Pioneer BDP-LX54 Sound Dropping out

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello

I want to see if anyone else is having this same problem or similar

I have a Pioneer LX-54 Blu Ray playing through a Pioneer LX-83 Amp.

I am am onto my second player - the second has the same problem as the first - the sound randomly drops out for a split second.

The first player had the newest firmware (updated by me) - the new player has the latest firmware on already.

I have tried the player in PCM and Bitstream it happens using both, it also happens with PQLS on and off

I have tried different HDMI Cables and Different HDMI inputs on the amp - still the same.

I want to try and deduce if the problem is with the amp (really hope not) or if this player is just in dire need of a newer firmware update. The amp does not do it for my other source - Freeview box also over HDMI it works perfectly other than that and sounds mustad!

I must admit I dont remember my first player doing it with the original firmware - however I only watched 1 film I think

My test disc is The A Team - it also has done it with Iron Man 2 and Toy Story 3 (on the first machine)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I think it's a common problem at the minute. There are several lip sync issues with several films including, Inception, Get him to the Greek, Sherlock Holmes and it refuses to load Treminator two Syberdyne edition at all. The lip sync can and do vary through the movies mentioned form a few tenths to over a second. There is a firm ware update imminent, but I was told this back at the beginning of January. As for the CD drop outs, I've also had these. They seem to be totally random and don't appear in the same place every time. I wonder if it's a Pioneer thing as everyone I've contacted as had a Pioneer amp and the LX54?

A

Anonymous

I have exactly the same problem with the LX-54 with exactly the same LX83 amp that you have. I reported this to Pioneer several weeks ago who supposedly have forwarded this onto their technical people. I have only noticed the problem when playing music CD's not yet with films but on CD's it is extremely annoying. It happens with PQLS switched on or off (Pioneer asked me to check this) The sound randomly drops for about a second every 5 mins or so. I also took the blu rayer player back for exchange and had exactly the same problem with the new player. I updated to latest firmware and that didn't solve it either. Tbh it is unbeleivable that Pioneer cannot make their own DVD players compatable with their own amps. I find it hard to believe that nobody in the technical department tested this which does make me wonder if it is a compatability issue either with the HDMI cable (Cambridge Audio 914 - includes ethernet capability) or the Panasonic VT20 that I bought. And I bought my stuff before xmas so didn't get the blu ray thrown in for free so not happy about that either. Having said that I am very happy with the overall picture and sound quality that comes out of this equipment.

A

Anonymous

I've had similar problems but there is a firmware update available as of the 7th march for the LX54. This includes iControl but not YouTube( if your bothered about it ) and fixes some of the problems. I still have problems with lip sync on several film. It seems to be something to do with DTS Master Audio tracks. At the minute Dolby True HD appears unaffected. There's no problem with DVD soundtracks. I'm using the VSX LX53 amp. Everyone using Pioneer gear with this player seems to be moaning. It's a joke that they can't get their own equipment to work together. Let's hope they work it out soon.

A

Anonymous

Hi, a quick update. The latest firmware still results in sound drop outs when listening to CDs. This defiantly happens when using PQSL. I've not tried it without but isn't the whole point that this system results in perfect transmission from one machine to the other. Some people have had a better time with blu-rays than I, but I'm still getting lip sync or stutters in the picture. The affected films are Get him to the Greek(lip sync), Sherlock Holmes(nearly in sync and the odd picture stutter) and Aliens( as Sherlock Holmes). If the last update is anything to go by, it'll be a couple of months before the next update. :-(

A

Anonymous

[edited by mods - House Rules]

Guessing that's why What Hi Fi haven't reviewed it yet. Hard to review something that is not fit for purpose!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Statement just in from Pioneer:

Pioneer is aware of some issues relating to its 3D compatible Blu-Ray players, the BDP-430 and BDP-LX54. A new firmware update was released on the 7th March which addressed some of these issues, information of which can be found on pioneer.co.uk.

Pioneer is aware that there are some outstanding issues, particularly relating to certain software titles, that this firmware does not resolve and we are currently working on a future firmware update to address these.

This is a priority for Pioneer. Please check the pioneer.co.uk website for further updates or contact the Pioneer Customer Relations team on 0330 1231240 or 0870 6001539.

A

Anonymous

I encountered the same defect you described - BDP-LX54 (which I just bought this week and with a firm ware updated) is connected to SC LX-83.

This is what I have observed - the initial setting of BDP-LX54 that resulted in the audio drop out was Bitstream (regardless if PQLS is on or not) during CD playback. This became worse during DVD playback - a complete loss of audio after an hour or so.

Now, after reading this forum, I have tried the audio setting on PCM, the audio drop out seems to go away for CD playback. However, it would not enable second audio (for different language).

I have selected Bitstream (mix) to get the second audio/language. Jittering was observed when Audio 1 is selected. Or long delay of audio to come back on if switching in between.

I did not encounter any of these defects with a Samsung Blueray player.

This is definitely a product defect of Pioneer Blueray Player. No one should put up with this.

A

Anonymous

I encountered the same defect you described - BDP-LX54 (which I just bought this week and with a firm ware updated) is connected to SC LX-83.

This is what I have observed - the initial setting of BDP-LX54 that resulted in the audio drop out was Bitstream (regardless if PQLS is on or not) during CD playback. This became worse during DVD playback - a complete loss of audio after an hour or so.

Now, after reading this forum, I have tried the audio setting on PCM, the audio drop out seems to go away for CD playback. However, it would not enable second audio (for different language).

I have selected Bitstream (mix) to get the second audio/language. Jittering was observed when Audio 1 is selected. Or long delay of audio to come back on if switching in between.

I did not encounter any of these defects with a Samsung Blueray player.

This is definitely a product defect of Pioneer Blueray Player. No one should put up with this.

A

Anonymous

Exactly the same problem here in Australia with bdplx54 / 83 reciever - cd audio random drop outs and lip sync problems - tried everything - even purchasing $300 worth of Audioquest hdmi 1.4 cable. Pioneer Aus phone support had never heard of the problem and offered no assistance other that a service job [no thanks]. Very disappointing really.

A

Anonymous

Looks like this may be about to get fixed....

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email, your enquiry has been registered in our system under reference number:

Pioneer ticket ref nr: 2003

"We are sorry to hear the problems you are facing with your unit. We can inform you that likely today there will be an update published on our website to solve these problems. Please let us know if you still have problems after updating the firmware."

Pioneer Europe Customer & Service Support

Having paid £400 for this machine in December (i didn't get a free one with my SCLX 83 amp) you still haven't fixed the CD sound dropping out or lip synching issues. Rumour is you are about to release a firmware patch. Will this fix the CD sound dropping issues? My patience is really wearing thin on this.

A

Anonymous

troutmouth said:
Exactly the same problem here in Australia with bdplx54 / 83 reciever - cd audio random drop outs and lip sync problems - tried everything - even purchasing $300 worth of Audioquest hdmi 1.4 cable. Pioneer Aus phone support had never heard of the problem and offered no assistance other that a service job [no thanks]. Very disappointing really.

I too am located in Aus and have had the same blunt service from pioneer. From one-liners that go nowhere when using their online support, to being treated poorly when visiting them in person by their receptionist in Melbourne. She is going to be in for a rude shock if she keeps it up. Very disappointing really, I have had Pioneer components for quite a while and this is beginning to leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

I have been having the same audio drop outs (CD's) with my BDP-LX54 (being used with a SC-LX73) and the unit is currently in at Pioneer for the second time. The first time they told me that they could find nothing wrong!

The receptionist told me they tested it extensively for hours and hours and when I insisted I speak to the technician myself he told me they played a couple of blue rays and about 6 songs using cd's (which is why I had taken it to them in the first place). I don't know how 6 songs can translate into extensive testing for the specific problem lol. The other funny part was she said it might be the speakers....What, all of them dropping out at the same time??!!!! lol she really shouldn’t be offering technical advice.

Has there been any development with the audio drop outs yet?

Surely they must know what the problem is, be it the player itself or a compatibility issue with their LX series receivers?

So disappointing.

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes there has been leaps and bounds in Pioneers development of BUGS and unresolved problems in there pioneer BDP, They have passed them on to there new Pioneer BDP LX55. And pioneers response to my emails is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts