Pink strobing on GT30/VT30 on BBC HD demo

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I was viewing a GT30 (50") and VT30 (42") in Panasonic store Brighton today.
Watching the BBC HD channel (during preview), I encountered horrific
pink vertical flashes in one section of the sample programmes.

The sequence was of a beige brick wall*, first off I noticed some discoloured pink contouring on the left of the screens, then to the right the walls were going absolutely mad with these vertical pink flashes!!
eek.gif

I think Ricky Gervais was in the internal scenes, will check further when I come across this again!

*I can't identify the programme yet, BBC have just changed all their sequences GRRRR!

The GT30 was at f/w 1217, the VT30 at f/w 1603.

Has anyone else encountered this anomaly?

Could this be a symptom of the fluctuating brightness problem? if so, just updating the f/w definitely does not fix this - both sets had been auto updated with recent firmware.
However, I could be seeing something quite different!
confused.gif

I was edging towards getting a GT30 which looked satisfactory for blacks, motion etc until I saw this nonsense
frown.gif

The extra filter does give more contrast and depth on the VT30 but I could be happy with a GT30 barring this
worrying horror!

What's occuring?
uhoh.gif

@Clare Newsome

If you can make some discrete enquiries with Panasonic technical team, it would be helpful.
I can't enquire myself, they already are reluctant to do an exchange for my Z1 TV. They want to
be sure that an exchange set won't cause me any problems! The way things are going a VT20
looks a much safer bet for me!
uhoh.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Have noticed nothing of this kind with either set.

Please, Darren - just stop looking at Panasonic sets; I think you're going to find fault with all of them.

After all the problems you have had, take the refund Panasonic has offered for your set and investigate your other options; both I and many other sympathetic users of these Forums have advised the same previously. Good luck.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Have noticed nothing of this kind with either set. Please, Darren - just stop looking at Panasonic sets; I think you're going to find fault with all of them. After all the problems you have had, take the refund Panasonic has offered for your set and investigate your other options; both I and many other sympathetic users of these Forums have advised the same previously. Good luck.

+1 for that Clare!

I have not seen anything like that issue with my GT30, i have had the BBC HD channel on for the last 10-15mins and there has been no pink flashing of the like you have seen in fact i have never seen this since i bought the tv, don't forget that the tvs in the showrooms are set to 'shop' mode so that could have something to do with it.

If i were you i just wouldn't buy another Panasonic tv knowing what you have been through with the last one, i was in the same position with Sony tvs and after 6 faulty tvs and battles to get a refund i vowed to never buy a Sony tv again and i've had far less issues since.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Of course, unless the TVs were each connected to their own aerial/satellite box/whatever (which is unlikely), the problems encountered by the OP could be caused by interference being picked up on the signal distribution system used in the shop.

John Duncan

Sounds a bit like moiré to me (ie a source problem, rather than a TV problem); brick walls are a favourite on camera sites for demonstrating how good their cameras are. That and cats - there wasn't any cat footage was there?

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Of course, unless the TVs were each connected to their own aerial/satellite box/whatever (which is unlikely), the problems encountered by the OP could be caused by interference being picked up on the signal distribution system used in the shop.

You could have a point there Andrew, I will check in another shop. The other thing that could be happening is that the
shop lights could be pulsing in sympathy with the plasma flashing; the shop was almost floodlight!!

Does that sound plausible to you? :?

If this is the case it's not something I would experience at home. :grin: I will go to another dealer to double-check, one where the lighting is more subdued.

@Clare, after all my bad luck I have to be ultra-prudent don't I? :roll: To get the contrast and black performance I am used to (or better), I don't see there is a viable alternative.... :?

I did check the same sequence on my Z1 : some mild contouring (better in THX mode) but no flashing at all.

The sequence is "Life is Too Short" starring Warwick Davis (Star Wars : Return of the Jedi) and the usual Rick Gervais and co.
The other sequences I saw on the BBC HD preview were perfect.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV said:
The other thing that could be happening is that the
shop lights could be pulsing in sympathy with the plasma flashing; the shop was almost floodlight!!

Does that sound plausible to you? :?

No, the lights pulsing in sympathy with the screen doesn't sound plausible, but could just be a happenstance interference between the screen's refresh rate and the 50Hz flicker of the lights in the shop.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I think you need to try and find a good dealer/retailer who can offer you a demo with a properly calibrated tv under home lighting conditions. Trying to decide which tv is best in one of those big electrical stores is almost impossible as they will have many tv's all hooked up to one poor quality feed and more than likely they will still be using the default settings designed to grab your attention in an overly bright store.

Spending just 5 mins with the THX optimiser made a huge difference to the picture quality over the standard settings on my tv (Pany 42PZ85). No doubt a properly calibrated tv under home lighting conditions with a proper feed would help you decide which tv is best for you.

A

Anonymous

My GT30 is perfect. I agree with others that it could be the source in the shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts