Phillips BDP3000

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
i dont know, the Tevion got a good write up on 2 other review sites. Plus you can hack the bluray codes on it

Thats a bonus well worth investing in
emotion-15.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Ginder:Is this blu ray player any good? Must be cheapest iv seen and more likely better than Tevion and only costs £97 from Asda!!

4 stars from us, as you can read here, and that was at £169. If you can get it for £97, that's seriously good value.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Andy do you know anything about the Tevion DVD1100? As the Philips represents very good value as a bluray player under £100

Surely the Aldi player represents good value also as it has a faultless picture and sound performance for the price (according to the reviewer) has a Ethernet port, Profile 2.0 enabled and is Bluray hackable. Which is brilliant for the cash!!

Surely that deserves a review??

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:

Ginder:Is this blu ray player any good? Must be cheapest iv seen and more likely better than Tevion and only costs £97 from Asda!!

4 stars from us, as you can read here, and that was at £169. If you can get it for £97, that's seriously good value.

Not trying to raise the debate about stars but would it mean that in the sub £100 market would this be a 5 star player? Or do other sub £100 players have better features?

Just did a quick google search and have also seen it on Amazon for £99!!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Ginder:Andy Clough:

Not trying to raise the debate about stars but would it mean that in the sub £100 market would this be a 5 star player? Or do other sub £100 players have better features?

Just did a quick google search and have also seen it on Amazon for £99!!

Even at that price, the sound still lacks a little solidity, bright colours can look a little OTT and fast motion could be handled a touch more smoothly.

That said, there aren't many BD players under £100 yet. But Sony's Award-winning BDP-S360
will clearly outperform the Philips, and you can get that now for around £140, so if you want the best performance from a budget player, I reckon it's worth considering spending the extra cash if you can.

A

Anonymous

I bought this for £97 from ASDA. My first Bluray player, so thought if it wasn't any good it could always go in the bedroom.

I can't compare to any other units but I do like to think I have a keen eye. Very good picture quality but I HAVE 'JUDD' ISSUES!

1) I have noticed that when playing Bluray discs at 1080p 24Hz I get the occassional 'judd'. Too much to call it judder or motion blur or judder related to the camera panning. Happens about every minute or so. The 'average' viewer wouldn't notice it.

It is like a frame skips, a blink of an eye, in fact quicker. You would hardly notice it but it is there. And of course, once you know, you are waiting for the next one to happen. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS NORMAL WITH BLURAY? I am playing via HDMI to a Samsung LE-40A656 which should cope with the 24Hz easily. Changing to non 24Hz 1080 doesn't solve it. Any advice would be appreciated.

2) Played the bonus material from the Twilight disc today. The Auto video setting sent the signal in 1080 (not 24Hz)...lots of judder. Manual adjust to 576p sorted it.

3) Plays DVDs well in auto mode. Upscales fine. Probably not the most detail but adequate.

4) Very simple menus. I like these.

I have just updated to the latest software so will see if the judder issue with Blurays continues. It is a shame because this fundamentally is a good machine. But slightly disappointed. There is no excuse for hops, skips and jumps no matter how tiny and no matter how cheap/good value.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Recently I've played with a bd3000 and a LG lh3000 and I noticed that same judder..also changed to non 24p and the same judder ocurred. I thought it was due to the lh300 beeing only a 50 hz tv but, I also had the same doubt if the problem was on the bd3000.detail and colors were nice but judder put me off buying it

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
why is it that i didn't notice judder with dvds and i also dont notice it when I go to the movies????? and why do I notice it on blu-rays? is technology just a lot of bull...?

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
The Tevion sold by Aldi is a rebadged Momitsu BDP 899.

Where for £119 can you buy a blu ray player that is hackable with a simple code that will play all region blu ray discs...
+ A 3 warranty.

Bottom line....YOU CANT....

OK there is one other on sale and it,s cheaper than the Tevion, again a rebadged Momitsu but i am keeping quiet.

In a previous post i said i would,nt touch the Tevion with a barge pole.
emotion-10.gif

But i gave in, and it,s excellent, with my Panny Plasma there is not a lot of difference between it and my Sony 350, and heres the deal.

CHEAP region 1 Blu rays from the States, quiet a few not released over here.

Keep it under £18 gbp and no import tax or vat....

A

Anonymous

Update to my last post:

Have tested a few BD movies with the new software update (MAINBOARD 941.4, DRIVER 0700) and fingers crossed the Bluray judder or 'judd' as I described it has gone. I don't want to speak to soon but fingers crossed. Will continue testing tomorrow.

Is there anyway What HiFi could confirm with Philips if they are aware of the problem and that it was addressed in this update?

If this problem has gone away, then for £97 I think I might have an absolute winner here !!!!

A

Anonymous

Interesting...

If you set the Video output to Auto you do seem to get the best judder free image. The Philips BDP3000 kicks off in 1080p 24Hz..which looks great. However, if you toggle through the video outputs using the HDMI button on the remote you have a choice..Auto> Native> 480/576> 1080i> 1080P>1080P24 and so forth.

If you change the resolution then decide to go back to Auto...My TV says it is no longer receiving at 24Hz but what I think is the Native i.e. 1080 at 50Hz.

I find the judder very evident once you come away from the 24Hz. Not good at all.

Would be nice if you could get it back to 1080p 24Hz during playback.

Discs tested: Quantum of Solace, Twilight and Die hard 4.0

A

Anonymous

Yes, I can now summarise the video resolution issues this player seems to have (well, at least when playing to a Samsung LE40A656 via HDMI)

If video res is set to auto the machine starts to play at 1080p/24 - this gives the stutter I mentioned.

For the purpose of testing...going through the other resolutions:

576/720p/1080i/1080P: all displayed at 50Hz: Unwatchable Judder

Go back to Auto: This no longer transmits at 24hz but 1080P @60Hz...which, guess what...is a good decent picture with no stutter/judder.

But switch the machine off, the next you play a disc it starts at 24Hz. So you have to change to another resolution then back to Auto to get the 60Hz 1080p.!!!!

So, sadly this machine is going back tomorrow. Roll on Sony BDP-S360.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts