Pioneer BDP-320 or LX52? How is LX52 better?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I've been thinking about the BDP-320, but also the LX52.

But what is the major asset going even further to the LX52?

Is the picture or sound better? I do not own a Pioneer TV.

A

Anonymous

I have see these both in action and its impossible to tell any dif , they look and sound the same.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Well, as ever, if you get the chance to do your own A-B comparison and can't spot a difference, then go for the cheaper player and enjoy spending those extra pennies.

However, our comparison found the 'LX52 delivered fuller sound with greater insight, while the picture quality was marginally sharper, too. Certainly for sound, and provided you have a decent sound system, we'd plump for the 'LX52.

A

Anonymous

Joe do you have any idea's on what might be causing these difference's , does the 52 have different dac's or is better build quality making these differences.? And maybe someone else might also have some idea's on this matter.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
They have different decoders for starters as the '52 quotes DTS-HD Master Audio Essential as opposed to DTS-HD Master Audio on the '320. The difference is minimal - a few codecs are missing - but clearly this shows they have different 'insides'...

DTS-HD Master Audio Essential provides the same quality high-end
sound offered by DTS-HD Master Audio, and is a full Master Audio
feature set for Blu-ray Disc, with the exception of DTS ES Matrix and
NEO 6.

Although DTS-HD Master Audio Essential does not
currently support DTS | 96 /24, DTS ES, ES Matrix, and DTS NEO 6, for
standard DVD discs, it offers DTS backwards compatibility, allowing you
to enjoy DVDs in high quality DTS Digital Surround.

A

Anonymous

You aren't going to notice the difference. Go for the cheaper option.

A

Anonymous

The LX52 has multi-channel PQLS capability over HDMI when paired with one of Pioneers new receivers that also supports multi-channel PQLS. This means greatly reduced jitter for LPCM between player and receiver on Blu-ray sound. The BDP-320 only supports it for 2-channel. This matters if you like the player to decode and mix in audio for picture in picture etc which you can't do with bitstream to an amp.

To whoever wondered about DACs in the players, they're not used unless you're using only 2 ch analogue as Pioneer stripped the multi-channel analogue outs from the European versions of these players.

A

Anonymous

Joe Cox:
They have different decoders for starters as the '52 quotes DTS-HD Master Audio Essential as opposed to DTS-HD Master Audio on the '320. The difference is minimal - a few codecs are missing - but clearly this shows they have different 'insides'...

DTS-HD Master Audio Essential provides the same quality high-end
sound offered by DTS-HD Master Audio, and is a full Master Audio
feature set for Blu-ray Disc, with the exception of DTS ES Matrix and
NEO 6.

Although DTS-HD Master Audio Essential does not
currently support DTS | 96 /24, DTS ES, ES Matrix, and DTS NEO 6, for
standard DVD discs, it offers DTS backwards compatibility, allowing you
to enjoy DVDs in high quality DTS Digital Surround.

I think you'll find none of Pioneers BD players will decode DTS 96/24 or ES, and technically are all 'Essential'. Certainly none list either format as supported in the manuals, even if the website marketing claims otherwise. And it's almost certainly the exact same decoder in the 320/LX52 as they use the same firmware, just like the older 51/71/08 which were also identical at the digital level.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
'I think you'll find'; 'almost certainly'' - have you done a head to head comparative test of both of the players in question? No trouble with people that have done that testing, then make their mind up - as Joe says, choose what you think suits you/ your budget best - but guessed-at specs are no way to form an opinion

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Peter Larsen:

EvilWolf:You aren't going to notice the difference. Go for the cheaper option.

I think I will. Thanks.

If you were considering paying for the LX52, it might be worth waiting a few days for the Oppo BD-831 review. It's spec offers far more than the similarly priced LX52 and I'd guarantee that it'll come out on top with SD upscaling because of the Anchor Bay chip. I would expect the Pioneer to be better with CD playback, but it looks like you've already got a dedicated CD player.

A

Anonymous

OK let me be more precise.

They DO use the exact same decoder, and that decoder is part of the same chipset also used by the previous generation machines, and none of them decode DTS-ES or 96/24. If you think different, press display twice and take a screenshot of the audio stream being decoded. Either Queen Greatest Hits DVD or a LOTR Extended DVD should supply popular source material.

Does the LX52 sound better than the 320? Well that would depend on exactly how you have them hooked up and to what. 2ch Analogue? Quite possibly, LPCM over HDMI? If you're using a new Pioneer Multi-ch PQLS amp then quite possibly too. So yes, you should listen for you yourself, but also understand where you are most likely to see a difference as if the PQLS thing makes a difference and you were unaware of it, didn't test it, and then bought the machine without it, you may have made your choice under the wrong impression. And if decoding DTS-ES or 96/24 is important in the player, and not the amp, then take a disc with one of them on it just to double check.

So I am not trying to say they will sound the same, just that differences lie outside the decoders, and should the OP ever plan to get a new Pioneer amp to match later, they might want to consider the real differences up front, which may leave more possibilities for upgrade later as I doubt Pioneer will drop PQLS any time soon. And seeing as LOTR hits Blu-ray later this year, and it's a hugely popular set of films, I suspect many of us may be tempted to try the interactive extras for a change which will mean in-player decoding even for HDMI, and so things like PQLS start to take on a greater significance on improving the quality of player decoded audio.

And I use the word possibly because sound can be highly subjective and down to personal preference. Some people hear differences and others stand there with a bemused look as they can't hear it. So it's very difficult to say you will definitely hear a difference, or even if you do, that you will prefer the same one. I apologise for trying to help. At least I didn't recommend the O......

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Ian_S: At least I didn't recommend the O......

Why's that then, have you seen/heard it compared to the Sony BDP-S350 or the Denon DVD-2500BT?

Surely if you're spending that amount of money it's worth waiting for the reveiw. I know people think us Oppo owners are all crazed Oppo subjects, but I for one can compare it to 2 other BD players which I've owned. I certainly don't get protective of hifi I own just because I've bought like some do. It may well be that WHF don't think it's good value for money, but if I was going to spend around £400-£500 on a player, I'd wait a couple of weeks for the review.

If you want a good quality blu-ray player, the Pioneer 320 will probably be a good bet, in fact I'd probably spend less and go for a budget Sony or Panasonic. But if you're still going to play a lot of DVD's plus want a few extras, then IMO the Oppo will offer more than the next model Pioneer at a lower price. Unfortunately, as Oppo are only going to be selling it via there online shop, it's never going to be very popular, reps and hifi shops will be slagging it off left, right & centre because they won't be able to sell it.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
So what is the web adress for the UK Oppo as I can only find the one for the imported model
emotion-7.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The UK site doesn't launch until next week, when the player should also become avaiiable to buy. Another reason we're taking our time on publishing what will be a very thorough review on a product we've been anticipating for almost a year

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ian_S:
I apologise for trying to help. At least I didn't recommend the O......

No need to apologise when you've gone into such detail! I was trying to stress the need for the OP to demo the two players - and others; as you agree re subjectivity

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I am intrigued as to how well it will score as the US model definatly has a following. Hopefully it does live up to all the hype as to date I have not found a BD player that not only is better than my PS3 for BD but also better than my Denon 3930 for DVD and CD.

Oh is there going to be the same Multi-region Mod for BD/DVD as with the US model?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:

I am intrigued as to how well it will score as the US model definatly has a following. Hopefully it does live up to all the hype as to date I have not found a BD player that not only is better than my PS3 for BD but also better than my Denon 3930 for DVD and CD.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the CD replay if you'd be using internal digital conversion, that's where I'd probably look to the Pioneer, but as for BD and DVD playback, I think you'd notice a big difference, especially with DVD. Having said that, I could see subtle improvements (less noise) with the Sony BDP-S350 over my sons PS3 for blu-ray.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I too notice quite a lot of picture noise on the PS3 with BD and personally if I compare DVD on the PS3 to my Denon 3930 the PS3 looks awfull.

My intension was to replace both units with one and use the multi-channel outs so I can finally hear HD sound on my older non-HDMI amp.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
For purely BD playback, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of diffrence in performance from good budget players to so called high-end machines. There definately are improvements, but they don't seem to be inline with the price increase you have to pay. That's why to my mind BD players over £300 have to offer quite a bit more than BD playback, some do, some don't!

D.J.KRIME: My intension was to replace both units with one and use the multi-channel outs so I can finally hear HD sound on my older non-HDMI amp.

I gues in your position where you are relying on the internal decoding properties of a player, then the higher priced BD players should have something to offer over the cheaper players. Maybe worth considering buying a cheaper BD player or sticking with your PS3 for while longer and putting the extra cash to a secondhand HDMI AV amp on that other forums classifieds.

TRENDING THREADS