Philips 42PFL9664 picture judder

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
im not sure about the backlight issue, would be useful if others advised aswell, im not sure if im correct in saying that over time it could get worse or it wont change at all. but i would have thought first checking dark scenes in film would be a good start. when my tv screen is blank i dont get any noticable patches of light it looks even in its blackness! your not seeing reflections on the screen? its definately coming from screen?

yeah just connect an aerial to your tv and you will get freeview channels, they might be a little fuzzy/grainy as youd expect but you shouldnt get any black bars.

i best do some work!

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
badamz! hows it going? yes lets not steal another thread lol im sure people have read our comments elsewhere and seen our love blossom
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Please don't let me distract you from work j4mm3r! The brightness eminates from the screen corners forming arcs of brightness which gradually fade towards the centre of the screen. I'm sure it's not reflection as I even turned the lights off to eliminate that possibility. I did wonder whether setting the light sensor to off may have caused this to be more of an issue than it might be if the sensor was on, so perhaps another test to do.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
underandover, i would say that doesnt sound very good for a new tv! id do the freeview test later and see what results you get. but id be ready to get a second opinion from richer sounds, the light issue sounds bad to me.

badamz, lol meaning laugh out loud or lots of love!

A

Anonymous

j4mm3r, I notice that you have a Denon 2310. I did post earlier but it got lost in the deluge!!! To summarise if I have all of the processing turned on to (try to) avoid judder does it cause lip sync lag when routed through the Denon 2310 amp?

A

Anonymous

You can set the delay for each input on Denon amps to comensate for processing delay (as j4mm3r will confirm). HDMI has an automatic feature for this problem too.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
harmunt, yeah sorry forgot that. do you have sky also? as i use a setting on there to delay sound and i set my avr to delay sound aswell, and together the two sorts it out. sometimes when switching to hd channels the sound can be out, sd is fine and hd in general is but every now and then a hd channel might be out so i tweak it to suit. i have the motion setting to minimum and to be honest ive not thought about turning off, i might give it ago and see if it improves things and or affects motion.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
should say i have an optical lead from sky to avr and hdmi from sky to avr so the sound and picture are separate, as opposed to all from hdmi which might be better but sky cant send 5.1 over hdmi hence optical out.

A

Anonymous

Yep, planning on getting Sky HD also. Thanks for the advice.

Am I to assume that you don't experience any judder on your set then? It's the one thing my wife will notice if I buy this TV...

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
oh dear the wife, not an easy task you have then.

sort of follows on from earlier if you have good source then all should be fine. in the set up i have i havent experienced judder, ive only noticed flickering of a football on one occassion and ive watched a lot of football. tv programs and movies have been great with no noticable flickering etc that others have mentioned. think sky hd and avr upscaling has helped picture no end

A

Anonymous

a lot of recent 42pfl9664 purchases are talking about picture "judder" is this probably due to a much needed digital ariel update ?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
this I dont get.Lg shares same panels as philips and they do SD images correctly in they entry level lcd's (of course some judder beeing only 50 hz).The same goes for samsung , they share panels with sony and their entry level( 5 series) also doesnt have deinterlacing problems as some entry level sonys with bravia 2 engine.for eliminating low camera pan judder , the sony100hz beats hands down the philips.philips introduces so many artifacts.in the entry line philips 5 series there is so much judder(but not blurr) .the entry line % samsung has some blurr and less judder than the philips 5 series .so in conclusion...or I live with judder or I go for a sony 100hz.but as i cant put up my mind , prices become cheapers....great hobby...

D

Deleted member 2457

Philips lcd's take a while to get used too, don't worry just leave it a couple of months and you will think what was all the fuss about.

Then you will be able to enjoy the fantastic pictures.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I think it's also worth saying that it's a bit of a culture shock going from a smaller CRT to a big LCD. I think with smaller CRTs (and let's not forget in reality that 32" CRT was probably 30" in real terms) the picture does look relatively good from the normal viewing distance, upclose you can see the line easily and they don't look as good IMO (but then neither does a big LCD showing SD!). However, assuming the same viewing distance, if you scaled that 30" to the equivalent size of a 42" LCD ( probably near double screen area?) then the picture would look terrible.

I've had a Philips 32 widescreen (one of the last CRTs they made) and the picture was good and I really liked the natural motion function which at first made everything look "different" as though it was unreal but I liked it. Up close you can see the digital artifacts/halos around people but not at a reasaonable distance. I've also had the Tosiba 36ZP18 PictureFrame, one of the best CRTs I think you could get and as I said earier if you scaled that picture up it wouldn't look as good IMO.

But as has been said to make the big LCDs look good from the same viewing distance you need a decent source; my Toshiba 46" LCD looked awful with a SCART, a high quality gold plated SCART improved things (as did ensuring it was set on RGB out), but the real difference came running it via HDMI from a Virgin V+ box. And of course HD stuff looks brilliant on it, this being really what these TVs are sat waiting for. It's just a shame the consumer technology is way ahead of what is being broadcast at the moment.

A

Anonymous

It's been a few weeks since I first posted about the problems I am having with my Philips 42PFL9664, and after receiving lots of good suggestions, thanks everyone, I thought I should report back on the results. I'm disappointed to say that I still have the same issues with this tv, namely:

1) Picture judder, artifacing, shimmer. This occurs with all sources, all of which are connected using award winning HDMI cables. The only way to resolve this is to turn off natural motion. Question here is, what am I'm losing out on by turning this setting off?

2) Faint lines on the screen, particularly noticeable when watch sport. I have seen some other owners posting about this issue. I haven't found any setting which leads to improvements. Hugely annoying.

3) Backlight bleed in the screen corners. It is there with all sources and changing settings doesn't seem to help. This issue is the least distracting of the three, and being new to LCDs I'm not sure whether or not some slight backlight bleed is to be expected.

I am in a bit of a quandary as to what to do about this because I'm not sure that any of these issues would be regarded as a fault, particualry 1) as so many owners have reported the same issue and it can be resolved by turning off natural motion altogether. I would be interested to hear from anyone on the What Hifi team with their views on these issues, which it seems are not isolated judging from the other posts about this tv. As I said in my earlier posts, other than these issues the tv is lovely, but I am disappointed because these issues are distracting and serve to remind me that these distractions cost me £1500! From a highly acclaimed award winner, costing as much as it does, I expected better.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
underandover:
It's been a few weeks since I first posted about the problems I am having with my Philips 42PFL9664, and after receiving lots of good suggestions, thanks everyone, I thought I should report back on the results. I'm disappointed to say that I still have the same issues with this tv, namely:

1) Picture judder, artifacing, shimmer. This occurs with all sources, all of which are connected using award winning HDMI cables. The only way to resolve this is to turn off natural motion. Question here is, what am I'm losing out on by turning this setting off?

2) Faint lines on the screen, particularly noticeable when watch sport. I have seen some other owners posting about this issue. I haven't found any setting which leads to improvements. Hugely annoying.

3) Backlight bleed in the screen corners. It is there with all sources and changing settings doesn't seem to help. This issue is the least distracting of the three, and being new to LCDs I'm not sure whether or not some slight backlight bleed is to be expected.

I am in a bit of a quandary as to what to do about this because I'm not sure that any of these issues would be regarded as a fault, particualry 1) as so many owners have reported the same issue and it can be resolved by turning off natural motion altogether. I would be interested to hear from anyone on the What Hifi team with their views on these issues, which it seems are not isolated judging from the other posts about this tv. As I said in my earlier posts, other than these issues the tv is lovely, but I am disappointed because these issues are distracting and serve to remind me that these distractions cost me £1500! From a highly acclaimed award winner, costing as much as it does, I expected better.

1 ~ your not losing anything. 'natural motion' is just some philips BS that changes the way motion works. Your always better having these switched off anyways

2 ~ Cant see you getting anywhere with that unfortunately

3 ~ Bad backlighting tends to clear up over time. HOWEVER, you should try to calibrate the panel as best you can (especially setting the 'black level' with the brightness and backlight settings). Most people tend to have the backlight set way too high

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
There's certainly no hint of backlight bleed or faint lines on my 9664. I have Natural Motion switched off too, and I don't think this matters a jot.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy. Glad to hear you don't think turning natural motion off matters. Does make me wonder how much of the £1500 cost was attributable to a natural motion feature which only improves the tv if turned off! Sounds like I should call the retailer about the faint lines if you don't see them on your set - must be a problem with my set.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy. Yes, I used these to begin with. The only permanent change I've made is to turn perfect pixel off to stop the issue with the picture judder/shimmer.

TRENDING THREADS