Pioneer A400 Amplifier Replacement

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been very pleased with my Pioneer A400 amplifier for 23 years. However, there are definte signs of it "going home" over the last month or so. I'm torn between trying to getting an old friend repaired and the lure of new HiFi.
I would appreciate some advice on where to start looking to get the same kind of powerful, straight through sound that the A400 gives me. My speakers are Kef Q15 and I use multiple sources - CD, Sonos Connect, Yamaha E800 Dolby Surround processor and a Rega P3 record deck so a phono stage is a must. My listening is very diverse, from Metallica to Laura Nvula, via The Human League, The Beatles, Genesis, Blondie, The Pixies and everything else inbetween.
Any advice for a starting position would be much appreciated and I guess I'm talking in the £hundreds rather than £thousands budget wise.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Onkyo TX8050. I have one and an A400, love them both, listen to a lot of similar music I suspect.

The Onkyo has bags of power, decent phono stage and on board DAC.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the Pioneer A-30 (I own one, awesome amp) or the Pioneer A-50. Both got some great reviews in german magazines.

matthewpiano

Having owned an A400, I'd suggest either the Denon PMA720AE or, if you can pay a bit more, the Rega Brio-R. Both fabulous amps. I haven't yet heard the Pioneer A-50 but it should be well worth a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts