pioneer lx70a

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
got this player today! certainly a more detailed picture than my ps3 and great dts ma sound via my denon 4308, however what i wanted to know is why does it take so long to come to operation mode when switched on and why does it take so long to load disc's? superbad on ps3 takes 25 secs, on the pioneer it takes almost three mins!! crazy for a £1000 machine, my found it highly amusing! also, build quaility is only as good as a 200 quid dvd player. i do love it after my first day, but this is not good. was waiting for denon but would not wait any longer, can't comment on their loading times but their machine is bullit proof next to the pio. bit odd the WHF team did not comment on build, such as the flimsy plastic disc tray! again do love it but it should respond better and at least have a metal front for a grand! what do others think

A

Anonymous

I agree, thought pioneer would have built the lx70a much like the pdd6j cd player but its just not. You should have waited for the new Denon BD transport
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

any chance of someone on the WHF team that tested this player responding to my concerns? thinking of taking it back and waiting for the denon

A

Anonymous

i have the 70a as well. Yes it does take a long time to come into operation mode and yes mine also seems to take quite a while to load certain bd discs, some longer than others. I put this down to 2 reasons (only my opinion for what it's worth), firstly there is so much more information on the disc that the 70a has to read incl the dts hd sound which ur ps3 doesnt need to do. Secondly, it is still a v new format and as such it wont be the quickest (though it really is the best available at present). It really is a v complex bit of kit and i think that the shortfalls of loading times etc are outweighed by the performance. What version firmware has yours got?.

A

Anonymous

version 3.0 does update 3.5 spped things up? the remote is not very responsive either. the denon machine is made of metal and is as quick as a ps3, got fed up of waiting or would have got one of those. plastic on a grands worth of product is not good though. do like it, but don't know how WHF teamcan say it's well built

A

Anonymous

by the way, having a dts hd soundtrack does not make a diff to loading times as the player only reads the disc contents at first. think pioneer are gonna have a problem once denon release their players in a few months

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry for not responding earlier. If you've seen our current issue's HD supplement, you'll see we ran the 'Blu-ray Olympics' - timing how long five key players took to load Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

The results were:

Sony PlayStation 3 - 01:21.3

Panasonic DMP-BD30 - 02:10.7

Samsung BD-1400- 03:43.0

Sony BDP-S500 - 04:01.7

Pioneer BDP-LX70A - 04:15.7

As the Guinness ad goes, all good things come to those who wait....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, this is to get to the point when you can start watching the film (though we did deliberately choose a film with complex menus etc as a particularly stern test).

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply. however, this still does not account for the flimsy build quality, or that a games machine can load movies up to 5 times quicker than a dedicated deck.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Us gamers are impatient types!

Seriously though, it's something I don't understand about some BD players - loading times would be a crucial decision when I get a standalone BD player (as well as picture and sound quality obviously!) as I can't stand having to wait like this. Over 4 minutes to load a Blu-Ray - I'd be tearing out my hair (well, the little I have left anyway).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The newer-profile players do seem to handle things better - the new Panasonic, for example.

The first DVD players were like this, too (which seems to have been forgetten - but then I guess it was 10 years ago!). The joys of being an early adopter!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
My first DVD player was a PIONEER DV701 which cost me about £800 some ten years ago then another ton on top for multi-region via Techtronics who are now defunct, shame as I bet they would have solved the BD region guff!

I too have a PS3 for BD playback for a few reasons, Firstly I dont want to invest into a Player whilst the Profile issues are still going on and Secondly and more importantly I ma yet to see a BD player of decent build quality any where near that of my Denon DV3930, ther is no way on Earth that the Pioneer looks a grands worth to me as impressive as the picture may be!

So until I can find a standalone BD player of Very Good build quailty and preferibly profile 2.0, ten my PS3 will surfice until then. Also hopefully by then someone will have cracked this whole region issue!
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts