder tv Pro with a view to earning a few extra coppers. That is my 'next big project' !!

I bought my 428xd from Synergy Sound & Vision, Hight St, Pinner. £1700 inc 5yr warrenty. I'm sure if you give them a bell beforehand they will let you take along a couple of your favourite discs to try out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts