Philips tvs confusing??????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone im loking o buy a new flat screen and from what i can see philips is prob the way to go. id love to buy the 40PFL9704 but just a tad expensive ..on searching around ive come accross a model (PHILIPS 40PFL8664H ) but can not find a review for it on whathifi?? seems theres lots of models which dont even get reviewed. the model in question seems to tick all the boxes but with out some kind of feed back im hesitent to splash the cash just yet.

Any comments on this issue greatly appriciated

Rob M

Tooslow

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Rob,

At first I thougt this was the old Curry's trick - "we'll give this a slightly different model nbr so you can't price compare" but it seems to be a "proper" Philips model nbr. I'd say two things;

if this is a new model, wait a few months and the price will drop. For instance I didn't see Freeview HD in the (very) quick glance I had at the spec so once the 2010 models, on which Freeview HD seems to be the norm, start arriving in the shops the price will drop.

if you Google the model nbr and "reviews" you can sometime find "professional" reviews but you can always find personal views. Whether you put any weight in them is up to you. If they all say the same thing then they may be trustworthy, if they're all over the place... Make allowances for the one or two who are never happy! Incidentally, that will bring up http://whathifi.com/news/IFA-News-Philips-lights-the-way-with-Aurea-3-and-LED-backlighting/

Finally the mags can't review ALL of the models in ALL of the sizes so you may have to go with "it's big brother in the same range got a good review so it's probably ok". You can always go into a shop and use your eyeballs if you can find one in stock.

Good luck

JH

A

Anonymous

cheers for that

yes i agree sometimes they do tend to change the model number for certain stores own branding but i also agree this doesnt seem to be the case in this instane. I do tend to go by review these days as ive found tha looking at picture quality in store is pretty hit and miss due to the fact that they either play a hd movie in which case they all look pretty good or they have about 2000 tvs all running off one poxy arial and they all look rubbish a little more research is needed me thinks ...ow thinking of getting a set that has free sat as well as normal digital dont want much do i lol

Tooslow

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
You need next months issue of WHF then! "New season sets on test" says this month's mag. With any luck there'll be something of the size / price you want. Then all you have to do is find one in stock
emotion-6.gif

JH

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
yep, we've a Supertest of 40-42in TVs in our next issue, PLUS a special, 36-guide to all your TV options for 2010.

Issue gets posted out to subscribers next Tuesday (30th), and will be in shops by April 7th.

TRENDING THREADS