Philips 40pfl9704 tv is it the best around?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

I have read the reviews and seen this tv but i just wanted to know what other people thought was the best 40-42 inch tv at the moment?

Do you agree this is the best or is something else better and why?

Any contributions great,

Thanks

Do i wait for abit possbily the philips 40pfl9705, will there be a better freeview tuner it that one? Better sound possibly by the looks of the design?

A

Anonymous

the 9704 is the best philips avilable now , obviously you would expect its replacement to be better , but i dont think the new philips range will have built in hd freeview , not this year anyway afaik...

the panasonic 42v20 is another to consider gel
emotion-15.gif

but you wouldnt desert philips would you
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

the 9704 is the best philips avilable now , obviously you would expect its replacement to be better , but i dont think the new philips range will have built in hd freeview , not this year anyway afaik...

the panasonic 42v20 is another to consider gel
emotion-15.gif

but you wouldnt desert philips would you
emotion-5.gif

I don't know right now Max, i am thinking even a Sony
emotion-4.gif

The philips right now are silver i prefer black, the next philips is black. i want a good freeview tuner the one in the philps at present has soft freeview pictures, possibly better next time? Sound wise they say it is the best around but is the best actually really good compared to 2-3 years given by how much they have slimmed down.?

D

Deleted member 2457

Pindi:I think it's worth waiting for this year's models, Gel. Freeview HD would probably be built-in, too.

Thanks Pindi right now i am thinking along those lines too.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

i wouldnt have thought sound was important to you ? seeing as you have surround sound ...

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:i wouldnt have thought sound was important to you ? seeing as you have surround sound ...

I love watching live music videos on Sky and really blasting the volume up, so it is a big factor for me.

I only use my system for blu rays, nothing else.

A

Anonymous

hmmm , ok ..

well the 9704 has the best sound bar the hyper expensive b and o,s ...

compared to 3 or 4 year old sets ? i dont know ....it makes no difference anyway unless you are also considering an older set ....

D

Deleted member 2457

i suppose you can't get a projector at 42 inches right?
emotion-1.gif

So my options are:

1. Philips 40pfl9704

2 Philips 42pfl9664

3. Philips 40pfl9705 am thinking this one.

4. The Sony new ones 8 something and the 9 something not sure on the codes

5. Panasonic 42V one like you say.

Are they the best around? and my only options here.

A

Anonymous

they are all great tvs , i seen the sony h series yday , very nice ..

btw , panasonic are going to release a 42vt20 3d tv in september
emotion-4.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I am looking at these tvs and am very confused right now, my current tv has excellent sound a briilinat tuner, great picture.

Pioneer 42inches no longer a option, philips options are limited, it is not an easy decision.

I mean if there was one stand out tv i would go for it.

I look at tvs and think they have got worse.

A

Anonymous

gel trust me , have a good look at a pana 42v20 , its very very close in performance to the pioneer kuro ..

and you can get one for around £1250
emotion-15.gif

freeview hd too...

D

Deleted member 2457

It's not my cup of tea Max but i do think they are very good and would recommend them to other people.

Do you think this theory is true Max the lighter a tv gets the worse it gets?

A

Anonymous

no , the thinner they get the worse they sound .. but their weight shouldnt affect the pq imo...

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
gel:

emotion-1.gif

So my options are:

1. Philips 40pfl9704

2 Philips 42pfl9664

Well, I wouldn't hesitate one minute to pick the Panasonic V20. The best 42 inch TV around in my opinion, but that probably doesn't surprice you
emotion-5.gif

No, seriously, I know the Philips 40pfl9704 is highly rated on this forum. I personally never understood why. Although black levels are excellent, shadow details suffers. Search around and you will find some conflicting reviews. Next generation Philips I cannot comment on as I haven't seen it or any good reviews yet.

If you do not like Panasonic (or plasma) I would rather go for Sony.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss:

I thought you had second thoughts about Philips ever since the ambilight of your TV started to malfunction, gel.

If not Philips, then look at Sony, Samsung & Panasonic.

Nope never had second thoughts about Philips tvs, for me pioneer and philips have been in a league of their own for the last, well for a lot of years, but i am not sure about the current philips tvs, i mean don't get me wrong they are definetely up there with the best tvs at present, if not the best.

I just want the all round package to be right for me.

I saw the Sonys this morning and the sound was rubbish on them the 8 series that was, picture good, not sure about what the tuner was like but it was HD, picture looked good but did it warrant the price considering these are expensive.

If the pioneer 42 inches were available right now the plasma that is i would consider them seriously from what i have seen.

D

Deleted member 2457

TKratz:gel:

emotion-1.gif

So my options are:

1. Philips 40pfl9704

2 Philips 42pfl9664

Well, I wouldn't hesitate one minute to pick the Panasonic V20. The best 42 inch TV around in my opinion, but that probably doesn't surprice you
emotion-5.gif

No, seriously, I know the Philips 40pfl9704 is highly rated on this forum. I personally never understood why. Although black levels are excellent, shadow details suffers. Search around and you will find some conflicting reviews. Next generation Philips I cannot comment on as I haven't seen it or any good reviews yet.

If you do not like Panasonic (or plasma) I would rather go for Sony.

Nope does not suprise me
emotion-1.gif

i am starting to see why there are some conflicting reports about the philips tvs I mean i think they are good but i think they have gone backwards from a couple of years ago, hopefully next one will be the all round package for me.

I have been looking at the Sonys and the 8 series and 9 series represent a serious outlay of money now and with the lack of really good sound there I am tempted to wait for the next generation of philips.

The panasonic have not got major sound on them but have got a really good picture, i think i i will pop into Costco and have a look at them there and see if i can see a difference in picture quality from the panasonic shop

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts