Pioneer A400-Rotel 965BX-Mission 700i

KeesWIjn

Dec 4, 2022
Visit site
Older forum member may recognize the above set-up from the 90's. Well, I want to update it. I have already replaced the speakers with B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Editions and am now thinking of the next step. I wild like to get rid of all of my CDs and go streaming but that can be done later if needed.
I don't intend to use vinyl.
I was headed for the Cambridge CXA61, or possibly the CXA81 with the intent to add the CA CXN later. However, opinions seem mixed on the match of CXA to 606. Some recommend the Rega Brio, others some Rotel/NAD. I am also looking at the Bluesound range
Budget is in the range of £1000-1500 for amp and streamer.
Is there anyone who has made a similar change who can offer some input ?

Older forum member may recognize the above set-up from the 90's. Well, I want to update it. I have already replaced the speakers with B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Editions and am now thinking of the next step. I wild like to get rid of all of my CDs and go streaming but that can be done later if needed.
I don't intend to use vinyl.
I was headed for the Cambridge CXA61, or possibly the CXA81 with the intent to add the CA CXN later. However, opinions seem mixed on the match of CXA to 606. Some recommend the Rega Brio, others some Rotel/NAD. I am also looking at the Bluesound range
Budget is in the range of £1000-1500 for amp and streamer.
Is there anyone who has made a similar change who can offer some input ?
Hi

The only one I'm familiar with is the Rotel. I owned the RCD 975, one up from the 965BX, for many years.

When it comes to budget B&Ws only heard them sing with a Rotel integrated - these little B&Ws can be tricky suckers to get the ideal match.

I would strongly suggest demoing the Marantz 7000N, which is a amp and streamer. That said I've not heard any Marantz with Bowers and Wilkins. As I'm familiar with budget/midrange Marantzses.

Also worthwhile to listen to Rotel 11 Tribute. However, that is just a integrated so budget for a streaming devise.

Reactions: Al ears
Hi

The only one I'm familiar with is the Rotel. I owned the RCD 975, one up from the 965BX, for many years.

When it comes to budget B&Ws only heard them sing with a Rotel integrated - these little B&Ws can be tricky suckers to get the ideal match.

I would strongly suggest demoing the Marantz 7000N, which is a amp and streamer. That said I've not heard any Marantz with Bowers and Wilkins. As I'm familiar with budget/midrange Marantzses.

Also worthwhile to listen to Rotel 11 Tribute. However, that is just a integrated so budget for a streaming devise.
Pretty much what I was going to say.....
I might also recommend auditioning the Audiolab 6000A / 6000N combo.

OP you should hold on to the A-400 as it’s capable of handling much higher quality of sources and loudspeakers.

Parking the Bluesound for a moment none of the amplifiers and source components mentioned so far have the performance potential of A-400. To give you an idea from current crop of production loudspeakers at a minimum you’d need to be looking at using loudspeakers such as Monitor Audio’s 5G Gold 200’s.

Anyway, as you’ve already replaced your speakers then turn your attention to improving the quality of the source, Even though the RCD965 BX is Rotel’s most ‘musical’ source component to date however it can now be improved on both in terms of resolution and musicality within your budget

Fwiw, during the last lockdown January to April 2021 at home I had great results using my A-400 with DENAFRIPS Audio’s ARES II R-2R DAC @ a UK RRP £865. ARES II in conjunction with the RCD965 BX will get more from your CD’s and with a Bluesound (I used a dCS Network Bridge) makes an excellent streaming source.

KeesWIjn

Dec 4, 2022
Visit site
OP you should hold on to the A-400 as it’s capable of handling much higher quality of sources and loudspeakers.

Parking the Bluesound for a moment none of the amplifiers and source components mentioned so far have the performance potential of A-400. To give you an idea from current crop of production loudspeakers at a minimum you’d need to be looking at using loudspeakers such as Monitor Audio’s 5G Gold 200’s.

Anyway, as you’ve already replaced your speakers then turn your attention to improving the quality of the source, Even though the RCD965 BX is Rotel’s most ‘musical’ source component to date however it can now be improved on both in terms of resolution and musicality within your budget

Fwiw, during the last lockdown January to April 2021 at home I had great results using my A-400 with DENAFRIPS Audio’s ARES II R-2R DAC @ a UK RRP £865. ARES II in conjunction with the RCD965 BX will get more from your CD’s and with a Bluesound (I used a dCS Network Bridge) makes an excellent streaming source.
Thanks for this. I should add that I am not sure that my A-400 is 100%. It was bought in the UK and travelled with me through the Americas. I ran it of a pretty basic 220/110 V transformer but the key point is that UK works off 50Hz and Americas at 60Hz...but I'm not enough of an expert to assess the impact of this in an Amp. It also spent time in warm and more humid environments and even a fairly dusty/greasy environment as it was either in a room with no air-conditioning or an extended living kitchen. One channel had failed and I had someone look at it, he replaced some components and gave it a clean. It seems to sound OK but sometimes I detect what seems to sound like a bit of 'clipping' or distortion. The RCA jacks on the back seem to be iffy (I think one set does not work) and I would also like a remote. I had assumed that being ~30 years old....it has seen its best days.

Thanks for this. I should add that I am not sure that my A-400 is 100%. It was bought in the UK and travelled with me through the Americas. I ran it of a pretty basic 220/110 V transformer but the key point is that UK works off 50Hz and Americas at 60Hz...but I'm not enough of an expert to assess the impact of this in an Amp. It also spent time in warm and more humid environments and even a fairly dusty/greasy environment as it was either in a room with no air-conditioning or an extended living kitchen. One channel had failed and I had someone look at it, he replaced some components and gave it a clean. It seems to sound OK but sometimes I detect what seems to sound like a bit of 'clipping' or distortion. The RCA jacks on the back seem to be iffy (I think one set does not work) and I would also like a remote. I had assumed that being ~30 years old....it has seen its best days.
it may be suffering a bit.
Always best to buy an amplifier in the country in which you reside as correct power supply without the need for a transformer is always beneficial.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts