phono stage for Clearaudio Concept, SN2 and Martin Logan Motion 40

rainsoothe

hi,

I'm interested in geting the Clearaudio Concept, which i just auditioned today, and I'm looking for some advice on what phono stage i should go for.

My current setup is Dac V1 into SN2 and Martin Logan Motion 40, and I love the sound to bits, so i'm looking for something that resembles the sound signature of the above (the ML's sound big and meaty) and complements the turntable, the SN2 and ML's well.

I auditioned the Concept with Trigon Vanguard II phono stage + Volcano III power suply, Trigon Snowwhite preamp and Dwarf II monoblocks (in case anyone is faimiliar with these amps), which sounded pretty good, maybe a tad on the warmside for me.

1. What price bracket (considering the turntable) should I be looking at regarding the phono stage?
2. After some web browsing and other stuff, i've narrowed down the list to the following:
- Sutherland Ph3d
- Simaudio Moon 110LP
- Musical Fidelity V1NL
- Lehman Black Cube se II (i think? - dont know if I can get this in my country though)
- and, ofc, last but not least, Naim Stageline

If anyone heard or still uses any of the above and could give me some kind of description of the sound, please do and I would forever be in your debt (although I'm never gonna meet any of you, nor could I repay it with anything but a warmhearted "thanks" ) )

Also, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently in the process of home demoing both the Graham Slee Reflex M (with GS PSU) and the Rothwell Rialto to see how they compare to my onboard Creek Sequel 40 phono board. I would put both the GS and Rothwell on your short list, they are both excellent. Mind you having heard both of them up against the Creek I would also consider adding the Creek OBH-15 Mk2 to the list.

rainsoothe

hi, and thanks for the replies

Unfortunately the only one (of the ones you guys mentioned) that i can audition is the Creek, so I guess I'll try give that a whirl.

have a good one :)

p.s.: would also love some input from anyone that owns or has heard any of the ones i mentioned

rainsoothe

hi - sorry for the late response, and thanks for your replies

1. I live in bucharest, romania - hence access only to major international brands

2. no Trichord available for auditioning either i'm affraid, but thanks for the suggestion :)

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
hi - sorry for the late response, and thanks for your replies

1. I live in bucharest, romania - hence access only to major international brands

2. no Trichord available for auditioning either i'm affraid, but thanks for the suggestion :)

Please, go to the Graham Slee website and join the Owners' Club Forum (you don't have to be an owner to join). When you have done this, announce your arrival and check out the European Loaner Scheme. You could end up with a couple of different models on loan for two weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts