Philips 56PFL9954 - £999 @ richersounds

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I say if you are seating fairly close and watching HD (42-46 recommended distance for HD, TV is only the height of a 42-44inch) - Yes

For the money and the fact it looks so impressive - yes buy.

You do have press a extra button (shift up/arrow up on remote) sometimes if you want to see news tickers (sky news etc) at bottom of screen when watching sky HD in 21:9. No different than normal TV if viewing in 16:9 (apart from black bars at the side).

Settings recomendations here (both below say colour should be set to 50 but 60 is better using a DVD with a THX setup on it)

http://www.televisions.com/tvs/philips-televisions/philips-lcd-tvs/Philips-Cinema-219---56-PFL-9954-H/Colors-and-Ideal-Settings.php

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1250060925

D

Deleted member 2457

What hifi have reviewed this tv

http://whathifi.com/Review/Philips-Cinema-219-56PFL9954H/

So surely a better link
emotion-55.gif

A

Anonymous

The little extra for 5 years warrenty may be a good bargain too.

A

Anonymous

It's all very well getting exited about the Wide 21:9 Cinema Screen for films but just how much time does Mr Average sit watching films?

Surely the majority of veiwing content is broadcast in 16:9 and as such to use the full benifit of the larger screen you would have to continually stretch the 16:9 picture to fit, almost a third wider, surely that must distort the characters on screen when watching Sport or Soap or Documentaries to an unacceptably unrealistic level.

It is no good saying use the 16:9 mode coz if that's the case why buy it in the first place.

I would welcome some feed back from the editor and any other observers on these concerns.

Taurus

A

Anonymous

It is realy not that complex. You dont streatch 16:9 material.

With a 21:9 you can get a bigger screen for movies without getting a huge TV set, consider a 21:9 to be a streached TV set - a 56" 21:9 is a streached 42" 16:9. Instead of buying a normal 42" you buy a 56" 21:9.

The material in 16:9 aspect ratio is watched in same size on both TV sets - but films much bigger on the 21:9 ( corresponds to a 61" 16:9 TV set ).

If you have the room, you could ofcause buy a 62" 16:9, but if you have the room for this, then why not buy a 80" 21:9 which will seem smaller than the 62" 16:9 ---- and so on.

One important issue is the movie experience, for some reason the cinematic experience is much higher when the movie fits the screen. If a Philips, the Ambilight fits to the movie.

This is ofcause highly subjective matter, there is no right answer.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
PeterHerz:If you have the room, you could ofcause buy a 62" 16:9, but if you have the room for this, then why not buy a 80" 21:9

Because, to my knowledge, nobody sells one, outside of projector based systems.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Considering it's launch price of 4K that is a fantastic price. It was the ONLY TV i was considering to purchase over my current Kuro and at the time i knew the Kuro was the best TV in the world and i already owned a pioneer , but with pioneer announcing they weren't making TV's any more and my preference of cinema over TV the 21:9 did take my interest in the end the price difference didn't make it viable so i went with the Kuro. At £999 you would be getting a great bargain. I would not consider the aspect ratio to be a problem as you won't even notice it once your eyes adjust to what you are looking at (remember when we moved from 4:3 to 16:9). If you have any passion for watching films over standard TV it will be a positive point rather than a negative one. If you are not interested in 3D it would be a great choice that's unique compared to the competition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts