Phono stage

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently feeding my Technics SL 1210 with Ortofon OM20 cartridge through a Tapco (Mackie) Blend 6 mixing desk and then into NAD C 355BEE Integrated Amp (doesn't have a phono stage), Speakers are Mordaunt Short 206 Floor standers... I also have a Project Genie MK2 turntable going through the same system as well as an old Phillips CD 723. My question is will I radically improve the sound if I substitute the Tapco Mackie with a stand alone phono stage?.. I'm looking at amongst other things Project Phono Box 2 USB or Cambridge Audio 640p or perhaps NAD PP1... Many thanks.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Are you connecting the deck into one of the guitar inputs? This will act as a pre-amp, but won't give the necessary RIAA equalisation (google it if you're not sure what this means), so I'd say yes, a 'proper' phono stage will offer an improvement.

Does it sound a bit bright at the moment? One of the effects of the RIAA equalisation in a phono stage will be to change the apparent sound balance - hopefully for the better!

TRENDING THREADS