Pioneer BDP51-FD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All

Interesting read regarding blu-ray loading times thread, which brings me to the question -When or if - are Pioneer going to release the firmware update for the said player above...........

I have a Brand new plasma and blu-ray boxed and ready to set up, and would like to start my 1st HD experience not being dampened by long loading times etc.... (how long we talking by the way?)

Also any advice please with regard to the Panasonic plasma - setting up , running in etc?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Which Plasma is it? As a general rule, make sure it's not on the dynamic setting, which is designed for well lit shopfloors. If you have any Lucasfilm or Pixar DVDs then go to the THX Optimiser in the extras menu and run it to tweak your settings. We all have our own preferences for how we like things to look (and sound), but the THX thingy helps you get a good starting point from which you can fine tune to taste.

I recently changed from a Pana BD30 to the FD-51 and I can't say the loading times are a big issue. Perhaps a wee bit longer, but so what? There are more important things that outweigh it, such as the notable increase in picture quality for both BD and DVD. On this set-up, Lord of the Rings on DVD looks better than some BDs on the old player, and the new Bond BD had me grinning from ear to ear and dodging virtual bullets (although the sound difference is more due to the new matching receiver).

Get it out of the box and enjoy yourself!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good advise shuggieb.

I am still running f/w 1.17 and haven't updated to 1.25 as I heard some had issues with audio drop outs. 1.17 apparently also made a difference to loading times and I can't remember waiting for longer than say 40 seconds or so for a disc to start playing from the time the machine is switched on and operational (empty drawer) though I've never sat there with a stop watch
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replying.

The Plasma is a Panasonic TX-P42G10 and i got it at a fantastic price due to a website pricing it up wrong.i think i read that you had to be careful with a plasma when using it for the first time??.Maybe i misunderstood.

I don't think that i'll chance updating to 1.25 version of Pioneers update if it's going to cause problems, will wait for the next one that should include an update to make it decode DTS Master Audio...... is that right?

As for watching Lord of the Rings (extended editions) upscaled ... i can't wait,

At the moment i'm waiting for my father to come over and help me lift my 32" panasonic crt out of the living room that he's going to have, and then i'll can get the mrs and my little one to lose themselves for the day and i can go to town on setting everything up and hopefully tidy up the multitude of cables that are here and there. I also treated myself to a Atacama Equinox AV rack to place my new equipment on.... I must admit i have really enjoyed myself swotting up on which TV and Blu-Ray player to get, and now have just recieved a QED Qunex SR HDMI cable to finally link it together. (about time too),

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

I've got the BDP-51FD and just upgraded it to the latest firmware - the only issue I have experienced is having to reset the BD controller to 00 to control the volume on the Pioneer LX5090. But I don't think that much of Kuro Link in any case.

Have I noticed any improvement in Start Up - it seems marginally better. I did not do timings before the firmware upgrade though. I am still at times tempted to plug my ageing Sony DVD player though.

Burning in (as i understand it), avoid leaving static images (EPG, Console Menus etc) on the screen for too long in the first few months. Sorry this is not a more technical explanation! I did not take any extraordinary measures with my TV and it seems fine.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jasonh:
I don't think that i'll chance updating to 1.25 version of Pioneers update if it's going to cause problems, will wait for the next one that should include an update to make it decode DTS Master Audio...... is that right?

If you don't experience any problems with current f/w version ... that's right. Wait for the next one which should include DTS MA plus other useful adjustments.

TRENDING THREADS