Philips 37PFL9604 or 42PFL9664

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is my first post and I am sorry if you,ve discussed this before but I am in a bit of a quandry.

I am in the market to replace a now defunct Toshiba 32" widescreen CRT and I have finally short listed the Philips 37PFL9604 & the Philips 42PFL9664 based on magazine and on-line research.

The trouble is I can't make up my mind as to which is the better TV. I know on paper the 42" 9664 is better with 200Hz, 24fps, 1 ms reponse but it seems to me that most of this is switched off when watching SD to get a better picture. So with this in mind would the 37" 9604 be a better bet seeing as it 'only' has 100Hz? What does all this processing mean in the real world? as I would mostly be watching SD through a Virgin V+ box with occasioal forays into HD & Blue- Ray.

Or to make matters really confusing should I wait until Philips bring out their new range in May!

HELP!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

the only real differences are the 200hz and the extra 5 inches . and of course , the price , i personally wouldnt think the 200hz is worth the extra money , but , richer sounds are now doing the 9664 for £1299 , the 9604 is still a grand , i think the xtra 5 inches is worth the £300 difference...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response but, bigger isn't always better (or is it?). What does the 200Hz really do? Is it because the screen is larger & therefore needs to process things quicker, is that why the 37" only has (and needs)100Hz. Baring in mind that the majority of viewing will be SD at the mo. I also read that the new 9000 series has 400hz.

Oh my, choices, choices.......

D

Deleted member 2457

Anyone know how much the new ones are going to cost? And how much for these "3D pack's" philips rudely left out?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

09 was the year of the hetrz , lol , every tv maker was coming up with new figures , 200 , 400 , 600 , i dont think it means much , the 9604 has 100 htz , which should be fine , although as you say , some people turn it off anyway ..

if you dont want a bigger screen , theres no point in getting the 9664 imo ..

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
To me the 42" is a better set. It is slimmer as well if that matters to you. To add to the confusion the 37" is now finished so unless your local dealer has it in stock you are unlikely to be able to buy one.

The 37" will be in the 8 series in next years line up , as far as I am aware the 9605 will not be coming to the UK.

With the new £1299 price point on the 42" that would be my choice - that or a Panasonic 42G20.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Selly72, don't get too hung up on the specs. If you can get the 42PFL9664, I'd go for that, it's a fabulous set. Yes, there will be new Philips sets in due course, but then there will be every year, so you have to take the plunge at some point.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel:

Anyone know how much the new ones are going to cost? And how much for these "3D pack's" philips rudely left out?

Thanks

Just be checking around on the internet, someone is saying £1900 for the philips 40pfl9705 without the 3D pack and glasses.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all of your input. I know there will be a new line up every year but with a new load of Philips tv's being brought out around May time I just thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to wait (until the prices put me off!)

A

Anonymous

i doubt philips can squeeze much more out of the conventional lcd tv , the 9664 is so good , at £1299 its tempting , philips will probably pitch its replacement in at around £1700 , will it even be much better ?? unlikely , maybe more features , if i were wanting a philips , id pounce now at the right price ..

you can forget philips 3dtvs
emotion-19.gif
unless you win the lotto

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll wait for the next edition of WHF S&V (I believe it reviewing 2010 TV's) and unless something drastic changes 9664 it is then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts